just an observation.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
inthefuture

just an observation.

Postby inthefuture » Wed May 05, 2010 2:20 pm

Although I haven't applied to schools, (applying next year), I have spoken to quite a few people and also checked out TLSers' scores and schools they have applied to.

I have realized that people are applying to many different schools at the same time, and it is a common occurrence that they are being admitted to, let's say, T20 schools and rejected from a T30.

Why is this happening? I understand it depends on current enrollment, and how many seats are available, but is that the only factor? Also, if they are applying at the same time, wouldn't the availability of the schools be relatively the same?

Do other factors play a role in this?

holydonkey

Re: just an observation.

Postby holydonkey » Wed May 05, 2010 2:25 pm

inthefuture wrote:Although I haven't applied to schools, (applying next year), I have spoken to quite a few people and also checked out TLSers' scores and schools they have applied to.

I have realized that people are applying to many different schools at the same time, and it is a common occurrence that they are being admitted to, let's say, T20 schools and rejected from a T30.

Why is this happening? I understand it depends on current enrollment, and how many seats are available, but is that the only factor? Also, if they are applying at the same time, wouldn't the availability of the schools be relatively the same?

Do other factors play a role in this?
Yes. When did they apply? Are they a splitter? Are they a URM? Did they ED? Where is the T30 located? If it's in NYC or DC, these schools medians are higher than their rank suggests due to prime location. They could have been YP'd. etc,etc,etc

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”