The web search that is giving me serious pause...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dakatz

Re: The web search that is giving me serious pause...

Postby dakatz » Sat May 08, 2010 2:11 pm

Unemployed wrote:
dakatz wrote:Amen. I stopped by Columbia Law yesterday since I know some people in the area, and the snobbery and pretension was just through the roof. I've always been a pretty humble and chill person, and could never imagine myself in such an environment. I really hope not all schools are like this, though I'm afraid they might be.

:lol: :lol:

A humble and chill person usually doesn't say things like this with a straight face!

I'm chill in that I would always seem to be in place no matter who I'm with, and would never put anyone down. But that doesn't mean that, on the inside, I wouldn't feel like a total outsider.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Sat May 08, 2010 2:20 pm

dakatz wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
dakatz wrote:Amen. I stopped by Columbia Law yesterday since I know some people in the area, and the snobbery and pretension was just through the roof. I've always been a pretty humble and chill person, and could never imagine myself in such an environment. I really hope not all schools are like this, though I'm afraid they might be.

A humble and chill person usually doesn't say things like this with a straight face!

I'm chill in that I would always seem to be in place no matter who I'm with, and would never put anyone down. But that doesn't mean that, on the inside, I wouldn't feel like a total outsider.

Fixed for clarity :lol:

I am joking around.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sat May 08, 2010 2:23 pm

Unemployed wrote:
dakatz wrote:
Unemployed wrote:

Fixed for clarity :lol:

I am joking around.

Lol, as am I. There are snobby people no matter where you go, and I'm sure Columbia is no worse than the others. Not like I wouldn't still love to go there for school.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Sat May 08, 2010 2:49 pm

uwb09 wrote:
Matthies wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
Matthies wrote:Pretty funny but yesterday at "new lawyer boot camp aka how not to get disbarred" they said the number one reason, 3x1 over any of single grievance complaint they get about new lawyers is 'bad personality/personal skills" then showed a us a demand letter written by, wait for it, a newly minted T14 lawyer who opened the letter to opposing counsel with "Dear Douchbag." He's on a 1 year suspension now.

:lol:
I'm laughing to keep from crying at the fact you actually need a class to be told not to do this!!!

Dude PEOPLE WHERE TAKING NOTES :roll:

it's kinda sad that "being part of an undergrad campus/other grad school community" had to be pretty high on my priority list, but man, almost every other student I knew in undergrad who wanted to go to law school was just a snobby stuck up douchebag, if i had to be in an entirely separate building/campus with 85% people like that, i'd want to shoot myself

there are obviously exceptions, there seem to be a lot of cool/chill/social/down to earth people on this site, but i'm not looking forward to the amount of snobby/self-entitled a-holes awaiting me next year

Your reputation is a HUGE thing in the legal field and it starts the day you start law school. They talked allot about if Friday, saying how in my state there are 35k lawyers but everyone knows everyone else. I have seen this first hand.

Twice in the past year I have gotten calls about from a lawyer or judge who knew me personally to ask about an applicants reputation in law school. Both time the persons there were calling about had a bad rap. Luckily for me (because I feel really icky about throwing ANYONE under the bus) I did not really have that much personal interaction with either of these people, so I was able to pass the buck. I told them I did not really know them personally BUT I did know classmates who did and had been burned by the person and then gave them their contact info so they could get the info first hand. Both time these people later called me to thank me from keeping them from hiring a "bad apple" one whose rep is so bad that two years after graduation everyone knows this person's name because they have burned lawyers they have worked with already.

It works on the other end too. Wednesday I get a call from a very prominate and high powered local attorney i have done work for in the past that needed a motion by Monday. I could not do it, I was over booked and just could not take on another project with that short of a deadline, but I told him I could recommend a classmate who might be able to. Called the classmate, he said he was open, set up the contact. Friday when I got out of class I had voice mails from both of them, lawyer loved this guys work, and the classmate got asked by the lawyer to be second chair on a big fed case he has coming up (mind this classmate has been without a job for a year, in large part because he job search has consitisted solely of responding to want adds/school job posting which is about useless). In the span of 2 days with a little help from me the guy is now doing work for the lawyer who three years ago introduced me to a state supreme court justice who has since become a close friend. this is how the legal world really works folks.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Mon May 10, 2010 6:43 am

pinkzeppelin wrote:
mytwocents wrote:I'm pretty sure it's the same guy. I'm also pretty sure that he wrote a hell of a post (similar to Arrow's famous thread) about all the ins and outs of networking in law school. It's golden, and absolutely bookmark-able.

ETA: Matthies, have you ever posted anything like that thread on TLS? LSD is pretty sparsely populated (compared to TLS, at least), you'd be helping even more people by posting it here.

Here's a link. http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prel ... msg5153383

^^^^ pure GOLD!

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Mon May 10, 2010 9:01 am

My first result ... a model for 5 years and an MTV VJ??

http://www.linkedin.com/in/angeltang

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Mon May 10, 2010 10:58 am

goodolgil wrote:My first result ... a model for 5 years and an MTV VJ??

They have those at UMich?

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Mon May 10, 2010 11:11 am

goodolgil wrote:My first result ... a model for 5 years and an MTV VJ??

I'm pretty sure you did it wrong. You're supposed to include the years 2006-2009 in the search. That will weed out current students and past alumni, and leave you with those alumni that just graduated. That girl goes to U Mich right now.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Mon May 10, 2010 11:16 am

yeah, youre right!

still, itneresting result

GermX

Postby GermX » Mon May 10, 2010 5:49 pm

Wow I'm really impressed with GW Law's results.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon May 10, 2010 7:38 pm

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon May 10, 2010 7:50 pm

I logged into LinkedIn and couldn't find the option to refine the search by grad year. When I attempted the Google route, it brought up undergrads :(.

LateNight

Postby LateNight » Tue May 11, 2010 9:07 am

It's ok, we all know that we are going to be unemployable and impoverished. I don't need a google search to tell me that. :)

It is interesting that not many people from my choice top 20 last year work in law... they are teachers or in a different field.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”