Study Abroad Grades?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rmansoor

Study Abroad Grades?

Postby rmansoor » Thu May 06, 2010 1:48 am

I just read this topic: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=98025

And am a little confused. I will be studying abroad this summer, taking 2 courses and my uni will not process the grades but will instead send the transcript of the school I studied abroad at to whichever law school I plan to apply to.

So, does LSAC NOT count the grades from these two courses?

The courses are from the host uni, my uni just has an 'exchange' agreement with them or w/e.

lebob

Re: Study Abroad Grades?

Postby lebob » Thu May 06, 2010 1:53 am

they should count

the lsac will automatically factor in those grades into the overall equation, even though they are separate from your regular university transcript

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Fri May 07, 2010 2:35 am

lebob wrote:they should count

the lsac will automatically factor in those grades into the overall equation, even though they are separate from your regular university transcript

I don't think they will count since they're study abroad grades and it's not a satellite school for his university and his university isn't counting them toward his GPA. Study abroad grades are treated differently from grades earned in the US.

MartianManhunter

Postby MartianManhunter » Fri May 07, 2010 2:58 am

I took 3 courses abroad over the summer through a program unrelated to my college. LSAC didnt want my study abroad grades. The only school in the t14 that asked was Stanford.

rmansoor

Postby rmansoor » Fri May 07, 2010 3:20 pm

MartianManhunter wrote:I took 3 courses abroad over the summer through a program unrelated to my college. LSAC didnt want my study abroad grades. The only school in the t14 that asked was Stanford.

Thanks yo!

And BTW to CoaltoNewCastle, I'm a girl =)

acdisagod

Postby acdisagod » Fri May 07, 2010 3:24 pm

I studied abroad for a year, grades did not factor into my LSAC gpa unfortunately. Law schools will see the grades however.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Sat May 08, 2010 1:29 am

rmansoor wrote:
MartianManhunter wrote:I took 3 courses abroad over the summer through a program unrelated to my college. LSAC didnt want my study abroad grades. The only school in the t14 that asked was Stanford.

Thanks yo!

And BTW to CoaltoNewCastle, I'm a girl =)

Ugh well you shouldn't have "man" in your name. :(

lshopeful3232

Postby lshopeful3232 » Sat May 08, 2010 1:39 am

actually people on this thread seem to be giving confusing advice.

the lsac rules say that if you studied abroad at a foreign institution then the grades are not required by LSAC.
however, if you did a study abroad semester with another american university's program then the grades are required and will count toward your LSAC gpa.

so if for example you studied at the university of florence and applied directly to them - doesnt count
if you studied abroad with a program such as Yale in London - grades WILL count.
it doesnt matter for how long or if it was just the summer, the distinction is based on this the type of university (foreign vs. american-run program)

crispy13

Postby crispy13 » Sun May 09, 2010 6:34 pm

Wow, everyone is so helpful here! It's been enlightening to read through this thread. One question, though. Does anyone know if law schools take into account the lack of grade inflation and/or drastically different scaling methods that foreign schools utilize? I'm sure each school is different, and they probably won't even look at the grades. I just have this nightmare that someone on an admissions committee is going to toss out my application because my year abroad grades (at a prestigious UK institution) average out at 70 (an A). :/

fwaam

Postby fwaam » Sun May 09, 2010 10:06 pm

I think the grade-deflation in the UK is fairly well-known. If your grades wind up factoring into your LSAC GPA (and most don't--mine didn't), it might make a difference, but if it's just sort of an FYI to the schools I doubt they'd hold it against you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”