Advice on whether to ask famous DC lawyer to call adcomms Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tommytahoe

Silver

Advice on whether to ask famous DC lawyer to call adcomms

Post by tommytahoe » Thu May 06, 2010 9:27 pm

Hi all,

so I don't know what the word is on under what circumstances it is OK to get someone to call the adcomms at a school that has put an applicant on their waitlist.
I don't want to know whether it is Ok —I am fairly certain that it is not absolutely forbidden— but since it is done infrequently, I wanted to see what you all thought about when it's OK.

The person is not an alum of the school, but he is a very well-known DC lawyer in private practice/policy for 40 years, who apparently most in law in DC have heard of. He used to be general counsel for one of our Presidents of the US.
I haven't seen him since 1999, when I was 26 and leaving DC. I babysat for his son for 12 years, and additionally he and his wife were close family friends of my parents for most of those years. I just got back in touch with him, the wife, and son, back in January, b/c above all I was long overdue for a hello.
So, he is NOT an alum, but very prominent, and he can't attest to my academic abilities, but I have a 3.8, so...
He can attest to my overall character, and he does know and is very supportive of my decision to come back to school to study law.

Should I ask him (politely) to put in a phone call?
Thanks,

Bert

Bronze

Re: Advice on whether to ask famous DC lawyer to call adcomms

Post by Bert » Thu May 06, 2010 9:31 pm

I wouldn't think it would help.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Thu May 06, 2010 9:33 pm

A letter maybe, I wouldn't go with a phone call... just seems awkward, especially if he didn't graduate from the school.

legalized

Bronze

Post by legalized » Thu May 06, 2010 9:33 pm

tommytahoe wrote:Hi all,

so I don't know what the word is on under what circumstances it is OK to get someone to call the adcomms at a school that has put an applicant on their waitlist.
I don't want to know whether it is Ok —I am fairly certain that it is not absolutely forbidden— but since it is done infrequently, I wanted to see what you all thought about when it's OK.

The person is not an alum of the school, but he is a very well-known DC lawyer in private practice/policy for 40 years, who apparently most in law in DC have heard of. He used to be general counsel for one of our Presidents of the US.
I haven't seen him since 1999, when I was 26 and leaving DC. I babysat for his son for 12 years, and additionally he and his wife were close family friends of my parents for most of those years. I just got back in touch with him, the wife, and son, back in January, b/c above all I was long overdue for a hello.
So, he is NOT an alum, but very prominent, and he can't attest to my academic abilities, but I have a 3.8, so...
He can attest to my overall character, and he does know and is very supportive of my decision to come back to school to study law.

Thanks,
Ask him to write an extra LOR and send it in with a LOCI. Anything else came across presumptuous and tacky to me. But i don't know how the waitlist begging ritual goes so let's see what others say.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Thu May 06, 2010 9:38 pm

Can't see this helping you much, if at all. That is why you have recs in the first place; for someone to attest to the highest points of your character and potential. Having a "big name" contact the school isn't anywhere close to as good as an obscure name that can at least speak highly and genuinely about you. For example, I know someone who got a rec from Donald Rumsfeld, yet didn't have any more successful of a cycle than anyone else with his numbers. If anything, I think the rec hurt him because he would have been better off with someone he was much closer with.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Thu May 06, 2010 9:48 pm

dakatz wrote:Can't see this helping you much, if at all. That is why you have recs in the first place; for someone to attest to the highest points of your character and potential. Having a "big name" contact the school isn't anywhere close to as good as an obscure name that can at least speak highly and genuinely about you. For example, I know someone who got a rec from Donald Rumsfeld, yet didn't have any more successful of a cycle than anyone else with his numbers. If anything, I think the rec hurt him because he would have been better off with someone he was much closer with.
I think you're right, really. Outside of some connection to the school, he's just a name.

gymboree

Silver

Post by gymboree » Thu May 06, 2010 9:50 pm

tommytahoe wrote: The person is not an alum of the school... I haven't seen him since 1999... I babysat for his son for 12 years... and he can't attest to my academic abilities...
I think you know the answer already. This is the definition of someone who should NOT write a recommendation letter. It's a transparent effort, and one that will only end up making you appear as if you're not confident that you can stand on your own record -- you need someone prominent to phone in a favor. Doesn't sound like this is the trick.

