Question about in-state tuition?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dhg5004

Question about in-state tuition?

Postby dhg5004 » Wed May 05, 2010 10:59 am

So I'm thinking about going to Rutgers Newark...and the in-state tuition would be nice.

Here is my issue- I was born and raised in PA...about 15 mins from NJ...northeast of phila...bucks county to be exact. My parents own a beach house in OC NJ and we've had it for 10 years or so. My question is could I say this is my residence in order to get in-state tuition?

I realize it's a 'sneaky' move and some people may frown upon my effort in wiggling myself into the in-state tuition paying students. But is it such a horrible thing? I'd save thousandssss of dollars. On the application itself I said I was a PA resident...but I am wondering if I could dispute this? My parents pay the mortgage on the house...the state/property taxes etc.

Does anyone know how this situation could work out in my favor?

Thanks for anyone who has any ideas they'd like to throw at me.

JOThompson

Re: Question about in-state tuition?

Postby JOThompson » Wed May 05, 2010 11:07 am

dhg5004 wrote:So I'm thinking about going to Rutgers Newark...and the in-state tuition would be nice.

Here is my issue- I was born and raised in PA...about 15 mins from NJ...northeast of phila...bucks county to be exact. My parents own a beach house in OC NJ and we've had it for 10 years or so. My question is could I say this is my residence in order to get in-state tuition?

I realize it's a 'sneaky' move and some people may frown upon my effort in wiggling myself into the in-state tuition paying students. But is it such a horrible thing? I'd save thousandssss of dollars. On the application itself I said I was a PA resident...but I am wondering if I could dispute this? My parents pay the mortgage on the house...the state/property taxes etc.

About a year ago, I read that Rutgers Newark offers instate tuition if you provide proof of a twelve month lease in NJ. If that's still true, then you might avoid this skulking around and any C&F consequences...

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed May 05, 2010 2:04 pm

JOThompson wrote:
dhg5004 wrote:So I'm thinking about going to Rutgers Newark...and the in-state tuition would be nice.

About a year ago, I read that Rutgers Newark offers instate tuition if you provide proof of a twelve month lease in NJ. If that's still true, then you might avoid this skulking around and any C&F consequences...

This. There's no need to lie to get in-state at Rutgers.

renee15

Postby renee15 » Thu May 06, 2010 1:57 pm

Yeah you are good. You will be fine. I live in MA and am planning on getting in-state by signing a 12 month lease. No big deal!

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:53 pm

renee15 wrote:

Yeah you are good. You will be fine. I live in MA and am planning on getting in-state by signing a 12 month lease. No big deal!

oh okay. great thanks guys.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”