Ok, who has visited USD Law?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pegleg

Ok, who has visited USD Law?

Postby pegleg » Wed May 05, 2010 3:41 pm

Everytime I post this, it never gets any responses :(

If you've visited USD Law, gone to the ASD/are a current or former student, let me know what you think of the campus (classrooms, law library), vibe from your peers and instructors, parking and transportation situation, and where most people live in close proximity to the campus.

If you rented in a good area/apt complex and want to recommend it, I'd appreciate that too. Thanks!

CmonSD

Re: Ok, who has visited USD Law?

Postby CmonSD » Wed May 05, 2010 5:48 pm

Well I have visited the campus many times and hope I get off the damn waitlist....BUT the campus is beautiful, library is nothing special, all the students I have met are really nice/helpful, undergrad kids are a bit obnoxious/rich/brats and I believe the undergrad is still heavily Catholic. San Diego is amazing. Public transportation is great with the trolley and coaster that can take you East/South/North.

I live in PB and I love it. I can take my dogs running around the bay or take a bike ride to the beach. A lot of undergrad kids live in PB and it can get pretty roudy though. The area directly surrounding campus is not the greatest. You can find good deals on apartments semi close by. I really like the Old Town area which is probably a 5 min drive to school. Expect to pay around $600 or so to share a room and at least $1000 for your own one bedroom in a semi-decent area. To avoid traffic, don't live north of La Jolla, East of the 15 freeway or South of the 94. Hope this helps. If you have any others questions about the area feel free to PM me.

CmonSD

Postby CmonSD » Wed May 05, 2010 5:51 pm

Oh and for the parking, the law school parking lot is small, but the main parking structure is close by. Just be careful because no one can drive in San Diego, let alone in a confined area.

pegleg

Postby pegleg » Wed May 05, 2010 5:58 pm

CmonSD wrote:Oh and for the parking, the law school parking lot is small, but the main parking structure is close by. Just be careful because no one can drive in San Diego, let alone in a confined area.

Do you have to purchase a permit?

CmonSD

Postby CmonSD » Wed May 05, 2010 6:03 pm

I believe so. I don't know how much they are though.

pegleg

Postby pegleg » Wed May 05, 2010 6:09 pm

CmonSD wrote:I believe so. I don't know how much they are though.

Thanks for the advice. What is the Ocean Beach area like?

CmonSD

Postby CmonSD » Wed May 05, 2010 6:44 pm

pegleg wrote:
CmonSD wrote:I believe so. I don't know how much they are though.

Thanks for the advice. What is the Ocean Beach area like?

OB is REALLY laid back. The beach is nice and there is a dog beach too, which is cool. Total beach area in every way you can think of. Kinda dirty, but if you can find a nice place, then it would be awesome.

dlac

Postby dlac » Thu May 06, 2010 1:27 am

I'm not going to USD but I took my LSAT there. The classrooms are nice with big desks, perfect for laying out my shaz all over the place. The building I visited had a really nice spanish architecture layout and was really classy looking. The area of SD is amazing in general and I sorely miss it since moving back to L.A. You'll love PB and OB; thurs night happy hrs at PB are epic.

pegleg

Postby pegleg » Thu May 06, 2010 2:46 pm

dlac wrote:I'm not going to USD but I took my LSAT there. The classrooms are nice with big desks, perfect for laying out my shaz all over the place. The building I visited had a really nice spanish architecture layout and was really classy looking. The area of SD is amazing in general and I sorely miss it since moving back to L.A. You'll love PB and OB; thurs night happy hrs at PB are epic.

Thank you.

gobears09

Postby gobears09 » Thu May 06, 2010 2:55 pm

pegleg wrote:Everytime I post this, it never gets any responses :(

If you've visited USD Law, gone to the ASD/are a current or former student, let me know what you think of the campus (classrooms, law library), vibe from your peers and instructors, parking and transportation situation, and where most people live in close proximity to the campus.

If you rented in a good area/apt complex and want to recommend it, I'd appreciate that too. Thanks!

I took my LSAT at USD and studied in the law library and classrooms on a regular basis. The campus is beautiful. Absolutely beautiful! The only other law library Ive seen is Berkeleys and I would say that in comparison USD's has an undergraduate feel, but I wouldn't say thats a bad thing. The classrooms I went in were nice, stadium style small lecture halls with huge desks. The campus is VERY small and right on the undergraduate campus, not separate, if that means anything to you. The only USD law students I have met I met at bars in Pacific Beach, where they all lived. You will need a car if you live in San Diego. Parking was fine in the mornings, full by the afternoon, because of the undergraduate campus. All in all, the lifestyle at USD is not bad.

Edit: Thats all I know as a visitor to the campus and local San Diegan. Sorry I cannot comment on the student body in general or the professors.

pegleg

Postby pegleg » Thu May 06, 2010 4:11 pm

gobears09 wrote:
pegleg wrote:Everytime I post this, it never gets any responses :(

I took my LSAT at USD and studied in the law library and classrooms on a regular basis. The campus is beautiful. Absolutely beautiful! The only other law library Ive seen is Berkeleys and I would say that in comparison USD's has an undergraduate feel, but I wouldn't say thats a bad thing. The classrooms I went in were nice, stadium style small lecture halls with huge desks. The campus is VERY small and right on the undergraduate campus, not separate, if that means anything to you. The only USD law students I have met I met at bars in Pacific Beach, where they all lived. You will need a car if you live in San Diego. Parking was fine in the mornings, full by the afternoon, because of the undergraduate campus. All in all, the lifestyle at USD is not bad.

Edit: Thats all I know as a visitor to the campus and local San Diegan. Sorry I cannot comment on the student body in general or the professors.

It truly helps. Thank you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”