When is too early to ask for Letters of Rec?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SupraVln180

When is too early to ask for Letters of Rec?

Postby SupraVln180 » Fri May 07, 2010 10:18 am

I am planning on taking my LSAT in October and want to have my letters of rec ready for when I get my score back. If I ask a couple of my professors now, is it too early? Is it unnecessary to give them an entire summer to write my letters of rec, or do you think I should ask them before finals are over?

GirlInTx

Re: When is too early to ask for Letters of Rec?

Postby GirlInTx » Fri May 07, 2010 10:27 am

SupraVln180 wrote:I am planning on taking my LSAT in October and want to have my letters of rec ready for when I get my score back. If I ask a couple of my professors now, is it too early? Is it unnecessary to give them an entire summer to write my letters of rec, or do you think I should ask them before finals are over?

Nope. I am actually going to ask for my LORs next week. I don't want to bother any of my professors with that right now during the week of finals so I'm holding off until after they get their grades posted. I'm also taking the October LSAT as well.

OklahomasOK

Postby OklahomasOK » Fri May 07, 2010 10:30 am

Got three of mine taken care of this week. I was somewhat forced to as one of my profs is going on sabbatical next semester.

JuTMSY4

Postby JuTMSY4 » Fri May 07, 2010 10:32 am

Never really too early (within the cycle...if this is for next year, I'd say start feeling them out now) IMO. I gave my professors notice mid-summer and told them to take their time. Both turned it over relatively quickly (a month?), but I consider it good etiquette to take the pressure of them. Besides, the effort involved (assuming you have a good report) isn't very high...

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Fri May 07, 2010 10:34 am

Coming from someone who applied last go-round, asking now is a bit early. If you are taking the OCT LSAT (like I did), there is really no reason to ask before August or so. You shouldn't really give them any more than 8 weeks. It's not like they are actually going to be working on it tirelessly throughout the summer months. It would likely just come across as strange. It's one thing to mention to them that you may ask in the future. It's another to formally request that they start working on it. The main reason I say that is that you want to be able to give them as much 'stuff' as possible. Take the summer to craft your personal statement (something you should almost definitely provide for your recommender), resume, etc. Go to them toward the end of the summer (around the time teachers go back to school) with all of the materials you are going to be sending to the law school and it will work much better. Nobody needs 5 months to work on a letter that they may spend 30 minutes on.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Fri May 07, 2010 10:35 am

I got my LOR a year before I applied because I knew I was going to be working for a year before I applied.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Fri May 07, 2010 10:37 am

Pearalegal wrote:I got my LOR a year before I applied because I knew I was going to be working for a year before I applied.

In this case this is TCR. If you're leaving the school, then by all means get it before you leave. But it sounds as if the OP is simply chomping at the bit for no real reason. Get your file together first. People love when you can bring them as much stuff as possible. And if something in your Personal Statement manages to make it into their letter, then that can only work in your favor (this is a big point). It will probably serve to make the letter more personal.

JuTMSY4

Postby JuTMSY4 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:01 am

Rand M. wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:I got my LOR a year before I applied because I knew I was going to be working for a year before I applied.

In this case this is TCR. If you're leaving the school, then by all means get it before you leave. But it sounds as if the OP is simply chomping at the bit for no real reason. Get your file together first. People love when you can bring them as much stuff as possible. And if something in your Personal Statement manages to make it into their letter, then that can only work in your favor (this is a big point). It will probably serve to make the letter more personal.

Sorry, Yeah I agree. I have/had been working at the time and was starting to lose that connection.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:09 am

Okay, I think I am going to ask my professors on Monday, when I see them. What materials do I need to bring them when I ask? (Sorry if this sounds dumb, I just want to make sure I have everything squared away.)

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Fri May 07, 2010 11:13 am

Never too early, it can be taken care of anytime.. I already have mine for next cycle ready.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Fri May 07, 2010 2:30 pm

what materials should I bring my recommenders on Monday?

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri May 07, 2010 2:41 pm

Last edited by Kilpatrick on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legalized

Postby legalized » Fri May 07, 2010 3:55 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:I am planning on taking my LSAT in October and want to have my letters of rec ready for when I get my score back. If I ask a couple of my professors now, is it too early? Is it unnecessary to give them an entire summer to write my letters of rec, or do you think I should ask them before finals are over?

They will take longer than they should. The MINIMUM is 3 months (and that is after you told them to send it back in ONE). lol.

Get on it asap.

legalized

Postby legalized » Fri May 07, 2010 3:57 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:what materials should I bring my recommenders on Monday?

Last giant project writeup or case study (individual) that you did in his class, transcripts with your grade(s) in his class(es) highlighted, resume, personal statement or diversity statement or why law statement or whatever part of the essay portion you already have completed (not an incomplete essay though!), the cover sheet pre-filled and printed out from LSAC.org with that professor's name on it, the LSAC instructions on how to sign, seal, and deliver the LOR, and a nice smile.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri May 07, 2010 4:12 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:Okay, I think I am going to ask my professors on Monday, when I see them. What materials do I need to bring them when I ask? (Sorry if this sounds dumb, I just want to make sure I have everything squared away.)

The LSAC sheet and instructions for them about how to send it are a must. Other than that, just ask. My Profs. knew me, so I think one wanted to see my personal statement, and one of my Profs. didn't want anything at all.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Fri May 07, 2010 4:20 pm

do not wait too long

one of my letters of rec delayed the start of my cycle from late december, to late january, and i asked for the letter months before

expect the worst (aka it taking FOREVER to get done), while that letter of rec might be you're top priority, it is probably one of a thousand things your recommender has on their plate

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”