Now, if he would write you a 2-page letter outlining how you've been interning in his office for the last 5 months and they don't know how they're going to live without you because you streamlined their workflows such that they now save $20,000 a month.... then, then you should ask for a recommendation. But, no, not a phone call.

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Thu May 06, 2010 9:53 pm

How can you all justify having a letter sent to a law school from somebody for whom you babysat over a decade ago? I think this is a great connection to have for the future, but asking for any sort of involvement by him in your cycle is clearly inappropriate in this instance.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Thu May 06, 2010 9:54 pm

I'd say do it.. You're already on the WL; you might as well. It could possibly help, especially if he is well-known and liked.

I say have him give the school a call!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DanInALionsDen

Bronze

Post by DanInALionsDen » Thu May 06, 2010 9:57 pm

Thanks,
I personally think you should take th LSAT and apply again if you're unhappy with your returns this cycle. I'm assuming since you're talking about a prominent lawyer in DC that its GULC you're hoping to get into; in that pursuit I think 5 more points on the LSAT would help you infinitely more than almost any letter.

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Thu May 06, 2010 9:59 pm

Cilent21 wrote:I'd say do it.. You're already on the WL; you might as well. It could possibly help, especially if he is well-known and liked.

I say have him give the school a call!
I agree with the advice that it's generally a bad idea, but also think this is right because you probably have nothing to lose. Depending on the school your odds of getting off the w/l might be slim to nil anyway. Going with someone who knows you better is always the better move for LOR's in the general cycle, but a desperate gambit to get off the w/l? Go out in a blaze of glory and send everything you've got is my vote

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Thu May 06, 2010 10:05 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:

Thanks,
I personally think you should take th LSAT and apply again if you're unhappy with your returns this cycle. I'm assuming since you're talking about a prominent lawyer in DC that its GULC you're hoping to get into; in that pursuit I think 5 more points on the LSAT would help you infinitely more than almost any letter.
I can't. Quarter system at undergrad, and I have 3 —count 'em— 3 exams on June 7. No bueno.
I may end up re-applying anyway. My cycle has been woefully bad, and I'm collecting waitlists.
Amusing just how split the responses are. I'm almost certain I won't do it, for reasons I already knew, and have been written in this thread.
If a letter was written, or a phone call made, it would be an intangible character recommendation would be all. So the subtsantive contribution, admittedly, wouldn't come close to the saving a company $20,000 scenario written above.
But I don't think I'll do it (my "nothing to loseness" notwithstanding).

nawktasy

New

Post by nawktasy » Thu May 06, 2010 10:20 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
dakatz wrote:Can't see this helping you much, if at all. That is why you have recs in the first place; for someone to attest to the highest points of your character and potential. Having a "big name" contact the school isn't anywhere close to as good as an obscure name that can at least speak highly and genuinely about you. For example, I know someone who got a rec from Donald Rumsfeld, yet didn't have any more successful of a cycle than anyone else with his numbers. If anything, I think the rec hurt him because he would have been better off with someone he was much closer with.
I think you're right, really. Outside of some connection to the school, he's just a name.
The only way I could see a call benefiting you is if your contact were well-connected personally to an influential adcomm member. And the only way to determine that is by asking your contact.

That said, even if he is well-connected to the adcomms, you say that he can't attest to your academic or professional abilities. Given that, any call from your contact would put him, you, and the school in an iffy spot. So I wouldn't do it - but that's up for you to decide, of course.

Good luck, both with your upcoming exams and with the WL!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fwaam

Bronze

Post by fwaam » Thu May 06, 2010 10:41 pm

You're on the WL; an extra letter is unlikely to hurt at this point. I wouldn't have him call though. That seems too pushy, even if he's willing to do it.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Fri May 07, 2010 12:49 am

I say wait to use this guy until you are in law school and looking for a job. Don't waste the effort/capital right now.

