foreign military service as a soft?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
APimpNamedSlickback

Re: foreign military service as a soft?

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Wed May 05, 2010 1:32 pm

x
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Thu May 06, 2010 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed May 05, 2010 1:32 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
Borhas wrote:^
APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
and i am something of a pro-israeli neocon troll btw. but this should indeed be hilarious

almost there... just a lil bit more trolling

brainless reductionism ftw?

You Neocon Bush Lover

LawandOrder

Postby LawandOrder » Wed May 05, 2010 1:34 pm

Lmao Zedong wrote:
LawandOrder wrote:
Lmao Zedong wrote:
LawandOrder wrote:Sounds like you should join IDF because you believe in it, not because of the affect it will have on your law school application.

honestly? do you really think anyone would do this? not even talking about my own case, which is obvious (because i've already made the final decision and am only now inquiring about this angle). i mean in general, do you think anyone is stupid enough to voluntarily join the IDF (or the US military) for this reason, or are you just trolling? i can see misguidedly joining teach for america just to try to get a boost from it, but teach for america doesn't put your life at risk on a daily basis. i can't even comprehend the notion of deciding to join the IDF because it'll help your resume.

And depending on one's job in the military, your life would hardly be in danger on a daily basis.

right but you must not know how the IDF works. you enter and take a big battery of tests, and then they decide where to put you, whether at a desk or in the field. it's unlike the american military, which has branches that you initially join. so the prospect of signing up is inherently risky, because (unless you're crippled or horrendously out of shape) you're opening yourself to the strong possibility of active combat service, regardless of what your preferences are. and IDF combat service is for obvious reasons one of the most dangerous in the world. basically it's just a god-awful proposition if you are doing it solely for an admissions boost and there are countless other better, safer options to take before it if that's what your motivation is. give me TFA or even american military service any single day of the week before IDF service if all i care about is getting into law school. sorry, but the whole sentiment seems really ludicrous to me

You're right I was not aware it worked like that.

mb88

Postby mb88 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:36 pm

YCrevolution wrote:That would go for adcomms with racist, ultra-religious, homophobic, etc. inclinations who act on those beliefs, too.

Of course it would.

That said, you're going to find a much higher percentage of anti-zionists in upper academia than you will racists, ultra-religious, or homophobic people.

EDIT: There is an exception, of course. I won't name the school...but I'm sure we all know it. :P
Last edited by mb88 on Wed May 05, 2010 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed May 05, 2010 1:36 pm

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed May 05, 2010 1:39 pm

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Wed May 05, 2010 1:43 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
mb88 wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:That would go for adcomms with racist, ultra-religious, homophobic, etc. inclinations who act on those beliefs, too.

Of course it would.

That said, you're going to find a much higher percentage of anti-zionists in upper academia than you will racists, ultra-religious, or homophobic people.

Citation needed.

There are a number of law schools with a pretty hardcore Christian bent, that don't even try to hide hating gays.

if it's relevant to the discussion here i'll be applying to the top schools and targeting HYS, specifically H i think. my #s are 3.79/179

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed May 05, 2010 1:46 pm

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Wed May 05, 2010 1:48 pm

x
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Wed May 05, 2010 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed May 05, 2010 1:50 pm

JTX

Postby JTX » Wed May 05, 2010 1:51 pm

tag

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed May 05, 2010 1:52 pm

Sangiovese

Postby Sangiovese » Wed May 05, 2010 1:53 pm

mb88 wrote:"He wouldn't be happy at such an institution..." is a weak argument.

If the OP were to be denied based on his IDF service, it would almost assuredly be due to one or two addcomms nuking his application. Not because the institution itself is anti-Israeli. I'm sure that the OP wouldn't mind attending a school just because it had one or two anti-zionists on staff. In fact, I'm fairly sure that most schools have at least a couple anti-zionists. It's just a matter of if those particular people will read his application, and if they feel strongly enough about it to penalize him.

