foreign military service as a soft?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
forty-two

Re: foreign military service as a soft?

Postby forty-two » Wed May 05, 2010 1:00 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
LawandOrder wrote:
Lmao Zedong wrote:i also am not sure that i see how this makes a difference, but i'm not an israeli citizen. i'm an american volunteering for service.

also think the claim that US military service is "universally regarded as honorable" in the US is highly questionable, but that's probably a can of worms not worth opening

You're a US citizen volunteering for the IDF over the US military? That'll raise some eyebrows.

I suppose Israel is an exception, but doesn't serving in a foreign military force when you're not a dual-citizen possibly put your US citizenship at risk (so says the warning in my passport)?

I don't think it would put US citizenship at risk...lot of people join in order gain dual citizenship.

mb88

Postby mb88 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:02 pm

Lmao Zedong wrote:also think the claim that US military service is "universally regarded as honorable" in the US is highly questionable, but that's probably a can of worms not worth opening

I don't disagree that there are some in the U.S. who view U.S. military service as a negative (notice how in my post I said "almost universally"). However, the percentage of people who view U.S. service as negative is almost a non-issue in comparison to the percentage who view Israeli service negatively (which, truthfully, is still a small number, but large enough to be a concern).

To compound the issue further, a that percentage of anti-Israeli folks is more and more concentrated the higher you get in the academic ring. Since you plan to apply to law school, this may be an issue for you. It's also entirely possible that none of your addcomms will care. Thus why I said a crapshoot.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Wed May 05, 2010 1:02 pm

yes, jewish. i'm a zionist type who believes the burden to defend israel is a jewish burden and not just an israeli one, blah blah blah

LawandOrder

Postby LawandOrder » Wed May 05, 2010 1:04 pm

Sounds like you should join IDF because you believe in it, not because of the affect it will have on your law school application.

mb88

Postby mb88 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:06 pm

SlipperyPete wrote:
It will only raise eyebrows among ignorant people who don't know how the IDF works. The people who will have a problem with it are probably roughly the same set of people who would have a problem with American military service.

Zedong, are you Jewish?

Be careful.

You can call that set of people ignorant all you want, but you can't deny that you might be at their mercy in the application process.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Wed May 05, 2010 1:10 pm

LawandOrder wrote:Sounds like you should join IDF because you believe in it, not because of the affect it will have on your law school application.

honestly? do you really think anyone would do this? not even talking about my own case, which is obvious (because i've already made the final decision and am only now inquiring about this angle). i mean in general, do you think anyone is stupid enough to voluntarily join the IDF (or the US military) for this reason, or are you just trolling? i can see misguidedly joining teach for america just to try to get a boost from it, but teach for america doesn't put your life at risk on a daily basis. i can't even comprehend the notion of deciding to join the IDF because it'll help your resume.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Wed May 05, 2010 1:11 pm

LawandOrder wrote:Whether positive or negative depends on who is reading your app. I don't view it particularly positively as you're serving the military of a nation not your own. I assume you are Jewish and therefore may connect culturally with Israel more than the US and so the notion of your own nation is somewhat subjective in that sense.

Admissions committee members are generally very professional and don't let their personal biases get in the way of decisions (For example, Toby Stock at Harvard let countless leftists into the school despite being a committed right-winger).

Admissions committee members will be more interested in creating a diverse class (within a range of LSAT/GPA numbers) than they will be in perpetuating their political agenda. With that in mind, the upside of working for the IDF is far greater than any potential downside.

Edited: And honestly, would you really want to go to a school that was so closed minded that they would deny you a spot just because of your background?
Last edited by notanumber on Wed May 05, 2010 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:12 pm

After they lost to Hezbollah in Lebanon, I should think not.

Armor without ground troops for support, have their Generals even read a book about WWII?
Last edited by 09042014 on Wed May 05, 2010 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SlipperyPete

Postby SlipperyPete » Wed May 05, 2010 1:14 pm

Last edited by SlipperyPete on Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawandOrder

Postby LawandOrder » Wed May 05, 2010 1:16 pm

Lmao Zedong wrote:
LawandOrder wrote:Sounds like you should join IDF because you believe in it, not because of the affect it will have on your law school application.

honestly? do you really think anyone would do this? not even talking about my own case, which is obvious (because i've already made the final decision and am only now inquiring about this angle). i mean in general, do you think anyone is stupid enough to voluntarily join the IDF (or the US military) for this reason, or are you just trolling? i can see misguidedly joining teach for america just to try to get a boost from it, but teach for america doesn't put your life at risk on a daily basis. i can't even comprehend the notion of deciding to join the IDF because it'll help your resume.

I don't know, people do a lot of crazy shit to get into great schools. And depending on one's job in the military, your life would hardly be in danger on a daily basis.

I think that as I get older, my biggest regret in life will be never having joined. :cry:

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed May 05, 2010 1:16 pm

Desert Fox wrote:After they lost to Hezbollah in Lebanon, I should think not.

Armor without ground troops for support, have their Generals even read a book about WWII?

they probably know a thing or two about ww2

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Wed May 05, 2010 1:17 pm

SlipperyPete wrote:For example, I'm assuming OP is taking advantage of the Mahal program.

