Advice on whether to ask famous DC lawyer to call adcomms

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tommytahoe

Re: Advice on whether to ask famous DC lawyer to call adcomms

Postby tommytahoe » Fri May 07, 2010 12:35 pm

b.gump81 wrote:i don't think this is a bad idea at all, but instead of having him write a LOR, have him use his influence to get you an interview. i'd say have him write a letter instead of call. focus that letter on how they should have you come in for a meeting with the adcom and dean of admissions. that way i think it comes off as less sleazy since he isn't an alum, and you r still able to make some impact on trying to get off the waitlist. most schools say they don't interview, but this would be a great way to get your foot in the door

I assume you're talking to the guy with the cousin here, right?

b.gump81

Postby b.gump81 » Fri May 07, 2010 12:42 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
b.gump81 wrote:i don't think this is a bad idea at all, but instead of having him write a LOR, have him use his influence to get you an interview. i'd say have him write a letter instead of call. focus that letter on how they should have you come in for a meeting with the adcom and dean of admissions. that way i think it comes off as less sleazy since he isn't an alum, and you r still able to make some impact on trying to get off the waitlist. most schools say they don't interview, but this would be a great way to get your foot in the door

no, you

Indecision2010

Postby Indecision2010 » Fri May 07, 2010 12:53 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
Indecision2010 wrote:Sorry in advance for piggy-backing on your post! I have a similar question…

Is it worth asking my cousin to send a LOR to my first choice where I'm WLed? As lame as that sounds, she graduated at the top of her class from the LS where I’m WLed and is now a federal judge.

My dad suggested I ask my cousin to write one, but I’m not certain it would send a positive message. I’ve never worked or interned for her. She’s just my cousin. Honestly, what could she say that would sway the admission committee? On the other hand, how could it hurt?

I would say that the gang here will have some advice on that one, for sure. I also have no problem with the piggy back. Our questions are distinct, but in the same general category. At least in your case, the person actually went to the school, and additionally was top of the class + now a federal judge. To the extent that it's OK at all for someone to make these kinds of character references, THIS is much closer to the right scenario. Somewhat mitigated by the person's being a cousin (partial observer), but I can see how this could be a time you could call on that person, esp. if (s)he was as successful as the school as you say (s)he was.

I think that's the problem with both of our references--they don't say anything about how we will do in LS, just who we know/are related to. I'm paranoid that the admissions committee is just going to see right through what I'm trying to do, and the recommendation might actually hurt me. I tried to explain that to my dad, but he went to college during the era when "making a large donation" was the golden ticket to getting into school . . . not that I--or my family--have the money for that. haha, I wish!

I would say for your circumstance, if you're going to use the attorney, have him/her write a letter rather than call. Unfortunately, I can't say whether you should or shouldn't because, like you know, I’m in the same boat

Good luck on getting off the waitlist!

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Fri May 07, 2010 12:57 pm

b.gump81 wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:

no, you

Well hell, now I AM confused. here's my take-away, if I do this at all, I will do it when it's late in the game, and I'm desperate. Right now GULC is ABOUT to hand out its final WL offers prior to any June/July withdraws. So I'm a week or 2 late to using this guy for these current decisions. But perhaps in early- to mid-June. I arrive in DC June 28, and will be there either until I get off a WL or for 14 months.
I would of course LOVE a sit-down with someone from GULC admissions. I make a strong impression, and it always helps to show that an application is a human being with humor, smiles, etc.
Still, I probably won't use this guy...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”