Traveling/Backpacking Your Last Summer of Freedom Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
shepdawg

Bronze

Re: Traveling/Backpacking Your Last Summer of Freedom

Post by shepdawg » Mon May 10, 2010 12:43 pm

I wish my daddy was rich too. Have fun.

bigchris1313

New

Post by bigchris1313 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:52 pm

Two weeks in Argentina and Uruguay with a few fellow alumni and a chunk of my former college football team (two years removed), with an itinerary that includes a few games against local teams and spreading the good word of American football in the Southern Hemisphere. We're departing this Sunday. Paid for out of pocket, might I add.

I imagine that our all-male cadre of jockish 20-somethings will be a quiet, civilized American tour group and the envy of gift shops everywhere, using our killer exchange rate to purchase cultural treasures for our families back home and not cases of wine to be consumed before lunchtime.

lemonpie

New

Post by lemonpie » Tue May 11, 2010 2:00 pm

Just came back from India! :D

DavidYurman85

Bronze

Post by DavidYurman85 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:06 pm

Anyone familiar with backpacking Italy - specifically areas close to Venice, Florence, Tuscany or Umbria.

I'm going to be in EU, specifically Italy for two weeks, and would love suggestions.

Thanks!

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Tue May 11, 2010 2:13 pm

abitaman6363 wrote:I deferred NYU last year in order to complete an incredible global voyage that began during what I thought would be my last year of freedom. Turns out, this summer will actually be the finale, and thus I'm taking off! Off again to India and the gorgeous northern regions of Pakistan (Hunza Valley) to help out at a small girls school where I spent last summer. Anyone else taking advantage of the waning months until law school by traveling?
You mean you didnt spend the year reading E&E's and hornbooks

I predict bottom 10% for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mailmanstalker

New

Post by mailmanstalker » Tue May 11, 2010 2:14 pm

abitaman6363 wrote:
danidancer wrote:God it must be nice to have the money to do this. Sooo jealous. Too bad I have to do silly things like pay rent and eat.
For anyone thinking of traveling, it really doesn't cost much! Check out Couchsurfing.com, which basically offers you free places to stay as you travel. My name's Christen Romero, so if you join CS look me up and I'll leave you a good reference. CS rocks(!), is free, and has loads of amazing people. In New Orleans alone there are over 1000+ Couchsurfers.

Also, food/etc. costs the same (if not MUCH less) in other countries. Your flight is usually your biggest expense, and after that, just be smart with your money. I tend to spend FAR less when I'm abroad than I do here in the States!
This! And you can sublet your apt! I did it for the past two summers, on $$ saved waiting tables....

BruinsFan

Bronze

Post by BruinsFan » Tue May 11, 2010 2:23 pm

Europe for 3 weeks, Thailand for 2.5 weeks, and China for 10 days. I had problems finding people who had the time and the money to come with me, so it's mostly a combination of tours and my boyfriend coming. Not necessarily ideal, but I'm still super excited!!

I leave June 3!

toaster2

New

Post by toaster2 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:39 pm

Last edited by toaster2 on Tue May 25, 2010 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

half_farang

New

Post by half_farang » Sat May 15, 2010 2:47 pm

tsub wrote:
half_farang wrote:I have also been in SE asia for the past 7 months... I came here with a little over 2,000 dollars of which I saved up last summer. I took an online TEFL course and then flew to Thailand with no job offers, and then within 2 days of wandering the streets of bangkok I found a job in the southern beautiful provence of Krabi. I did a 4 month contract and saved enough money from my teaching job to travel for 3 more months. The only money of my own was for my flight... I'm going home with nearly as much $$ as I came with.

You don't need money, you just need guts.
danidancer wrote:God it must be nice to have the money to do this. Sooo jealous. Too bad I have to do silly things like pay rent and eat.

Half-farang... love the name. What's the other half? Thai I guess?

Yep. My dad is Thai. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”