UC Irvine School of Law's 2nd class statistics is out

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DarkwingDick

Re: UC Irvine School of Law's 2nd class statistics is out

Postby DarkwingDick » Wed May 05, 2010 7:16 pm

ruleser wrote:
NayBoer wrote:Also interesting to run Cities per County, to see the state of the legal market.

http://californiabar.globl.org/report.p ... 0&g=2&pp=5

http://californiabar.globl.org/report.p ... 0&g=2&pp=5

So LA has ~3.3 times as many attorneys, and roughly half of all attorneys in the county are listed as being in the city of LA. Orange is much more split, with the largest city (Irvine) less than a quarter of all Orange attorneys and so less dominant over other cities in the county.

A more thorough analysis would look at the types of law practiced there, to see how it compares to LA. One way to measure this quickly would be the size, number, and practice areas of large local firms and biglaw offices.

I hope you're not billing by the hour for this research.

Anyway, got run, but all I know is what OC partners/judges have said, and what I was told by profs at an LA school - that UCI is a 'prestigious' program, 'running w/the big dogs', 'is known about nationally' I was shocked to be told this, as it was that other school's ASD. They all were very impressed when you tell them you get in.

Maybe it's all a trick, but that's what I know...

You're having an argument with yourself. I'm not making any value judgments, just providing interesting data.

Just sayin.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Wed May 05, 2010 7:19 pm

DarkwingDick wrote:You're having an argument with yourself. I'm not making any value judgments, just providing interesting data.

Just sayin.

Wasn't arguing in that last one - I'm impressed by the research. I was just throwing out some info.

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Wed May 05, 2010 7:47 pm

DarkwingDick wrote:This website is amazing. If you click on the school, it gives you a list broken down by INDIVIDUAL, listing what kind of firm/organization they work for, where they did their ugrad and other fun stuff.

Isn't it, though? I came across it a couple months back after another TLSer posted (maybe nayboer?).

Meanwhile, this doesn't matter one bit to the "debate" about whether OC is "under-served" and nobody cares, but for some reason I've got to correct ...

Chicago only has [strike]2 mil[/strike] 2.9 million.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed May 05, 2010 7:51 pm

That globl.org site was actually built by a former TLS poster named "csc2law" ... somehow he set it up to mine data from the CA Bar Ass'n website. he had applied to a bunch of norcal schools but decided not to attend. if you ever see him around be sure to let him know what you think of his site.

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 05, 2010 8:38 pm

ozarkhack wrote:
DarkwingDick wrote:This website is amazing. If you click on the school, it gives you a list broken down by INDIVIDUAL, listing what kind of firm/organization they work for, where they did their ugrad and other fun stuff.

Isn't it, though? I came across it a couple months back after another TLSer posted (maybe nayboer?).

Meanwhile, this doesn't matter one bit to the "debate" about whether OC is "under-served" and nobody cares, but for some reason I've got to correct ...

Chicago only has [strike]2 mil[/strike] 2.9 million.

The Chicago metro area has just short of ten million people.

JoyceL1986

Postby JoyceL1986 » Wed May 05, 2010 9:53 pm

I suppose you're hot stuff if you go to Irvine and want to practice in that region as well.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Wed May 05, 2010 9:56 pm

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed May 05, 2010 10:01 pm

ruleser wrote:On a separate note, just saw this

http://www.professorbainbridge.com/professorbainbridgecom/2010/04/uc-irvine-law-school-hires-felon-lerach.html

Not very cool I don't think.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Holy Jebus!! Wow.... just wow!

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Wed May 05, 2010 10:05 pm

http://www.professorbainbridge.com/professorbainbridgecom/2010/04/uc-irvine-law-school-hires-felon-lerach.html

The UC System Motto: To you they may be felons and war criminals, but to us, they're felons and war criminals with tenure.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Wed May 05, 2010 10:09 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Holy Jebus!! Wow.... just wow!

Yes, and a big WTF... him teaching where regulation failed seems like Jeffrey Dahmer teaching why foodstamps aren't adequate. I seriously find this hard to understand.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed May 05, 2010 10:14 pm

ozarkhack wrote:

The UC System Motto: To you they may be felons and war criminals, but to us, they're felons and war criminals with tenure.

:lol:

Oh.... Great fucking tar!!! :D

RIP Mr. Newman.

twert

Postby twert » Wed May 05, 2010 10:15 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
ozarkhack wrote:

RIP Mr. Newman.

+ a million

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed May 05, 2010 10:25 pm

How does a felon on the faculty factor into USNWR academic reputation score? Sounds like peers may not be pleased :lol:

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Wed May 05, 2010 11:14 pm

Pure gold. Who better to teach future big lawyers than a felon?

I'm still curious about how many UCI students are actually from Orange County.

