Weird line in Cornell scholarship letter

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Weird line in Cornell scholarship letter

Postby goodolgil » Thu May 06, 2010 6:52 pm

"Please note that scholarship awards are given with the understanding that there is a moral obligation to repay the Law School if future financial circumstances permit repayment."

Oh whatever.

Oh, and tuition is $51,150 for the coming year. Jesus.

User avatar
Bert
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:37 pm

Re: Weird line in Cornell scholarship letter

Postby Bert » Thu May 06, 2010 6:55 pm

Are you serious about that?

"Here's free money, but you owe it to us if you make a lot in the future."

User avatar
sundevil77
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:34 pm

Re: Weird line in Cornell scholarship letter

Postby sundevil77 » Thu May 06, 2010 6:57 pm

Wow. Desperate times call for desperate......non-binding statements that merely attempt to guilt trip students soon to be $150K in the hole?

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Weird line in Cornell scholarship letter

Postby blue5385 » Thu May 06, 2010 6:59 pm

whaaaa.....? I know some schollys come with strings attached, like placing in top 1/3 or 1/2, but this is crazy.

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Weird line in Cornell scholarship letter

Postby goodolgil » Thu May 06, 2010 7:03 pm

Yeah, I don't know if anyone else has gotten this letter, since Cornell offered me the scholarship under (somewhat) unique circumstances. The deposit deadline passed and they emailed me saying unless they heard from me they were gonna cancel my admission. I emailed them back saying I hadn't done anything since I hadn't heard anything about merit aid. They asked me if I had any other offers and I told them about my Michigan offer (I had no others since I had already withdrawn everywhere else), and they agreed to do a financial review. The offer amount was the same as Michigan's.

PoliticalJunkie
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:32 pm

Re: Weird line in Cornell scholarship letter

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Thu May 06, 2010 7:03 pm

This isn't really that odd. Alot of grad schools, and even many undergraduate institutions, expect that as an alumni you will contribute to the school via donations in the future. Law Schools are behind the curve in this respect, though many will be/already are doing this.

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Weird line in Cornell scholarship letter

Postby goodolgil » Thu May 06, 2010 7:04 pm

I think "moral obligation" is a little strong.

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Weird line in Cornell scholarship letter

Postby blue5385 » Thu May 06, 2010 7:07 pm

Yeah, soliciting donations is one thing (and completely normal/expected), but putting you on a moral guilt trip is entirely another.

User avatar
Hammurabi
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:45 pm

Re: Weird line in Cornell scholarship letter

Postby Hammurabi » Thu May 06, 2010 7:11 pm

Are they referring to alumni donations or you win the lottery/ great uncle inheritance. etc. scenario while you're still in law school?
Last edited by Hammurabi on Thu May 06, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tamlyric
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Weird line in Cornell scholarship letter

Postby tamlyric » Thu May 06, 2010 7:12 pm

goodolgil wrote:I think "moral obligation" is a little strong.


Is there any other kind of obligation? Regardless, at best, that's an awfully tacky thing to say in a scholarship letter. You seriously thinking about taking Ithaca over A2? :)

Tautology
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:40 pm

Re: Weird line in Cornell scholarship letter

Postby Tautology » Thu May 06, 2010 7:14 pm

tamlyric wrote:
goodolgil wrote:I think "moral obligation" is a little strong.


Is there any other kind of obligation? Regardless, at best, that's an awfully tacky thing to say in a scholarship letter. You seriously thinking about taking Ithaca over A2? :)


Legal obligation, for one?

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Weird line in Cornell scholarship letter

Postby goodolgil » Thu May 06, 2010 7:16 pm

Nah, they were gonna have to offer (probably significantly) more money than Michigan for me to waiver

tamlyric
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Weird line in Cornell scholarship letter

Postby tamlyric » Thu May 06, 2010 7:18 pm

Tautology wrote:
tamlyric wrote:
goodolgil wrote:I think "moral obligation" is a little strong.


Is there any other kind of obligation? Regardless, at best, that's an awfully tacky thing to say in a scholarship letter. You seriously thinking about taking Ithaca over A2? :)


Legal obligation, for one?


Yeah, I suppose. (I just think of legal obligations as a subspecies of moral obligations, which isn't to say that law and morality are the same thing.) Surely that's not what Cornell meant, though, right? Yikes! :shock:

tamlyric
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Weird line in Cornell scholarship letter

Postby tamlyric » Thu May 06, 2010 7:18 pm

goodolgil wrote:Nah, they were gonna have to offer (probably significantly) more money than Michigan for me to waiver


Woohoo! Go Blue! :oops:

User avatar
shepdawg
Posts: 477
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Weird line in Cornell scholarship letter

Postby shepdawg » Thu May 06, 2010 8:48 pm

These scholarships are crazy full of conditions. Mine says that the scholarship becomes a loan with back interest if I transfer or don't take the CA bar exam.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Weird line in Cornell scholarship letter

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 06, 2010 8:50 pm

Wow, that's a low move there. A moral obligation? WTF? Makes me even more glad I turned them down.

