Another LSAC victim. Question.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cigrainger

Re: Another LSAC victim. Question.

Postby cigrainger » Thu May 06, 2010 10:03 am

disco_barred wrote:
cigrainger wrote:Do you guys think 250 words is alright for an addendum? I want to clear up the issue about the GPA and mention why my first year grades (though not horrible) are not as good as the rest of my grades (I had rheumatic fever with intense general inflammation that lasted over six months).

I'd say 250 is the absolute limit. Addenda are in most cases a place to convey info quickly, not write a towering essay. Keeping it shorter than 250 will convey maturity and respect to the adcoms, but as long as it's < 1 page you'll probably be good.

Thanks. Edited my original to note that the final confirmed diagnosis (I spent a very long time trying to get diagnosed -- went through possible diagnoses of everything from lupus to rheumatoid arthritis to cancer, talk about mentally destructive) is post-streptococcal inflammation rather than 'rheumatic fever' per se -- apparently the differences are very slight, but I want to use the correct term.

It's at 254. I may just try to cut out a few words here and there, but I've included everything I want in that word limit.

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Thu May 06, 2010 4:43 pm

Maybe all this is for naught and LSAC has realised the problems here! I just got this email from Berkeley's admissions office!:

Berkeley Law Admissions wrote:We believe LSAC will be changing the policy this year on evaluating foreign-educated students with some US-earned credits. It appears that this upcoming cycle, if most of your undergraduate education was abroad, you will not be assigned an LSAC GPA. Please verify this information with LSAC. If this is incorrect, you are encouraged to provide an addendum explaining the grade discrepancy.

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Thu May 06, 2010 5:23 pm

cigrainger wrote:Maybe all this is for naught and LSAC has realised the problems here! I just got this email from Berkeley's admissions office!:

Berkeley Law Admissions wrote:We believe LSAC will be changing the policy this year on evaluating foreign-educated students with some US-earned credits. It appears that this upcoming cycle, if most of your undergraduate education was abroad, you will not be assigned an LSAC GPA. Please verify this information with LSAC. If this is incorrect, you are encouraged to provide an addendum explaining the grade discrepancy.

Has anybody heard anything similar?

nawktasy

Postby nawktasy » Thu May 06, 2010 5:33 pm

cigrainger wrote:Maybe all this is for naught and LSAC has realised the problems here! I just got this email from Berkeley's admissions office!:

That's good news! Definitely follow up with LSAC as they suggested. I suggest doing it immediately, and if it turns out LSAC isn't changing the policy, perhaps ask Berkeley where they got their information. I'm sure they didn't just make up that information (though you never know with these admissions offices), so if the policy change isn't forthcoming, it sounds like the idea is at least out there. Maybe you can help push it along.

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Thu May 06, 2010 5:34 pm

nawktasy wrote:

That's good news! Definitely follow up with LSAC as they suggested. I suggest doing it immediately, and if it turns out LSAC isn't changing the policy, perhaps ask Berkeley where they got their information. I'm sure they didn't just make up that information (though you never know with these admissions offices), so if the policy change isn't forthcoming, it sounds like the idea is at least out there. Maybe you can help push it along.

Sounds possible. I have already emailed LSAC, but if I don't hear back I'll give them a call on Monday. Maybe if not this next cycle, they'll do this for the following one. In which case I'll just have to wait a year. I REALLY hope this is accurate!

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun May 16, 2010 7:49 am

Hey did you hear back from LSAC about them not counting the US credits?

Also earlier I wrote TLS UK forums when I meant threads, sorry about that.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun May 16, 2010 8:00 am

Also is your friend that is doing the llb planning on practicing in the states at all? It seems like this can be like a sneaky way to get into good law schools and not have to pay their ridiculous tuition fees for at least a year. (most places give llb people advanced standing) Also this could be a good route if you want to practice in both countries takes the same time as getting an llm but would be cheaper (i think). Haha if you do this maybe getting a first in an llb will really make them look past that 2.5.

aer

Postby aer » Sun May 16, 2010 8:32 am

cigrainger wrote:So, depending on my LSAT, but assuming I don't score MUCH lower than my current averages (and I have 3 weeks of pure LSAT studying after my last exam), this is my list:

Harvard
Columbia
NYU
Chicago
Berkeley
Penn
Mich
Northwestern
Georgetown
UCLA

Like I said before, I'm bounded in by the fact that my SO has to be able to find a job. I worry about Mich in this regard, but she's planning on getting an MPP, so she may just apply to go to school there. If you can convince me that she could get a paid job doing something policy (particularly social policy) related in Palo Alto, New Haven, Charlottesville, Durham, and/or Ithaca.

