Traveling/Backpacking Your Last Summer of Freedom Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
abitaman6363

Bronze

Traveling/Backpacking Your Last Summer of Freedom

Post by abitaman6363 » Fri May 07, 2010 12:35 am

I deferred NYU last year in order to complete an incredible global voyage that began during what I thought would be my last year of freedom. Turns out, this summer will actually be the finale, and thus I'm taking off! Off again to India and the gorgeous northern regions of Pakistan (Hunza Valley) to help out at a small girls school where I spent last summer. Anyone else taking advantage of the waning months until law school by traveling?

UFMatt

Bronze

Re: Traveling/Backpacking Your Last Summer of Freedom

Post by UFMatt » Fri May 07, 2010 12:59 am

I wish. I really want to spend a few weeks in New Zealand, but I have too many obligations. I feel like Toby in The Office lamenting how he'll have to wait until he's 65 to go to Costa Rica.

Enjoy your trip. Sounds interesting.

ToadGoDead

Bronze

Post by ToadGoDead » Fri May 07, 2010 1:08 am

i have been in SE asia for 7 months... best decision i ever made

abitaman6363

Bronze

Post by abitaman6363 » Fri May 07, 2010 1:21 am

ToadGoDead wrote:i have been in SE asia for 7 months... best decision i ever made
You're winning.

monkeyhead817

New

Post by monkeyhead817 » Fri May 07, 2010 1:28 am

Traveling is the way to go! I just got back from the Middle East, and now I'm going to Africa for the summer to raise soccer balls and school supplies for several schools. And I'm going to the World Cup! Bought my tickets today!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Zaraa

New

Post by Zaraa » Fri May 07, 2010 2:05 am

Absolutely having a blast before school starts! I decided to take the year in Thailand - working for a non-profit for children's surgeries which means traveling all over the country to local hospitals. Also did some real vacations in Italy, Laos, Morocco, Kenya, France, England. Summer will mean time with family back in the US and a nice long drive coast to coast to move in before school starts. Maybe no money in the savings account but... it has definitely been worth it!

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Fri May 07, 2010 11:27 am

God it must be nice to have the money to do this. Sooo jealous. Too bad I have to do silly things like pay rent and eat.

AustinOrgans

New

Post by AustinOrgans » Fri May 07, 2010 11:30 am

The firm I work at owns a flat in Paris where employees can stay for free! This means a rather affordable trip to Paris before I start LS! Nanny nanny. Poo poo. :wink:

mugrad06

New

Post by mugrad06 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:34 am

monkeyhead817 wrote:Traveling is the way to go! I just got back from the Middle East, and now I'm going to Africa for the summer to raise soccer balls and school supplies for several schools. And I'm going to the World Cup! Bought my tickets today!
jealous, I want to go to the WC!!! Last time it was in Germany and I was suppose to go stay with my brother. He lived close to some of the sites, but sadly he and his then fiancee came over here to visit and have their American wedding shower. I was so mad, lol but I was glad I got to spend time with my brother.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Fri May 07, 2010 11:38 am

Iceland, Netherlands, Germany, Czech Republic, Italy, and a smattering of other places this summer. Fly back 3 days before I move to campus. I feel like it's a very, VERY good decision, even though I'm spending money I really don't have.

tsub

New

Post by tsub » Fri May 07, 2010 11:43 am

Zaraa wrote:Absolutely having a blast before school starts! I decided to take the year in Thailand - working for a non-profit for children's surgeries which means traveling all over the country to local hospitals. Also did some real vacations in Italy, Laos, Morocco, Kenya, France, England. Summer will mean time with family back in the US and a nice long drive coast to coast to move in before school starts. Maybe no money in the savings account but... it has definitely been worth it!

I'm going to Thailand this summer to catch up with my family and refresh my language skills. Hopefully all the political stuff will have blown over by July.

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Fri May 07, 2010 11:43 am

I'm trying to put together a solo bicycle tour of the sierra cascades or pacific coast, and I should have the time for either, but not both. Hope I can make one work. I'd love to do international, but bike touring here in the states is super cheap and just easier to plan overall. Here's to hoping 8)

mjs92983

New

Post by mjs92983 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:46 am

You don't have to do something expensive to have a great trip. A couple of brothers and myself are taking a bicycling trip through Yellowstone, glacier national park and then up to Banff and Jasper in Canada. The bikes make it cheap to travel and really appreciate all the great scenery.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:46 am

Nope, too lazy. But I'll grab a Greyhound home and chill with my friends, and my husband and I might drive down to Florida in August because he has to use his vacation days. Other than that, working and relaxing!