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu May 06, 2010 12:39 am

Interesting, UCI seems like a somewhat decent option. Anyone got any pics of the school?

pany1985

Postby pany1985 » Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 am

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by pany1985 on Thu May 06, 2010 1:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Thu May 06, 2010 12:56 am

I think those of us in the SoCal market afraid of one more competitive should all stand up and tell UCI:

"Hey, we don't come to your work and slap the dicks out of your mouths, do we?"

Edit: For Clarity.
Last edited by Fark-o-vision on Thu May 06, 2010 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Thu May 06, 2010 12:59 am

Bonus:

People who judge faculty strength based on blog=Fail. Big time. Like you read about.

JoyceL1986

Postby JoyceL1986 » Thu May 06, 2010 1:44 am

UCI numbers are impressive. Solid school.

end of discussion.

ViP

Postby ViP » Thu May 06, 2010 1:50 am

Danteshek wrote:Pure gold. Who better to teach future big lawyers than a felon?

I'm still curious about how many UCI students are actually from Orange County.

I don't know for sure, but from speaking to other prospective students and a few current students at ASD, I would venture to say not many students at all are from the OC originally. Decent number of LA and SD people, it seems.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu May 06, 2010 2:53 am

Which means they ain't sticking around after they graduate. Which vitiates the argument that OC needs a T1 school.

The local students, the ones who actually want to practice in OC, are not getting in.

pany1985

Postby pany1985 » Thu May 06, 2010 3:30 am

Danteshek wrote:Which means they ain't sticking around after they graduate. Which vitiates the argument that OC needs a T1 school.

The local students, the ones who actually want to practice in OC, are not getting in.

I know at least 5 or 6 in the inaugural class are native OC-ers. It could be higher; I don't know for sure.

More importantly, and more to the point, plenty of people who aren't originally from OC like it here. Perhaps you've noticed that many (most, perhaps) Californians aren't native to the state but moved here for various reasons (wanted to be an actress, liked the weather, heard CA was more fun than their midwestern homeland, whatever etc etc etc.). I don't think it's at all accurate to say that people who aren't from Orange County won't stay in Orange County post-grad.

Stanford and Berkeley and UCLA and USC all draw in plenty of students from outside the state. Still, most of them end up practicing in CA. It actually creates problems for those schools where they have to scream "It's just self-selection! We promise we can place students anywhere in the country!" If a quality law school is in a quality location, a lot of smart people will come to the area for school and decide to stay.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:17 am

Mr. Matlock wrote:
ozarkhack wrote:

RIP Mr. Newman.

Favorite movie by my favorite actor. :-(

ViP

Postby ViP » Thu May 06, 2010 11:23 am

pany1985 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Which means they ain't sticking around after they graduate. Which vitiates the argument that OC needs a T1 school.

I know at least 5 or 6 in the inaugural class are native OC-ers. It could be higher; I don't know for sure.

More importantly, and more to the point, plenty of people who aren't originally from OC like it here. Perhaps you've noticed that many (most, perhaps) Californians aren't native to the state but moved here for various reasons (wanted to be an actress, liked the weather, heard CA was more fun than their midwestern homeland, whatever etc etc etc.). I don't think it's at all accurate to say that people who aren't from Orange County won't stay in Orange County post-grad.

Stanford and Berkeley and UCLA and USC all draw in plenty of students from outside the state. Still, most of them end up practicing in CA. It actually creates problems for those schools where they have to scream "It's just self-selection! We promise we can place students anywhere in the country!" If a quality law school is in a quality location, a lot of smart people will come to the area for school and decide to stay.

Exactly.

Plus, I don't think all of UCI's grads need to work in OC for the program to benefit the region. The loads of pro-bono work that UCI expects (and so far receives) from its students ain't too shabby. The pro-bono program is very, very serious, and as everyone has noted already, the atmosphere at the law school very much fosters a sense of duty to the community.

Also, students have already begun to create UCI Law student organizations (such as the Orange County Human Rights Association (OCHRA), the Children’s Advocacy Group, the Criminal Law Society, the Environmental Law Society, and others), all of which actively serve the local community.

I'm not saying these things are totally unprecedented, but it's hard to argue that they don't serve the community. I don't think anyone would argue that there are too many Children's Advocacy Groups or Human Rights Associations forming in certain regions.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Thu May 06, 2010 11:42 am

pany1985 wrote:

True dat. I can't tell you how many people I know out here who never intended to stay/just came for a couple months/a purpose. It's pretty hard to leave once you see how easy living is - people know about the weather, but they don't get the relative inexpensiveness/poshness/etc of living. I've lived in NY/Chicago, etc - CA you don't worry about hot water, roaches, those Chi rats - you can get your own spacious apartment, all new amenities, pool/hot tub, good location, for $1200 - get a roommate, and $800. This is even before you talk about how beautiful beaches/etc. are OC beaches/cities are truly unique - Laguna/Newport. I would bet many UCIers, especially if local jobs are avail, would find it hard to pass up living large in Laguna to go back to Boston/NY/etc Name a city, and I have a friend/acquaint from there who now lives here even though they never really thought to...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”