Edit: Also, I'd like the degree to be portable, but preferably to the coasts or Chicago. Interested in plaintiff's firms, PI, or gov't work, maybe in enviro, labour/employment, antitrust, securities, consumer protection, etc. I'm open to seeing what I enjoy when I get to law school.

Raleigh is a pretty short commute from Durham. Raleigh is the capital of North Carolina, so there should be paying state level social work in the area. I would look into it before writing off Duke.

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:31 pm

FlanAl wrote:Hey did you hear back from LSAC about them not counting the US credits?

Just heard back. They say there is no change that they know of, and that I will have a GPA that consists entirely of my dual enrollment GPA. What a pile of wank. I'm glad they didn't tell me before the LSAT because I probably just wouldn't have tried.

As it stands, I'm going to ED to the best school that I want to go to where my LSAT is over median and provide an addendum. I did get a First, so I'm going in with the best grades I could have gotten for my degree and what should be a very strong LSAT. I'm not sure what else I can do, and if I get locked out I'm basically just screwed because they have complete and arbitrary power to make bullshit decisions like this one.

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:31 pm

aer wrote:
cigrainger wrote:So, depending on my LSAT, but assuming I don't score MUCH lower than my current averages (and I have 3 weeks of pure LSAT studying after my last exam), this is my list:

Harvard
Columbia
NYU
Chicago
Berkeley
Penn
Mich
Northwestern
Georgetown
UCLA

Like I said before, I'm bounded in by the fact that my SO has to be able to find a job. I worry about Mich in this regard, but she's planning on getting an MPP, so she may just apply to go to school there. If you can convince me that she could get a paid job doing something policy (particularly social policy) related in Palo Alto, New Haven, Charlottesville, Durham, and/or Ithaca.

Edit: Also, I'd like the degree to be portable, but preferably to the coasts or Chicago. Interested in plaintiff's firms, PI, or gov't work, maybe in enviro, labour/employment, antitrust, securities, consumer protection, etc. I'm open to seeing what I enjoy when I get to law school.

Raleigh is a pretty short commute from Durham. Raleigh is the capital of North Carolina, so there should be paying state level social work in the area. I would look into it before writing off Duke.

Social policy =/= social work, but thank you. I will look into it.

Saltqjibo

Postby Saltqjibo » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:50 pm

Just a thought. Try looking at Canadian schools maybe? They often drop your lowest x number of courses. If your lsac GPA holds you up at all of the T14 you might consider U of T or Osgoode which both translate relatively easily into the states and are consider to be on par with T20 schools. Also both in Toronto. You might even get some mad scholarship dough if you kill the LSAT/ have those marks dropped.

disclaimer: don't really have that much idea what I'm talking about - Just shootin you an idea

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:16 pm

Saltqjibo wrote:Just a thought. Try looking at Canadian schools maybe? They often drop your lowest x number of courses. If your lsac GPA holds you up at all of the T14 you might consider U of T or Osgoode which both translate relatively easily into the states and are consider to be on par with T20 schools. Also both in Toronto. You might even get some mad scholarship dough if you kill the LSAT/ have those marks dropped.

disclaimer: don't really have that much idea what I'm talking about - Just shootin you an idea

Haha, thanks, but I would like to go to a US school and build up connections in a US city. Not to mention my SO is British and it will be difficult enough w/ her visa issues, let alone both of us.

creatinganalt

Postby creatinganalt » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:50 pm

cigrainger wrote:
FlanAl wrote:Hey did you hear back from LSAC about them not counting the US credits?

Just heard back. They say there is no change that they know of, and that I will have a GPA that consists entirely of my dual enrollment GPA. What a pile of wank. I'm glad they didn't tell me before the LSAT because I probably just wouldn't have tried.

As it stands, I'm going to ED to the best school that I want to go to where my LSAT is over median and provide an addendum. I did get a First, so I'm going in with the best grades I could have gotten for my degree and what should be a very strong LSAT. I'm not sure what else I can do, and if I get locked out I'm basically just screwed because they have complete and arbitrary power to make bullshit decisions like this one.