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:47 am

Two weeks in London just hanging around with my friends. So looking forward to it.

chaupa

New

Post by chaupa » Fri May 07, 2010 11:48 am

I don't have much money to work with, but I'm loosely planning to take a motorcycle trip around the states for the last three + weeks of the summer. If tips are really good at work, I may sell the bike and head for Europe. Don't see tips being that good though.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Fri May 07, 2010 11:59 am

will be in Costa Rica/Panama/Brazil over the summer, going to be epic fun!! Though that is tamed a bit by the fact that it is a self-employment project and I will be working 60+ hours a week.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thinkbig

Bronze

Post by thinkbig » Fri May 07, 2010 12:04 pm

I wish I had money to travel. I gotta pay rent and try to get out of credit card debt first, which will take up until the start of law school. Then I can take out exponentially more debt to attend.

Haribo

Bronze

Post by Haribo » Fri May 07, 2010 1:11 pm

Just got back from 6 months cycling through South America, and am planning on taking it easy this summer learning French in Quebec.

Travel by bicycle is really cheap, especially if you camp.

abitaman6363

Bronze

Post by abitaman6363 » Fri May 07, 2010 2:00 pm

danidancer wrote:God it must be nice to have the money to do this. Sooo jealous. Too bad I have to do silly things like pay rent and eat.
For anyone thinking of traveling, it really doesn't cost much! Check out Couchsurfing.com, which basically offers you free places to stay as you travel. My name's Christen Romero, so if you join CS look me up and I'll leave you a good reference. CS rocks(!), is free, and has loads of amazing people. In New Orleans alone there are over 1000+ Couchsurfers.

Also, food/etc. costs the same (if not MUCH less) in other countries. Your flight is usually your biggest expense, and after that, just be smart with your money. I tend to spend FAR less when I'm abroad than I do here in the States!

abitaman6363

Bronze

Post by abitaman6363 » Fri May 07, 2010 2:01 pm

And to all those traveling, safe journeys! Be cool/live free.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Zaraa

New

Post by Zaraa » Sat May 08, 2010 1:26 am

danidancer wrote:God it must be nice to have the money to do this. Sooo jealous. Too bad I have to do silly things like pay rent and eat.
It's always possible with some preparation & good planning! I gave up my rental in the US, am actually working here to eat! I either played it cheap with hotels (Laos is ridiculous - you can get air conditioning and breakfast included for $15/night), or did home exchanges. There are plenty of people in Europe willing to give up their houses for a few weeks for a place in Thailand! The big part is airfare - but while working last year I was able to save up enough to have this year!
tsub wrote:I'm going to Thailand this summer to catch up with my family and refresh my language skills. Hopefully all the political stuff will have blown over by July.
I hope it clears up! At least they haven't outright rejected the Nov 15 dissolution. My office has been closed for 2 months - although.. there are advantages to working at home! Sounds like you have family here and know what's going on already - but just in case - use http://www.thaivisa.com - CNN is useless.
mjs92983 wrote:You don't have to do something expensive to have a great trip. A couple of brothers and myself are taking a bicycling trip through Yellowstone, glacier national park and then up to Banff and Jasper in Canada. The bikes make it cheap to travel and really appreciate all the great scenery.
That sounds fantastic! I love the national parks, especially if you have the time to see it all by bike.

ToadGoDead

Bronze

Post by ToadGoDead » Sun May 09, 2010 2:38 am

american media is useless when looking for news on thailand. try bangkokpost.com for better news. i am in bangkok right now, it has calmed down significantly.

half_farang

New

Post by half_farang » Sun May 09, 2010 11:39 am

I have also been in SE asia for the past 7 months... I came here with a little over 2,000 dollars of which I saved up last summer. I took an online TEFL course and then flew to Thailand with no job offers, and then within 2 days of wandering the streets of bangkok I found a job in the southern beautiful provence of Krabi. I did a 4 month contract and saved enough money from my teaching job to travel for 3 more months. The only money of my own was for my flight... I'm going home with nearly as much $$ as I came with.

You don't need money, you just need guts.

tsub

New

Post by tsub » Mon May 10, 2010 12:19 pm

half_farang wrote:I have also been in SE asia for the past 7 months... I came here with a little over 2,000 dollars of which I saved up last summer. I took an online TEFL course and then flew to Thailand with no job offers, and then within 2 days of wandering the streets of bangkok I found a job in the southern beautiful provence of Krabi. I did a 4 month contract and saved enough money from my teaching job to travel for 3 more months. The only money of my own was for my flight... I'm going home with nearly as much $$ as I came with.

You don't need money, you just need guts.

Half-farang... love the name. What's the other half? Thai I guess?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”