Is this list sufficient for a 3.0/(170-180) splitter? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Is this list sufficient for a 3.0/(170-180) splitter?

Post by vanwinkle » Sat May 08, 2010 8:40 pm

Georgiana wrote:Just as a side note, there is an official Wharton Certificate available to law students who don't/can't do the official MBA so you can get the name on your resume without having to say "oh PS look I took a class at Wharton."
That does at least give you an excuse to put it on your resume, but I do question how much value that actually has. I've worked in the real world before and seen people who have stacks of those kind of certificates, and most of them are just regarded as mostly worthless attempts at resume-padding. It's a Wharton one, so it might be a little better-regarded than that, but I suspect it wouldn't help nearly as much as the actual MBA would.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Sat May 08, 2010 8:41 pm

This PA resident got rejected to Penn a couple years ago ED with 170 /3.15.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/gjrmf

It's up to you how to weigh the risks. With 170, I'd probably ED UVA. With 171+ the chance with Penn improves.

Also, if you are rounding up to 3.0 and are actually like 2.92 then this is irrelevant and you need WE, 171 and ED to NU. T14 hates sub-3.0.

Dr. Strangelove

Silver

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Sun May 09, 2010 1:12 am

I'm putting off finishing my major next semester (Math) just to shoot for a higher GPA. I would of had a goddamn 3.8 this semester if it wasn't for my two math classes (Abstract Algebra, Differential Equations).

My classes
Financial Accounting (Econ 182)
Consumerism in Britain & US (History 106S)
The New Nation 1800-1860 (History 111C)
Italian II (Italian 2)
Geometry (Math 123S)

I only have two hopes at this point.
1.) Ace the LSAT. It seems there are sub 3.0's who are getting into pretty good places with a 170-ish score but I want to beat the odds by breaking 175 and applying to these schools on the day they are out.
2.) Hopefully get a 4.0 or close to it next semester. None of these classes are going to be killers. I can do it. I'm hoping that if I do this even if a lot of top law schools waitlist me (hopefully not reject) from the start- I can get in some places later on.

Dr. Strangelove

Silver

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Thu May 20, 2010 5:55 pm

So I have made up a new list.

Columbia
Chicago
NYU
Michigan
Virginia
Penn
Duke
Cornell
Georgetown
UCLA
Vanderbilt
Fordham
Illinois
Wash U
Minnesota
George Washington
Notre Dame
Emory

I'm not going to apply to Northwestern because I don't have any full-time WE. I've worked part-time at various places for many years but that doesn't really count.
UT-Austin seems very Texas resident focused and, as a result, I don't stand a chance there.
Harvard, Yale, Stanford, and Berkeley were taken off for fairly obvious reasons..
I also took off USC/Boston University because neither school seems particularly splitter-friendly and I couldn't see myself picking either school over any of the ones on my list anyway.. unless one was to give a nice scholarship, 8)
I added Fordham because it's in New York City and I do know people who went BigLaw there.

The strategy is to ace the LSAT and apply ASAP. It seems applying really early, while it doesn't give as much of a boost as Early Decision, still gives a boost at many schools.
Not sure if I'm going to go Early Decision anywhere, in particular, because I do have a solid Plan B. (Accounting route)

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu May 20, 2010 6:13 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:So I have made up a new list.

Columbia
Chicago
NYU
Michigan
Virginia
Penn
Duke
Cornell
Georgetown
UCLA
Vanderbilt
Fordham
Illinois
Wash U
Minnesota
George Washington
Notre Dame
Emory

I'm not going to apply to Northwestern because I don't have any full-time WE. I've worked part-time at various places for many years but that doesn't really count.
UT-Austin seems very Texas resident focused and, as a result, I don't stand a chance there.
Harvard, Yale, Stanford, and Berkeley were taken off for fairly obvious reasons..
I also took off USC/Boston University because neither school seems particularly splitter-friendly and I couldn't see myself picking either school over any of the ones on my list anyway.. unless one was to give a nice scholarship, 8)
I added Fordham because it's in New York City and I do know people who went BigLaw there.

The strategy is to ace the LSAT and apply ASAP. It seems applying really early, while it doesn't give as much of a boost as Early Decision, still gives a boost at many schools.
Not sure if I'm going to go Early Decision anywhere, in particular, because I do have a solid Plan B. (Accounting route)
What is your GPA going to look liek when you apply?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dr. Strangelove

Silver

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Thu May 20, 2010 10:02 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:So I have made up a new list.

Columbia
Chicago
NYU
Michigan
Virginia
Penn
Duke
Cornell
Georgetown
UCLA
Vanderbilt
Fordham
Illinois
Wash U
Minnesota
George Washington
Notre Dame
Emory

What is your GPA going to look liek when you apply?
Sub 3.0 by September, probably will be approximately 3.0 (maybe higher) by December.
I'd probably only send an application out to CCN if I score 173+ on the LSAT.

ze2151

Bronze

Post by ze2151 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:06 pm

do you have an official lsat score, or is that 170-180 range just a prediction?

Dr. Strangelove

Silver

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Thu May 20, 2010 10:10 pm

ze2151 wrote:do you have an official lsat score, or is that 170-180 range just a prediction?
Taking it this June.
I'm currently doing around 170-175 on practice exams. I can get a 175 if I get no LG and RC questions wrong but LR is the section I lose the most points on...
But we'll see what happens.
I've seen 2.8/170's get accepted to Wash U on LSN, so I'm hoping for that same kind of luck if I obtain a 170.
Less than 170, I'd probably retake the LSAT and do something else before applying to law school.
Then I might be able to get into Northwestern which I have no chance at straight out of undergrad.

ze2151

Bronze

Post by ze2151 » Fri May 21, 2010 12:52 am

don't worry that much, doc. at least one school on that list will go after you if you get 170. esp if you show genuine interest.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”