LSAC GPA Calculation Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GirlInTx

LSAC GPA Calculation Question

Postby GirlInTx » Fri May 07, 2010 3:58 am

"Grades Excluded from Conversion:
The original grade for a repeated course when the transcript does not show both the grade and the units for the original attempt. The total number of credits assigned to these grades will appear on the applicant’s academic summary, but will not be included in the GPA calculation."

I have a few repeated classes from my freshmen year. What my school does is put an * next to the original grade, but it shows that the course is worth 0 credit hours AND you earned 0 grade points for it. Does that mean these repeated grades won't count? It sounds too good to be true considering most see a drop in their LSAC gpa, so I had to ask. :o

Also, will a W count against me? My school doesn't do w/pass or w/fail.

I'm posting a screenshot for clarification.

--ImageRemoved--

The original attempt was also factored out of my cumulative completed grade points at the bottom of my transcript.
Last edited by GirlInTx on Fri May 07, 2010 7:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

Knock

Re: LSAC GPA Calculation Question

Postby Knock » Fri May 07, 2010 4:04 am

GirlInTx wrote:"Grades Excluded from Conversion:
The original grade for a repeated course when the transcript does not show both the grade and the units for the original attempt. The total number of credits assigned to these grades will appear on the applicant’s academic summary, but will not be included in the GPA calculation."

I have a few repeated classes from my freshmen year. What my school does is put an * next to the original grade, but it shows that the course is worth 0 credit hours AND you earned 0 grade points for it. Does that mean these repeated grades won't count? It sounds too good to be true considering most see a drop in their LSAC gpa, so I had to ask. :o

Interesting question.

For whoever is able to answer that, I have a semi-related question. If you take Class X at your university, but it turns out that Class X doesn't fill GE Requirement Y, but if you take Class X (same class title, obviously different professors and school), at a community college, it fills GE Requirement Y. (Yes, taking Class X at the university doesn't fulfill the GE requirement, but taking the same class at a community college and transferring it to the university does fullfill the GE requirement).

What would the LSAC do with the GPA here? Would they exclude the 2nd time taking the class?

GirlInTx

Postby GirlInTx » Fri May 07, 2010 4:18 am

Knockglock wrote:

Interesting question.

For whoever is able to answer that, I have a semi-related question. If you take Class X at your university, but it turns out that Class X doesn't fill GE Requirement Y, but if you take Class X (same class title, obviously different professors and school), at a community college, it fills GE Requirement Y. (Yes, taking Class X at the university doesn't fulfill the GE requirement, but taking the same class at a community college and transferring it to the university does fullfill the GE requirement).

What would the LSAC do with the GPA here? Would they exclude the 2nd time taking the class?

I believe they calculate it twice, as if it were two entirely different courses. As for repeats, it was my understanding that they treat them the same way. I was just hoping that I might get lucky and my repeats could fall into the category of "grades excluded from conversion."

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Fri May 07, 2010 5:23 am

Knockglock wrote:

Interesting question.

They'll be counted the same as any other classes. LSAC doesn't care what classes count for GE requirements, transfer credit, or even graduation credits.

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Fri May 07, 2010 5:34 am

I have looked into this a bit, but obviously you should call up and confirm with LSAC. My understanding is that if it is worth 0 credit hours, they will not count it against you.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri May 07, 2010 5:37 am

They'll be counted the same as any other classes. LSAC doesn't care what classes count for GE requirements, transfer credit, or even graduation credits.

I believe they calculate it twice, as if it were two entirely different courses. As for repeats, it was my understanding that they treat them the same way. I was just hoping that I might get lucky and my repeats could fall into the category of "grades excluded from conversion."

Thanks guys...this actually works out to my (slight) benefit, so i'm pleased.

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Fri May 07, 2010 7:23 am

Just saw your edit. You'll need to clarify w/ LSAC -- nonpunitive withdraws are not counted, but that's coming up as an F, not a W, so I have no idea.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”