:D

probably, although 'round these parts we like to call it maccchhhhhhal

LawandOrder

Postby LawandOrder » Wed May 05, 2010 1:17 pm

lol jewish joke

Sangiovese

Postby Sangiovese » Wed May 05, 2010 1:18 pm

mb88 wrote:
SlipperyPete wrote:
It will only raise eyebrows among ignorant people who don't know how the IDF works. The people who will have a problem with it are probably roughly the same set of people who would have a problem with American military service.

Zedong, are you Jewish?

Be careful.

You can call that set of people ignorant all you want, but you can't deny that you might be at their mercy in the application process.

I think that if you believe in a cause strongly enough to endure the hardships and risk of military service to support it then you would probably not be happy at an institution that would disqualify you from admission based on your support of that cause.

I think the OP is to be commended for "putting his money where his mouth is" and doing something (something hard) for a cause that he believes in. I think that his willingness to take action to support his beliefs reflects well on him. I also believe that adding the maturity/experience gained by serving in the IDF for a couple years to this demonstrated willingness to take action for a cause will make his stand out above other candidates when he applies for school after completing the service.

If an adcom wants to hold this against him, then I wouldn't worry about it. He wouldn't be happy at that institution anyway... and there are plenty of others who will recognize the value of his service to the Israeli military and to his ideals.

mb88

Postby mb88 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:18 pm

:shock:

This is going to be fun to watch! :D

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Wed May 05, 2010 1:22 pm

LawandOrder wrote:
Lmao Zedong wrote:

And depending on one's job in the military, your life would hardly be in danger on a daily basis.

right but you must not know how the IDF works. you enter and take a big battery of tests, and then they decide where to put you, whether at a desk or in the field. it's unlike the american military, which has branches that you initially join. so the prospect of signing up is inherently risky, because (unless you're crippled or horrendously out of shape) you're opening yourself to the strong possibility of active combat service, regardless of what your preferences are. and IDF combat service is for obvious reasons one of the most dangerous in the world. basically it's just a god-awful proposition if you are doing it solely for an admissions boost and there are countless other better, safer options to take before it if that's what your motivation is. give me TFA or even american military service any single day of the week before IDF service if all i care about is getting into law school. sorry, but the whole sentiment seems really ludicrous to me
Last edited by Lmao Zedong on Wed May 05, 2010 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mb88

Postby mb88 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:23 pm

Sangiovese wrote:
mb88 wrote:
SlipperyPete wrote:

Zedong, are you Jewish?

Be careful.

I think that if you believe in a cause strongly enough to endure the hardships and risk of military service to support it then you would probably not be happy at an institution that would disqualify you from admission based on your support of that cause.

I think the OP is to be commended for "putting his money where his mouth is" and doing something (something hard) for a cause that he believes in. I think that his willingness to take action to support his beliefs reflects well on him. I also believe that adding the maturity/experience gained by serving in the IDF for a couple years to this demonstrated willingness to take action for a cause will make his stand out above other candidates when he applies for school after completing the service.

If an adcom wants to hold this against him, then I wouldn't worry about it. He wouldn't be happy at that institution anyway... and there are plenty of others who will recognize the value of his service to the Israeli military and to his ideals.

"He wouldn't be happy at such an institution..." is a weak argument.

If the OP were to be denied based on his IDF service, it would almost assuredly be due to one or two addcomms nuking his application. Not because the institution itself is anti-Israeli. I'm sure that the OP wouldn't mind attending a school just because it had one or two anti-zionists on staff. In fact, I'm fairly sure that most schools have at least a couple anti-zionists. It's just a matter of if those particular people will read his application, and if they feel strongly enough about it to penalize him.

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Wed May 05, 2010 1:26 pm

mb88 wrote:

:shock:

This is going to be fun to watch! :D

LOL

and i am something of a pro-israeli neocon troll btw. but this should indeed be hilarious

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Wed May 05, 2010 1:27 pm

if you're looking for a show from me, you shan't get one, i'm not really interested in defending israel over an internet board. i'd rather do it with my own two hands, which conveniently enough i get to start doing this fall

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Wed May 05, 2010 1:29 pm

Lmao Zedong wrote:if you're looking for a show from me, you shan't get one, i'm not really interested in defending israel over an internet board. i'd rather do it with my own two hands, which conveniently enough i get to start doing this fall

this is unacceptable bro. fucking 1967 his ass bro, your honor depends on it imo.
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Wed May 05, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mb88

Postby mb88 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:29 pm

Lmao Zedong wrote:if you're looking for a show from me, you shan't get one, i'm not really interested in defending israel over an internet board. i'd rather do it with my own two hands, which conveniently enough i get to start doing this fall

Just don't go around wearing one of these:
--ImageRemoved--

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed May 05, 2010 1:30 pm

^
APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
and i am something of a pro-israeli neocon troll btw. but this should indeed be hilarious

almost there... just a lil bit more trolling

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed May 05, 2010 1:31 pm

Get em for old glory

--ImageRemoved--

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed May 05, 2010 1:31 pm

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed May 05, 2010 1:31 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”