I'm not being rude but you don't seem too bright. You are literally the only applicant ever for whom an admissions consultant would be a good investment. You have a genuine 'unique/once in a cycle situation. Yale would probably take you. GET A CONSULTANT. Find out and then ED if you have no hope. You have a 1st. You need to go and get the best academic recommendations you can find. Amazing ones. Get a recommendation from your Dean/the US college explaining that this is a tragedy etc.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:01 pm

creatinganalt wrote:You have a genuine 'unique/once in a cycle situation.

renton had this exact same problem so it isnt that unique

admissions consultants cant change facts, hun

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:05 pm

creatinganalt wrote:
cigrainger wrote:

I'm not being rude but you don't seem too bright. You are literally the only applicant ever for whom an admissions consultant would be a good investment. You have a genuine 'unique/once in a cycle situation. Yale would probably take you. GET A CONSULTANT. Find out and then ED if you have no hope. You have a 1st. You need to go and get the best academic recommendations you can find. Amazing ones. Get a recommendation from your Dean/the US college explaining that this is a tragedy etc.

I'm not being rude but your assumption that "Yale would probably take" someone with a 2.5 LSDAS GPA and no LSAT score in hand is ridiculous.

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:05 am

IAFG wrote:
creatinganalt wrote:You have a genuine 'unique/once in a cycle situation.

renton had this exact same problem so it isnt that unique

admissions consultants cant change facts, hun

Who is this 'renton'? Are they on TLS or LSN? I'd be interested to see how it panned out for them. Thanks!

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:09 am

creatinganalt wrote:
cigrainger wrote:

Thank you, but you can only invest money you have, and I'm going to be scrounging all the money I can for applications. I believe applying to a broader range of schools would be a better investment than dropping several hundred dollars on someone who may just tell me what I already know.

That being said, I do have the best academic recommendations I could find. They don't touch on the issue of my DE grades, simply because I didn't know them then, but I know both recommenders well, did very well in their courses, and both have expressed that they wrote 'glowing' references.

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:14 am

im_blue wrote:
creatinganalt wrote:
cigrainger wrote:

I'm not being rude but your assumption that "Yale would probably take" someone with a 2.5 LSDAS GPA and no LSAT score in hand is ridiculous.

Agreed.

Thing is, I'd gladly take the hit if it was averaged into an overall GPA. If it was a few bad courses in a sea of 4.0, I would be annoyed and would certainly write an addendum about the discrepancy, but in this situation, I'm basically applying with my grades from my senior year in high school.

'Doesn't matter that you went to THES 20th best university in the world and earned the highest honours possible, we're going to determine your future based on a few grades from high school.'

creatinganalt

Postby creatinganalt » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:44 am

cigrainger wrote:
creatinganalt wrote:
cigrainger wrote:

Thank you, but you can only invest money you have, and I'm going to be scrounging all the money I can for applications. I believe applying to a broader range of schools would be a better investment than dropping several hundred dollars on someone who may just tell me what I already know.

That being said, I do have the best academic recommendations I could find. They don't touch on the issue of my DE grades, simply because I didn't know them then, but I know both recommenders well, did very well in their courses, and both have expressed that they wrote 'glowing' references.

Get another recommendation speaking directly to the grades disparity. Submit a complete addendum including things like your rank and touching on the difficulty of your course. How highly is it ranked? How well did you do? Do the work for the schools so that they can evaluate your international grades easily.This is just not an 'LSAC screwed you thing' this is an international students thing.

pming you

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:46 am

OP- another possibility to consider is applying to a few strong non T14s and achieving standout grades there, which you could use as a springboard. It's not ideal, but there is a non-trivial possibility that your application may get completely glossed over with a 2.5 GPA. Most of us on TLS don't know the actual inner workings of an admissions office, but there is little doubt that they are very numbers driven, and your application could simply end up in a pile that is given little to no further review. If you're a 175+ applicant with a First, you'd probably have a strong chance at HYS and a near lock on CCN if it weren't for that LSDAS GPA. Chances are someone like you could outperform the competition at a mid to lower T1, getting a class rank necessary to transfer into the above schools. With great 1L grades and a 175ish LSAT, your application would probably get a much more thorough examination. At the same time, I understand that if you're risk averse, you might be turned off to the idea of investing money in a school with the idea of transferring, given that top 5% grades are never a guarantee. However, it's a possibility worth considering and I hadn't seen it mentioned, so perhaps give it some thought.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”