User avatar
holybartender
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:06 pm

Re: Weird line in Cornell scholarship letter

Postby holybartender » Thu May 06, 2010 8:51 pm

It comes in every Cornell scholarship letter. It has no binding force, they're just saying if you make boatloads of money later it'd be nice if you donated to the school.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Weird line in Cornell scholarship letter

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 06, 2010 8:52 pm

holybartender wrote:It comes in every Cornell scholarship letter. It has no binding force, they're just saying if you make boatloads of money later it'd be nice if you donated to the school.


There are ways of going about this without calling it a "moral obligation." Also, its bad form to be soliciting donations before you even send in a deposit.

User avatar
holybartender
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:06 pm

Re: Weird line in Cornell scholarship letter

Postby holybartender » Thu May 06, 2010 8:57 pm

romothesavior wrote:
holybartender wrote:It comes in every Cornell scholarship letter. It has no binding force, they're just saying if you make boatloads of money later it'd be nice if you donated to the school.


There are ways of going about this without calling it a "moral obligation." Also, its bad form to be soliciting donations before you even send in a deposit.


They're giving you money for free, I don't care what they say as long as the check clears.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Weird line in Cornell scholarship letter

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 06, 2010 9:06 pm

holybartender wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
holybartender wrote:It comes in every Cornell scholarship letter. It has no binding force, they're just saying if you make boatloads of money later it'd be nice if you donated to the school.


There are ways of going about this without calling it a "moral obligation." Also, its bad form to be soliciting donations before you even send in a deposit.


They're giving you money for free, I don't care what they say as long as the check clears.


They weren't giving me any money for free. Wish they had, though. :D

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Weird line in Cornell scholarship letter

Postby jks289 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:13 pm

The wording is odd, but I don't really see an issue with the concept. Scholarships are available to the class of 2013 thanks in part to donations from successful alum. They are helping you become educated, and saying that should you benefit from their gift by ending up in a position to do so, their hope (and you obligation in accepting the money) is that you will pay it forward to the next generation of lawyers.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Weird line in Cornell scholarship letter

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 06, 2010 9:15 pm

jks289 wrote:The wording is odd, but I don't really see an issue with the concept. Scholarships are available to the class of 2013 thanks in part to donations from successful alum. They are helping you become educated, and saying that should you benefit from their gift by ending up in a position to do so, their hope (and you obligation in accepting the money) is that you will pay it forward to the next generation of lawyers.


I don't see a problem with it either, but I think a better place to say it is right before graduation. It seems silly and off-putting for a school to say it up front.

I got a full-ride scholarship to my undergrad, and there is certainly the expectation that I give back to the school as much as possible. That seems like a perfectly reasonable expectation given how much the school has done for me by funding my education and putting me in the position to go to law school. But when the president of the university called me back in high school to tell me I had won the scholly, he didn't say, "Just so you know romothesavior... if you become successful, you really need to pay us this money back. Sound good?"

sumus romani
Posts: 565
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: Weird line in Cornell scholarship letter

Postby sumus romani » Thu May 06, 2010 9:18 pm

Other schools do this too. I seem to recall NYU suggesting that their scholarships for those in the furman fellows program (for those wanting to be law academics) morally ought to be paid back if the person does not go into academia. I could be mis-remembering the details here, but seem to recall it.

User avatar
Bert
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:37 pm

Re: Weird line in Cornell scholarship letter

Postby Bert » Thu May 06, 2010 9:23 pm

jks289 wrote:The wording is odd, but I don't really see an issue with the concept. Scholarships are available to the class of 2013 thanks in part to donations from successful alum. They are helping you become educated, and saying that should you benefit from their gift by ending up in a position to do so, their hope (and you obligation in accepting the money) is that you will pay it forward to the next generation of lawyers.

and
romothesavior wrote:I don't see a problem with it either, but I think a better place to say it is right before graduation. It seems silly and off-putting for a school to say it up front.



This is what I was getting at. I totally agree with the concept of giving back to our schools when we are able, but a schoool outright saying it is a tad tacky IMO.

User avatar
kaydish21
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: Weird line in Cornell scholarship letter

Postby kaydish21 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:29 pm

I've seen a bunch of PI scholarships that also state there is an either implicit or explicit expectation that the scholarship is repaid if you do not enter public interest law. Some of them have interest and others don't. Nonetheless, the wording in that is beyond ridiculous.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bunbury, SuperAverageJoe, Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests