Which would you choose?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
procrastinator

Which would you choose?

Postby procrastinator » Thu May 06, 2010 3:57 pm

Alright folks, I have little time to decide on which of these two schools to attend. I'll most likely be visiting both next week. Chime in with any opinions you may have. Both are out of state for me, and FSU is a tad bit more expensive, but I do not consider my student debt to be a decisive factor.

University of Kansas
Pros: Close to home (Iowa), heard great things about Lawrence, many friends from UG with jobs in KC
Cons: Winter, low employment stats

Florida State University ($5k one-time scholly)
Pros: No winter, complete change of scenery, my last boss did UG there and loved it
Cons: Way far from home, I know very little about what life in Florida is like

Another factor for consideration:
SO is an accountant and I'd prefer to not eat ramen for the next three years because she can't find a job

Dr. Strangelove

Re: Which would you choose?

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Thu May 06, 2010 4:00 pm

If I were you, I'd pick FSU- especially since you don't consider student debt to be a particularly decisive factor.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Thu May 06, 2010 4:02 pm

Can you gain residency in KS after 1L? I'm pretty sure at FSU you would have to pay out of state for 3 years.

You have a significant other and it is law school, meaning you probably won't have the fun like your last boss had at FSU UG.

It also seems like you want to go to KU already anyway, so KU.

procrastinator

Postby procrastinator » Thu May 06, 2010 4:13 pm

I'm not sure on KS residency. I'm sort of smacking myself in the forehead for not changing my declared state for income tax purposes to Kansas as I was stationed there until last July. Then I'd definitely have residency, but I was also hoping to be accepted to Iowa.

As far as having fun during law school goes, my SO doesn't have a tight leash on me.

I'm really not particularly sold on KU over FSU, that's why I started this thread. I'm not sure whether "close to home" matters much to me or not, but I do know the midwest is tried and true as a place I could live the rest of my life — I've only been to Florida once, for work, for three days, and that was Pensacola.

procrastinator

Postby procrastinator » Thu May 06, 2010 4:14 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:If I were you, I'd pick FSU- especially since you don't consider student debt to be a particularly decisive factor.

Can you detail your reasons?

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Thu May 06, 2010 5:41 pm

procrastinator wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:If I were you, I'd pick FSU- especially since you don't consider student debt to be a particularly decisive factor.

Can you detail your reasons?

Simple- better employment stats.

procrastinator

Postby procrastinator » Sat May 08, 2010 5:07 am

Update. Starting to think FSU. FSU clearly outlines 2L residency as a lengthy but almost guaranteed process. Kansas I still haven't heard back on that issue.

Of course the SO wants Lawrence because it's closer to home, although I think her employment market will be better in Tally (she's currently wrapping up her CPA exams).

I'm going to visit both schools next week, but if anyone else wants to weigh in, please do!

lawschoolstudent85

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Sat May 08, 2010 6:00 am

It won't be easy to establish residency in Florida but it is definitely doable if you want to make it happen. Assuming you get it, you'll be looking at 14k or so for your last two years of law school. Not too shabby.

I encourage you to do some research in the FSU threads you can find on this site. The current/former FSU students speak really highly of their experience, both in and out of the classroom. FSU is most likely where I'll be in the fall, and the postings on this website have really made me feel like I'm making a great choice.

lawschoolstudent85

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Sat May 08, 2010 6:01 am

Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Feynman

Postby Feynman » Sat May 08, 2010 6:08 am

Don't know much about these places but Florida is clearly the better place to live (weather, etc.).

A tip on your residency issue: If you get married to your SO it is often easier to obtain residency in the state provided your wife/husband works in the state. Just something to think about and check into. A lot of schools will not advertise how easy it is to get residency if your wife/husband is working in state.

Neither is a bad choice and neither is a clear choice. Provided they are a similar cost, I would say quality of life favors Florida. But if you want to be closer to home maybe not.

Best of luck.

procrastinator

Postby procrastinator » Sat May 08, 2010 6:28 am

Thanks, guys. Wiggs, I did notice the FSU discuss your school thread and it's one of the reasons I'm leaning toward it.

