UC Irvine School of Law's 2nd class statistics is out

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SandyC877

Re: UC Irvine School of Law's 2nd class statistics is out

Postby SandyC877 » Mon May 17, 2010 2:30 pm

Last edited by SandyC877 on Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Mon May 17, 2010 5:20 pm

The rankings that USNews publish for management schools are just as important as those for law schools. Of course, most "business schools" are not really management schools anymore.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon May 17, 2010 5:25 pm

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon May 17, 2010 5:26 pm

That's a tiny hammer.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon May 17, 2010 5:27 pm

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Mon May 17, 2010 5:44 pm

I assume all discussion/criticism of UCI is now banned?

Awesome!

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Mon May 17, 2010 6:27 pm

Well, he/she did call someone an idiot.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Mon May 17, 2010 7:49 pm

Yeah, I think (and obviously I can't speak for YC) that the takeaway here is that discussion is OK, but calling other people names and insulting them is bad. Deep, right?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon May 17, 2010 8:11 pm

psyers

Postby psyers » Tue May 18, 2010 1:51 pm

I've been trolling here for a while now and I really don't understand where all the anti UCI animus is coming from. And I'm not mistaking disbelief or criticism for animus. It's not what is being said but the way it's being said that I find suspect. Why are some of you such haters in this case? Why are you here so often, sustaining it, seemingly bathing in bile?

As for the fact that law school rarely prepares students for legal practice, that is what UCI is attempting to change. That is what they want to change and are attempting to reform with their emphasis on practical and experiential learning. I can't wait to arrive there come August and be a part of that experiment. That positive energy and the actual people whom I will share it with is why I chose UCI over quite a few T1 schools in the Northeast, Midwest, and CA with comparable packages.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue May 18, 2010 1:58 pm

psyers wrote:I've been trolling here for a while now and I really don't understand where all the anti UCI animus is coming from. And I'm not mistaking disbelief or criticism for animus. It's not what is being said but the way it's being said that I find suspect. Why are some of you such haters in this case? Why are you here so often, sustaining it, seemingly bathing in bile?

As for the fact that law school rarely prepares students for legal practice, that is what UCI is attempting to change. That is what they want to change and are attempting to reform with their emphasis on practical and experiential learning. I can't wait to arrive there come August and be a part of that experiment. That positive energy and the actual people whom I will share it with is why I chose UCI over quite a few T1 schools in the Northeast, Midwest, and CA with comparable packages.

In forum parlance, you mean lurking, not trolling.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Tue May 18, 2010 2:00 pm

psyers wrote:I've been trolling here for a while now and I really don't understand where all the anti UCI animus is coming from. And I'm not mistaking disbelief or criticism for animus. It's not what is being said but the way it's being said that I find suspect. Why are some of you such haters in this case? Why are you here so often, sustaining it, seemingly bathing in bile?

I think you choose to see only what you want to see. The debate on if the school was even necessary AND if what they are attempting with their "practical and experiential learning" is even that novel of an idea or practice, is certainly one worth debating. ESPECIALLY ITE.

You're happy with your decision and that's great! Kudos to you. Just don't wade in here and expect that everyone loves the same flavor of Kool-Aid as you.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue May 18, 2010 2:06 pm

Plenty of schools already do a good job preparing law students for practice. The trouble, for students like you, is that most of those schools are *below* you (i.e. lower ranked). The idea that UCI is somehow leading in this regard is ludicrous. Just take a look at the size and breadth of the externship programs at schools like Loyola and Northeastern (not to mention my own school).

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue May 18, 2010 2:11 pm

Danteshek wrote:Plenty of schools already do a good job preparing law students for practice. The trouble, for students like you, is that most of those schools are *below* you (i.e. lower ranked). The idea that UCI is somehow leading in this regard is ludicrous. Just take a look at the size and breadth of the externship programs at schools like Loyola and Northeastern (not to mention my own school).

