LOR: Professor in Class vs Professor in Research

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HaydenNoble

LOR: Professor in Class vs Professor in Research

Postby HaydenNoble » Thu May 06, 2010 1:25 am

Hello,
I am beginning to look for at least one professor who could possibly write me a Letter of Recommendation. I have one professor who I took two classes with and I got an A in both of his classes, but the class was a size of 300 students and thus I was super unnoticeable. I did go to his office hours occasionally but most likely not enough for him to recognize me. There are other professor's that I have currently not had a chance to take a class with, but I would be able to do research with and possibly get a Letter of Rec. I have one Letter of Rec already secured from a previous employer so I am looking for one Letter from a professor. However, I am not sure what would weigh more.

Teacher with no personal interaction with but 2 A's.
Teacher with no classes with, but definite one on one time.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

JoyceL1986

Re: LOR: Professor in Class vs Professor in Research

Postby JoyceL1986 » Thu May 06, 2010 1:41 am

Get one from a professor who knows you and your academic abilities best. It doesn't matter if your professor won a nobel peace prize. You're better off getting a LOR from a TA that you spent good amount of time with.

HaydenNoble

Postby HaydenNoble » Thu May 06, 2010 2:16 am

Thanks for the advice, but I don't actually no anyone that has won the nobel peace prize anyways.

I am only asking a specific question pertaining to my specific situation. Thank you though.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Thu May 06, 2010 2:33 am

HaydenNoble wrote:Thanks for the advice, but I don't actually no anyone that has won the nobel peace prize anyways.

I am only asking a specific question pertaining to my specific situation. Thank you though.

^lulz.

why not ask them both? sounds like there's an argument for either one. and if one of them reacts noticeably more favorably than the other, then you'll know.

Osos

Postby Osos » Thu May 06, 2010 2:33 am

The way I see it there's no reason to ask the professor who doesn't really know you for a letter. Sure, you got two As, but the law school admissions will see those grades anyhow since you'll be giving them a transcript. The research professor is definitely better.
Of course, you can always send three letters, but you'd be better off sending two good letters than two good letters and one from a professor who wouldn't recognize you.

HaydenNoble

Postby HaydenNoble » Thu May 06, 2010 2:39 am

I would ask them both, but the second option (the research professor) would only be available if I applied for research this summer. So unless if I HAVE to do research , I probably won't do it. In short, no I have not done the research yet lol.

I was just wondering because some law schools say, we want on LOR from a professor. I just want to see if one could stretch that boundary to include a professor that you did not take a class with but did research with.

Osos

Postby Osos » Thu May 06, 2010 2:44 am

HaydenNoble wrote:I would ask them both, but the second option (the research professor) would only be available if I applied for research this summer. So unless if I HAVE to do research , I probably won't do it. In short, no I have not done the research yet lol.

I was just wondering because some law schools say, we want on LOR from a professor. I just want to see if one could stretch that boundary to include a professor that you did not take a class with but did research with.

whoa whoa whoa so neither professor really knows you as of now, and you don't even want to work with the research professor except to hope that he ends up liking you and writes you a letter?
Is there somebody else you can use in case that doesn't work out?

HaydenNoble

Postby HaydenNoble » Thu May 06, 2010 2:56 am

Honestly, nope. I already have one LOR.
There is another teacher that I took last quarter and the previous quarter and I also got 1 A and 1 A- in. I got discouraged however after I sent him an email asking if he had research opportunities available in his lab and his response was literally. "Hi, no. sorry" No joke. I was super super super sad because of that move.

But as it stands now, these are my only options...

Osos

Postby Osos » Thu May 06, 2010 2:59 am

Don't be discouraged just because of that! The fact that he doesn't have research opportunities in his lab by no means necessitates that he can't write you a good letter of recommendation. Why don't you send him an email asking if you can come by his office hours to discuss a possible letter?

HaydenNoble

Postby HaydenNoble » Thu May 06, 2010 3:05 am

I was not discouraged by the fact that there were no research opportunities. I was discouraged because of the way he said it to me. Maybe I can find him on campus tomorrow...

Osos

Postby Osos » Thu May 06, 2010 3:08 am

Professors often just write emails that way, there's no need to be offended. Don't try to find him in the hallway or anything though, send him a nice email asking if he is free to talk.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79766

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”