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Fri May 07, 2010 12:56 am

Ask for an LOR from the guy, but skip the call. A call might be annoying.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri May 07, 2010 4:57 am

tommytahoe wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:

Thanks,
I can't. Quarter system at undergrad, and I have 3 —count 'em— 3 exams on June 7. No bueno.
I may end up re-applying anyway. My cycle has been woefully bad, and I'm collecting waitlists.
Amusing just how split the responses are. I'm almost certain I won't do it, for reasons I already knew, and have been written in this thread.
If a letter was written, or a phone call made, it would be an intangible character recommendation would be all. So the subtsantive contribution, admittedly, wouldn't come close to the saving a company $20,000 scenario written above.
As a fellow Aggie I sympathize with your 3 finals on that Monday (couldn't they have postponed the LSAT till one week later?!). But my question is, why not go with the October LSAT for a retake?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Fri May 07, 2010 11:29 am

bk187 wrote:
tommytahoe wrote: I can't. Quarter system at undergrad, and I have 3 —count 'em— 3 exams on June 7. No bueno.
As a fellow Aggie I sympathize with your 3 finals on that Monday (couldn't they have postponed the LSAT till one week later?!). But my question is, why not go with the October LSAT for a retake?
Yes, lame Davis with their Finals. At some point they'll adjust. I am strongly considering starting over and re-taking in October. It would mean dealing with the emotional annoyance that I didn't "do it right" the first time (I've been a very motivated and hard-working student since returning to undergrad, so this is out-of-character). It would also mean volunteering to put myself through this ordeal again.
But, it could allow me to have that 14 months' time off that part of me was wishing I would have given myself before jumping straight into LS. And, I could get valuable w.e. (not just for LS...I'd only be able to compile a few months of it b4 applying), but for myself. Most importantly, if I raise my 163 to a 165 even, a whole raft of waitlists would almost automatically change to admits (Davis, W&M, etc), and probably land a few more nice WLs (at GW and BU, eg).
Hard decision to make.

DanInALionsDen

Bronze

Post by DanInALionsDen » Fri May 07, 2010 11:48 am

tommytahoe wrote:
bk187 wrote:
tommytahoe wrote: I can't. Quarter system at undergrad, and I have 3 —count 'em— 3 exams on June 7. No bueno.
Yes, lame Davis with their Finals. At some point they'll adjust. I am strongly considering starting over and re-taking in October. It would mean dealing with the emotional annoyance that I didn't "do it right" the first time (I've been a very motivated and hard-working student since returning to undergrad, so this is out-of-character). It would also mean volunteering to put myself through this ordeal again.
But, it could allow me to have that 14 months' time off that part of me was wishing I would have given myself before jumping straight into LS. And, I could get valuable w.e. (not just for LS...I'd only be able to compile a few months of it b4 applying), but for myself. Most importantly, if I raise my 163 to a 165 even, a whole raft of waitlists would almost automatically change to admits (Davis, W&M, etc), and probably land a few more nice WLs (at GW and BU, eg).
Hard decision to make.
Especially if you lost most of your marks in LG, I would say wait, study like hell over the summer, and retake in October. A 163 puts you at the bottom of the first tier paying sticker or close to it--this is not a good scenario in my mind. A slightly higher score could mean a full ride somewhere like Cardozo, or admission to BU,BC,GW, Fordham, all of which could give you a pretty good shot at biglaw (I'm just assuming that's what you want).

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Fri May 07, 2010 12:07 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Hard decision to make.
Especially if you lost most of your marks in LG, I would say wait, study like hell over the summer, and retake in October. A 163 puts you at the bottom of the first tier paying sticker or close to it--this is not a good scenario in my mind. A slightly higher score could mean a full ride somewhere like Cardozo, or admission to BU,BC,GW, Fordham, all of which could give you a pretty good shot at biglaw (I'm just assuming that's what you want).
I'm not sure what LG is, but all of your points are, uh, right on point, to which can be added the point that I really do think I can raise the score. When I've gone back to practice sections (esp. in RC), my mind sees the questions clearer, I move quicker, etc. Granted, they're practice sections, but in the LSAT I got -11 on RC, b/c I guessed on 8 of them! That is a timing issue that CAN be fixed.
Right now, the two admits I got (AU and Santa Clara) I withdrew from in March. I simply wasn't ready to pay full price at a school that may make it very difficult for mew to find a job. I'm on 7 waitlists, incl. GULC and UCLA somehow. if I don't get in off of any waitlists, clearly, I'll have no admits, so the decision will have been made for me!
thanks for the advice (although, admittedly, we have strayed from my original post considerably)
Last edited by tommytahoe on Fri May 07, 2010 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indecision2010