If UCI places better than other schools in the area (other than USC/UCLA), how is it ludicrous to think it is ahead of them? Obviously there is no hard data to support whether or not this will be the case, but if it is then I don't see it as ludicrous to think that they are leading.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Tue May 18, 2010 2:25 pm

I know someone else asked this question, but it went unanswered. So I'll repeat:

I'm genuinely curious what makes the UC Irvine educational experience distinctive? I've seen it described as more practical in general terms. But, in specific terms, what is it exactly that Irvine is doing differently? Is it similar to what W&L is trying for it's 3L curriculum?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue May 18, 2010 3:09 pm

bk1 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Plenty of schools already do a good job preparing law students for practice. The trouble, for students like you, is that most of those schools are *below* you (i.e. lower ranked). The idea that UCI is somehow leading in this regard is ludicrous. Just take a look at the size and breadth of the externship programs at schools like Loyola and Northeastern (not to mention my own school).

If UCI places better than other schools in the area (other than USC/UCLA), how is it ludicrous to think it is ahead of them? Obviously there is no hard data to support whether or not this will be the case, but if it is then I don't see it as ludicrous to think that they are leading.

RC fail. My point was that UCI isn't a leader in terms of experiential education and preparing students for practice. Neither is USC or UCLA for that matter. Nice try though.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue May 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Danteshek wrote:
bk1 wrote:

RC fail. My point was that UCI isn't a leader in terms of experiential education and preparing students for practice. Neither is USC or UCLA for that matter. Nice try though.

Eh, your post doesn't accurately convey that by itself. After reading it as a response to the one above it makes it clearer.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Tue May 18, 2010 4:13 pm

bk1 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Eh, your post doesn't accurately convey that by itself. After reading it as a response to the one above it makes it clearer.

Though I agree with his point, why does every poster assume that misunderstandings are always due to reading comprehension failure, and never to writing clarity failure?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue May 18, 2010 9:37 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:Though I agree with his point, why does every poster assume that misunderstandings are always due to reading comprehension failure, and never to writing clarity failure?

Are you asking why people never like to place blame on themselves and instead always shift it to others? :?

ViP

Postby ViP » Tue May 18, 2010 9:43 pm

Typical UCI discussion on TLS:

UCI advocate: Wow! UCI sounds amazing! Anyone else attending or applying? Sounds like an amazing opportunity and an incredible package.

UCI hater: Shut-up. Why do all you UCI people think you and your school are gifts from God? You're not special. I'm getting a good education too, you know.

UCI advocate: But nobody ever said...

UCI hater: Shut-up.

psyers

Postby psyers » Wed May 19, 2010 12:23 am

Dante:

I don’t think any schools are beneath me and I’m not sure why you assume I do. Thank you, though, for giving a perfect example of the impetuous tone I wonder about in here.

Mr. Mat:t
By “choosing to see what I want to see” are you referring posts in here or to UCI? If the former, read dante above. If the latter, then I’m sure that is true to an extent. I ‘accentuate the positive; as much as I possibly can and I believe my peers at UCI will too. That there are only two debates going on in this thread is far from true—this is a shitstorm/maelstrom. And I in no way think that UCI is entirely novel or “leading,” but they certainly are in the pool of schools I applied to. Northwestern is leaning in this direction but seem to be taking baby steps and is a bit too competitive for my taste. There certainly are low ranked schools that emphasize experiential learning but I didn’t apply to them because their job placement is not at all encouraging.

Link:

There’s a 1L year-long course “legal professions” that focuses entirely on legal practices. Pro Bono work is required all three years—maybe I’m fudging this, it might simply be encouraged but I can’t remember which is the case. In any case every 1L student did pro bono work. Clinics are required. The entire faculty spent a year rethinking their classes before the school opened with an eye towards improving them in this regard. After meeting 10 or so of them I trust that they are sincere in this effort. Finally, many of the basic courses were reforged to emphasize the practical and experiential. For details feel free to visit UCI’s site.

VIP:

I see your point.

Ok all, two posts in here are enough for me. Please don’t spend too much time in here yourselves…there can’t be any good reason to.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”