You are, of course, correct. The criterion used to select any one particular candidate may or may not reflect the attitude/principles of the institution... depending on the professionalism of those doing the review. Ideally, an institution would be careful enough in selecting the people who will choose their incoming students to ensure that those students are selected on criterion that the school would feel are appropriate if exposed to public scrutiny... but I'm old enough to recognize how far we are from an ideal world.

My intended point was that there will be other institutions who recognize the positive aspects of the decision and will give his application the appropriate bump. My opinion is that there will be far more who view it as a positive than a negative.

mb88

Postby mb88 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:54 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
mb88 wrote:

Of course it would.

Citation needed.

There are a number of law schools with a pretty hardcore Christian bent, that don't even try to hide hating gays.

I'm looking for a citation, but it's difficult to find something on topic in the sea of "protocols of the elders of zion" nonsense.

All I can say in the meantime is that those (protocols people) are not the ones I'm referring to. There are very, very few of those running about. There are many people, however, that for lack of a better description, take issue with "omg the Israelis are locking brown people up in ghettos".

I'm sure that you would at least agree that there is a strong leftward correlation with those who view Israel as an "occupying invader". I'm sure you would also agree that there is a very strong leftward slant with most of upper academia.

JTX

Postby JTX » Wed May 05, 2010 1:55 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
jtxcounitah wrote:tag

You can also use the "Subscribe topic" or "Bookmark topic" links at the top of the thread

helpful. thanks :D

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed May 05, 2010 2:09 pm

MTal

Postby MTal » Wed May 05, 2010 2:47 pm

Heh. Eheheheheh. EHEHEHEEEHEHEH. hahahahahaha. aaaaaHAHAHAHAA!!!

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Thu May 06, 2010 12:04 am

MTal wrote:Heh. Eheheheheh. EHEHEHEEEHEHEH. hahahahahaha. aaaaaHAHAHAHAA!!!

excuse me?

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Thu May 06, 2010 12:06 am

random question for the mods: why are my posts in this thread locked for editing?

Llewellyn

Postby Llewellyn » Thu May 06, 2010 12:12 am

I heard you get huge bonus soft points if you've been a member of Al Qaeda

nawktasy

Postby nawktasy » Thu May 06, 2010 3:29 am

mhernton wrote:People don't seem to really understand how the soft thing seems to work. It isn't really a check mark on a list of things that a person has on their resume and they get special consideration. To use it as a soft your experience has to have an impact on your perspective of the world. Being in the Israeli Military is a significant soft because you will be living in Israel for at least two years and in a military that is pound for pound the best in the world. Israel is a nation in a constant state of war, and under threat. IF anything it will help you. You must convey how this experience affects you in order for it to be a soft.

This all the way, bold emphasis added by me. OP asked if this is something s/he could count on as a game-changer. The short answer is, IMO, a qualified no, at least not at HYS. That is to say, putting all politics aside, and even assuming you can convey the meaningfulness of this experience through your app, I still feel like you can't count on it in the same way you could a Rhodes/Marshall/NYT bestselling book, just because in and of itself it is not an academic or professional "achievement." However, provided that you are at least able to convey this experience well through your PS, etc. I would be surprised if you could not at least get into H. (This is also assuming you address any non-#s or resume-related factors, if any, that need improvement from your original application.) Given how this cycle went with people at your numbers, I wouldn't say you can count on it - but it can certainly help. All that said, good luck, be safe, and may you contribute to some peace and stability in the region (i.e. go for the ultimate soft: a Nobel Peace Prize).

Drummingreg

Postby Drummingreg » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:21 am

Bump for my own purposes. I will also be joining the Israeli Army before law school. I wanted to know if this would count as solid WE for a school like NW?

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:32 pm

כל הכבוד! בהצלחה

Drummingreg

Postby Drummingreg » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:08 am

Lmao Zedong wrote:כל הכבוד! בהצלחה

Thanks man

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:14 am