New

Post by Indecision2010 » Fri May 07, 2010 12:10 pm

Sorry in advance for piggy-backing on your post! I have a similar question…

Is it worth asking my cousin to send a LOR to my first choice where I'm WLed? As lame as that sounds, she graduated at the top of her class from the LS where I’m WLed and is now a federal judge.

My dad suggested I ask my cousin to write one, but I’m not certain it would send a positive message. I’ve never worked or interned for her. She’s just my cousin. Honestly, what could she say that would sway the admission committee? On the other hand, how could it hurt?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Fri May 07, 2010 12:16 pm

Indecision2010 wrote:Sorry in advance for piggy-backing on your post! I have a similar question…

Is it worth asking my cousin to send a LOR to my first choice where I'm WLed? As lame as that sounds, she graduated at the top of her class from the LS where I’m WLed and is now a federal judge.

My dad suggested I ask my cousin to write one, but I’m not certain it would send a positive message. I’ve never worked or interned for her. She’s just my cousin. Honestly, what could she say that would sway the admission committee? On the other hand, how could it hurt?
I would say that the gang here will have some advice on that one, for sure. I also have no problem with the piggy back. Our questions are distinct, but in the same general category. At least in your case, the person actually went to the school, and additionally was top of the class + now a federal judge. To the extent that it's OK at all for someone to make these kinds of character references, THIS is much closer to the right scenario. Somewhat mitigated by the person's being a cousin (partial observer), but I can see how this could be a time you could call on that person, esp. if (s)he was as successful as the school as you say (s)he was.

DanInALionsDen

Bronze

Post by DanInALionsDen » Fri May 07, 2010 12:18 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:
I'm not sure what LG is, but all of your points are, uh, right on point, to which can be added the point that I really do think I can raise the score. When I've gone back to practice sections (esp. in RC), my mind sees the questions clearer, I move quicker, etc. Granted, they're practice sections, but in the LSAT I got -11 on RC, b/c I guessed on 8 of them! That is a timing issue that CAN be fixed.
Right now, the two admits I got (AU and Santa Clara) I withdrew from in March. I simply wasn't ready to pay full price at a school that may make it very difficult for mew to find a job. I'm on 7 waitlists, incl. GULC and UCLA somehow. if I don't get in off of any waitlists, clearly, I'll have no admits, so the decision will have been made for me!
thanks for the advice (although, admittedly, we have strayed from my original post considerably)
LG is logic games--most people believe (including me) that logic games are the easiest section to learn and improve upon. Sorry to stray from your original post, but I though it better to give an alternative scenario then to just say, "No, don't have that guy call."

b.gump81

Bronze

Post by b.gump81 » Fri May 07, 2010 12:28 pm

i don't think this is a bad idea at all, but instead of having him write a LOR, have him use his influence to get you an interview. i'd say have him write a letter instead of call. focus that letter on how they should have you come in for a meeting with the adcom and dean of admissions. that way i think it comes off as less sleazy since he isn't an alum, and you r still able to make some impact on trying to get off the waitlist. most schools say they don't interview, but this would be a great way to get your foot in the door

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Fri May 07, 2010 12:30 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:
LG is logic games--most people believe (including me) that logic games are the easiest section to learn and improve upon. Sorry to stray from your original post, but I though it better to give an alternative scenario then to just say, "No, don't have that guy call."
Ah, of course, how did I miss it? I have no problem with losing the thread (just giving a nod to those who watch this stuff like hawks). Yeah, LG I got like 3 or 4 wrong. Usually 2 of the games are very easy (simple grouping + sequence, that kind of thing), and there's usually 1 or 2 hybrid deal-is that eat up my clock a bit. I am about 65-35 leaning toward re-applying in October. I get to DC in early July, and I have already begun to seek out paid internships in DC.
tx

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”