As far as getting married is concerned, I don't think that's in the cards for anytime before Fall '11, but we have been together for nearly 5 years, so who knows. She's never seen money as a proper motivation for it, despite being one of those stingy accountants. :)

legalized

Postby legalized » Sat May 08, 2010 11:04 am

procrastinator wrote:Alright folks, I have little time to decide on which of these two schools to attend. I'll most likely be visiting both next week. Chime in with any opinions you may have. Both are out of state for me, and FSU is a tad bit more expensive, but I do not consider my student debt to be a decisive factor.

University of Kansas
Pros: Close to home (Iowa), heard great things about Lawrence, many friends from UG with jobs in KC
Cons: Winter, low employment stats

Florida State University ($5k one-time scholly)
Pros: No winter, complete change of scenery, my last boss did UG there and loved it
Cons: Way far from home, I know very little about what life in Florida is like

Another factor for consideration:
SO is an accountant and I'd prefer to not eat ramen for the next three years because she can't find a job

Smart choosing an SO who is in accounting. That's the sexiest profession right now next to nursing.

Be prepared to be underpaid in NORTH Florida where FSU is located, because college students willing to work for peanuts effectively become the illegal immigrants of that market. If you find something paying $10.00 an hour you're doing well.

There is winter in Tallahassee. It does get cold. People have this misconception all the time. It gets in the 30s and 40s. It is almost spitting distance from the Georgia border, so think of it as part of Georgia and not part of florida. North Fla. and South are basically two different countries.

Yes, FSU is a HUGE party school and take their games (esp. versus UF) SUPER serious. lol. Both major universities there party like nobody's business. So you will be fine on social life, since you have an S.O. If you don't have friends to hang out with Tallahassee sucks. The singles scene for people who are past the 18-22 range and actually wanting something serious SUCKS. Most people there who have someone met the person while in UG.

FSU's law school is a little away from the rest of the campus, and there is a decent looking apt. complex right near it. I forget the name...darn. Jefferson Arms? I think.

Bring a car. No matter what people try to tell you the bus system is for freshmen, and inconvenient. The FSU shuttles are nice though, if you live on a route. But after hours and just for convenience purposes, a car is necessary in Florida.

And, the cost of living is supposedly low, but that's if you are in a student apartment (usually a quad) paying $399 a month. $299 a month if you catch their specials, which are happening NOW through summer (so get busy looking if you decide on FSU).

FSU is well regarded (2nd only to UF) in the entire state of florida, and has a SUPREMELY strong alumni network in town since it's the capital of Florida and all the government etc. offices are there (and a glut of lawyers...you would not think a small town like that would have so many lawyers).

legalized

Postby legalized » Sat May 08, 2010 11:06 am

procrastinator wrote:Update. Starting to think FSU. FSU clearly outlines 2L residency as a lengthy but almost guaranteed process. Kansas I still haven't heard back on that issue.

Of course the SO wants Lawrence because it's closer to home, although I think her employment market will be better in Tally (she's currently wrapping up her CPA exams).

I'm going to visit both schools next week, but if anyone else wants to weigh in, please do!

If you go to FSU be prepared to practice in Florida or the southeast upon graduation. If you want to be able to go back home and practice go to Kansas.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat May 08, 2010 12:06 pm

legalized wrote:If you go to FSU be prepared to practice in Florida [strike]or the southeast[/strike] upon graduation. If you want to be able to go back home and practice go to Kansas.

FTFY, but this is pretty much TCR. If you're cool with living in FL, go to FSU, if you want to practice back home, then Kansas.

That said, a caveat about the FL market. Just like in other areas of the country, people are getting no-offered from biglaw and local govt. might as well be on hiring freeze. However, the FL market is also disgustingly glutted with attorneys, having UF, FSU, Miami, Stetson, and numerous TTTs. People who go to UF, the top dog of FL, and are hovering around the medians are having a tough time finding jobs. The situation is no better at FSU.

That said, I still think FSU can be a fine choice, and I know you're not concerned about cost, but FSU is probably not worth sticker unless you get in-state your 2nd and 3rd year. Just out of curiosity, why is cost not an issue?

lawschoolstudent85

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Sat May 08, 2010 12:26 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”