Wait listed everywhere

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pelican

Wait listed everywhere

Postby pelican » Wed May 05, 2010 7:03 pm

I have been either wait listed or placed on hold nearly everywhere I've applied. I'm trying to figure out what the greatest weakness in my application is. I scored a 166 on my LSAT and have a cumulative GPA of 3.54 with a double major at a top 20 undergraduate institution. Here are my weaknesses:

- I have minimal extracurricular activities and volunteering on my resume. It isn't empty, but it certainly isn't stacked.

- Since graduating in 2008 I have worked as a bartender. Not impressive.

- My personal statement is well written (at least I think so), but it is not very memorable.

- I applied right at the deadline for every school.

I have been wait listed at William and Mary, Emory, BC, BU, UNC and UGA, and placed on hold at Wake Forest and Illinois.

What I'm wondering is what could be the biggest factor that is preventing these schools from accepting me? Nobody seems to want to reject me? What do you think the biggest factor keeping me out is? Any recommendations how I should try and get off these wait lists? Aside from LOCI's, should I take the LSAT again? I think I can probably score a couple points higher. Should I seek some sort of resume building employment over the summer? Volunteer? Any advice would be much appreciated.

tadams86

Re: Wait listed everywhere

Postby tadams86 » Wed May 05, 2010 7:04 pm

I would go ahead and say you applied too late.

redsox

Postby redsox » Wed May 05, 2010 7:10 pm

GPA/LSAT. According to LSN most people with similar numbers are looking at waitlists at those schools. And as a bartender who applied right at the deadline with minimal extracurriculars and a personal statement that isn't memorable, you probably don't scream "You should let me in."

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed May 05, 2010 7:14 pm

Be thankful you have ANY answers at all!!!! You could be like some with only 3 schools responding and FIVE FUCKING SCHOOLS WHO WON'T GET OFF THEIR FAT ASSES TO MAKE ANY DECISION AT FUCKING ALL!!!! FOR THE LOVE OF (insert spiritual preference here) DO SOMETHING.... GIVE MY SISTER A GOLDEN SHOWER, BUTT RAPE MY DAD.... ANYTHING BUT NOTHING!!!!!!

You make me sick with all your "waitlists". :evil: :evil: :evil:

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Wed May 05, 2010 7:28 pm

yeah if you look at Emory then 166 LSAT should be auto-admit. baring something like "this kid is a loser" in your LOR the reason is almost assuredly too late of an application. I would say apply early next year w/ better softs and possibly higher LSAT. Maybe ED to Georgetown Part Time.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Wed May 05, 2010 7:29 pm

pelican wrote:I have been either wait listed or placed on hold nearly everywhere I've applied. I'm trying to figure out what the greatest weakness in my application is. I scored a 166 on my LSAT and have a cumulative GPA of 3.54 with a double major at a top 20 undergraduate institution. Here are my weaknesses:

- I have minimal extracurricular activities and volunteering on my resume. It isn't empty, but it certainly isn't stacked.

- My personal statement is well written (at least I think so), but it is not very memorable.

I applied right at the deadline for every school.

I have been wait listed at William and Mary, Emory, BC, BU, UNC and UGA, and placed on hold at Wake Forest and Illinois.

What I'm wondering is what could be the biggest factor that is preventing these schools from accepting me? Nobody seems to want to reject me? What do you think the biggest factor keeping me out is? Any recommendations how I should try and get off these wait lists? Aside from LOCI's, should I take the LSAT again? I think I can probably score a couple points higher. Should I seek some sort of resume building employment over the summer? Volunteer? Any advice would be much appreciated.

That killed you. Applying late severely reduces your chances as law schools are on rolling admissions. If you apply next cycle you must apply early. Timing is crucial for borderline applicants.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed May 05, 2010 7:51 pm

The only schools on that list you would have really been a shoe in anyway was UGA and Wake, and since you applied at the deadline (why?!) I am not surprised at all you are staring down a number of waitlists.

Like others have said, apply early next cycle and you will probably be admitted to at least half of these schools.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu May 06, 2010 3:07 am

You applied on the last possible day for every school, with mediocre softs and PS. I'd say your results are pretty much expected.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Thu May 06, 2010 3:11 am

Mr. Matlock wrote:Be thankful you have ANY answers at all!!!! You could be like some with only 3 schools responding and FIVE FUCKING SCHOOLS WHO WON'T GET OFF THEIR FAT ASSES TO MAKE ANY DECISION AT FUCKING ALL!!!! FOR THE LOVE OF (insert spiritual preference here) DO SOMETHING.... GIVE MY SISTER A GOLDEN SHOWER, BUTT RAPE MY DAD.... ANYTHING BUT NOTHING!!!!!!

You make me sick with all your "waitlists". :evil: :evil: :evil:

--ImageRemoved--

legalized

Postby legalized » Thu May 06, 2010 9:53 am

pelican wrote:I have been either wait listed or placed on hold nearly everywhere I've applied. I'm trying to figure out what the greatest weakness in my application is. I scored a 166 on my LSAT and have a cumulative GPA of 3.54 with a double major at a top 20 undergraduate institution. Here are my weaknesses:

- I applied right at the deadline for every school.

It's almost September, for all practical purposes. I am sure from what I see going on with other people you just applied way too late.

You could withdraw from all, retake the LSAT June or October, and apply September/October/November.

Or go visit the schools you most want to attend, get your face known, send a LOCI, and go volunteer in something legal maybe so you can have that to update them with your LOCI.

Good luck!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”