UNC vs. SMU

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Center2450

UNC vs. SMU

Postby Center2450 » Fri May 07, 2010 1:11 pm

I am deciding between the two and wondering what opinions are in general.

I don't know where I want to live, so please don't use the "go where you're gonna live".

I am just curious of people's raw opinions.

HBK

Re: UNC vs. SMU

Postby HBK » Fri May 07, 2010 1:17 pm

If you're single, I'd say UNC. Duke girls are easy.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Fri May 07, 2010 1:21 pm

Center2450 wrote:I am deciding between the two and wondering what opinions are in general.

I don't know where I want to live, so please don't use the "go where you're gonna live".

I am just curious of people's raw opinions.
i think texas is a better place to try to obtain legal employment than is north carolina, so i'd go with smu.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri May 07, 2010 1:37 pm

Center2450 wrote:I don't know where I want to live, so please don't use the "go where you're gonna live".

Well, um... maybe you should figure that out? There is a big difference between not knowing and not caring.

SMU is great for Dallas, which is a market that is doing better than most ITE. Outside of Dallas, you are going to have a little more competition from UT graduates primarily, and other schools as well depending where you settle (e.g. UH for Houston).

UNC is a better school than it is ranked, and carries a great reputation, especially in the southeast. They have great clerkship placement and tend to be focused more towards public service (in a good economy only about 15% of the class go into big law). If you happen to be a NC resident, the in-state tuition makes UNC a great deal and hard to turn down, even if you are looking at some T20 offers.

When it comes down to it, though, both are regional. If you don't CARE where you work, then I would take UNC. If you don't KNOW where you want to work, I would find out and choose based on that information.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”