Submitting app before LSAT?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sanetruth

Submitting app before LSAT?

Postby sanetruth » Fri May 07, 2010 10:30 am

So I know that a lot of (most?) schools allow you to submit your application before you receive your LSAT score in order to get the app in early even if you're waiting for your October LSAT score to come in. However, if I'm a high-lsat-splitter and confident of a decent LSAT score to make up for my low GPA, won't submitting my app early stigmatize addmissions people somewhat?

I'm just thinking that if my high LSAT score is gonna make up for part of my application, having that come in after the rest might work against me, because the addmissions people will see the low GPA with no LSAT score and automatically discount me.

Thoughts?

vexion

Re: Submitting app before LSAT?

Postby vexion » Fri May 07, 2010 10:35 am

I wouldn't think submitting before the LSAT would help you in any way, shape, or form. The purpose of submitting an app early is to get it to the top of the stack for review before all the school's spots are filled. But they're not going to review your file until you amend with an LSAT score anyway. Which defeats the purpose.

sanetruth

Postby sanetruth » Fri May 07, 2010 10:43 am

vexion wrote:I wouldn't think submitting before the LSAT would help you in any way, shape, or form. The purpose of submitting an app early is to get it to the top of the stack for review before all the school's spots are filled. But they're not going to review your file until you amend with an LSAT score anyway. Which defeats the purpose.

Yea well I thought that as well, but regardless a lot of schools point out that you can submit before you get your LSAT score and from what I've gathered, it is for 1 of 2 reasons:

1) Some schools look at apps in the order they were submitted, not the order they were completed. So, if a school starts ACCEPTING apps september 1st, but doesn't start reviewing them until november 1st, then if you submit your app september 1st they will review it as soon as they get the LSAT, as opposed to submitting the entire thing when you get the lsat and having it stacked below hundreds of others.

2) Some schools realize that the release of the LSAT score can work against applying ED, so they will accept your ED application w/o the LSAT and then accept the LSAT when it comes out, so that you meet their ED deadlines.

Regardless, just because they do it doesn't mean that having the LSAT come in late doesn't still hurt your app. Maybe the answer is just to take the June LSAT? However that is not an option for me.

sanetruth

Postby sanetruth » Fri May 07, 2010 12:19 pm

BUUUUUMP

mikehoe

Postby mikehoe » Fri May 07, 2010 12:27 pm

So if i want to apply to a school with ED (ex. Nov 1st deadline), and took the LSAT in October, would one advise me to still submit my application to get the ED before I received my LSAT score?

Bert

Postby Bert » Fri May 07, 2010 12:30 pm

mikehoe wrote:So if i want to apply to a school with ED (ex. Nov 1st deadline), and took the LSAT in October, would one advise me to still submit my application to get the ED before I received my LSAT score?

I would check the ED information provided by the schools. While you can probably apply ED, I believe most schools indicate your file must be "complete" by a certain date in order to be part of the ED program. If the LSAT score is release before that date, you may be good.

sanetruth

Postby sanetruth » Fri May 07, 2010 12:30 pm

mikehoe wrote:So if i want to apply to a school with ED (ex. Nov 1st deadline), and took the LSAT in October, would one advise me to still submit my application to get the ED before I received my LSAT score?

yes, thats exactly why they accept application submissions before LSAT scores are released. but, like I said, if you counting on your LSAT score a lot more than your GPA, then its up for debate what (if any) effect that will have on your application.

mikehoe

Postby mikehoe » Fri May 07, 2010 12:37 pm

sanetruth wrote:

yes, thats exactly why they accept application submissions before LSAT scores are released. but, like I said, if you counting on your LSAT score a lot more than your GPA, then its up for debate what (if any) effect that will have on your application.

interesting, because I will be heavily counting on my LSAT. My GPA is low

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri May 07, 2010 12:40 pm

They won't even look at your app until it's complete.

sanetruth

Postby sanetruth » Fri May 07, 2010 12:45 pm

Bert wrote:I would check the ED information provided by the schools. While you can probably apply ED, I believe most schools indicate your file must be "complete" by a certain date in order to be part of the ED program. If the LSAT score is release before that date, you may be good.

Almost every school I've looked at (in the top 40 or so) that have an ED option say that the latest you can take the LSAT to be considered is October. The one exception is Fordham, which requires the June lsat for ED.

SO, I would say it follows logically that if the latest LSAT they except for ED is October, that their ED deadline won't be before LSCA makes those numbers available.

In sum, unless you're applying to fordham and maybe a few others, you can take the October lsat and apply early. but back to the original question....

sanetruth

Postby sanetruth » Fri May 07, 2010 12:46 pm

TTH wrote:They won't even look at your app until it's complete.

I would agree with this, which means that submitting early just means that when your LSAT # does arrive, they'll pick your application out based on when it was submitted. And look at it. I would like to hope this is the case, so that they don't pre-judge an unfinished app. That was my concern.

mikehoe

Postby mikehoe » Fri May 07, 2010 12:48 pm

I thought this might helpful and informative, I found this on the UC Hastings website:

Early Commitment Option
To be eligible for early commitment you must have taken the LSAT on or before the October test administration and have submitted your application with the early commitment option box checked by November 15 (your application must be complete by December 1). This is a binding admissions process. If you are accepted by December 15, you will have until January 15 to make your admission deposit; doing so requires you to withdraw applications from all other law schools. If you do not receive an early offer, your file will be considered with all other applications. No offers of admission through the Legal Education Opportunity Program will be made in the early commitment period.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”