UC Irvine School of Law's 2nd class statistics is out Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SaintClarence27

Silver

Re: UC Irvine School of Law's 2nd class statistics is out

Post by SaintClarence27 » Thu May 06, 2010 12:06 pm

ruleser wrote:
pany1985 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Which means they ain't sticking around after they graduate. Which vitiates the argument that OC needs a T1 school.

The local students, the ones who actually want to practice in OC, are not getting in.
I know at least 5 or 6 in the inaugural class are native OC-ers. It could be higher; I don't know for sure.

More importantly, and more to the point, plenty of people who aren't originally from OC like it here. Perhaps you've noticed that many (most, perhaps) Californians aren't native to the state but moved here for various reasons (wanted to be an actress, liked the weather, heard CA was more fun than their midwestern homeland, whatever etc etc etc.). I don't think it's at all accurate to say that people who aren't from Orange County won't stay in Orange County post-grad.

Stanford and Berkeley and UCLA and USC all draw in plenty of students from outside the state. Still, most of them end up practicing in CA. It actually creates problems for those schools where they have to scream "It's just self-selection! We promise we can place students anywhere in the country!" If a quality law school is in a quality location, a lot of smart people will come to the area for school and decide to stay.
True dat. I can't tell you how many people I know out here who never intended to stay/just came for a couple months/a purpose. It's pretty hard to leave once you see how easy living is - people know about the weather, but they don't get the relative inexpensiveness/poshness/etc of living. I've lived in NY/Chicago, etc - CA you don't worry about hot water, roaches, those Chi rats - you can get your own spacious apartment, all new amenities, pool/hot tub, good location, for $1200 - get a roommate, and $800. This is even before you talk about how beautiful beaches/etc. are OC beaches/cities are truly unique - Laguna/Newport. I would bet many UCIers, especially if local jobs are avail, would find it hard to pass up living large in Laguna to go back to Boston/NY/etc Name a city, and I have a friend/acquaint from there who now lives here even though they never really thought to...
I would SO hate it there. That seriously sounds terrible. I'm used to WAY cheaper, and hate the beach and warm weather. I guess it takes all kinds!

JoyceL1986

New

Post by JoyceL1986 » Thu May 06, 2010 3:10 pm

Danteshek wrote:Which means they ain't sticking around after they graduate. Which vitiates the argument that OC needs a T1 school.

The local students, the ones who actually want to practice in OC, are not getting in.
WTF? If you had such foresight and mind-reading capabilities, why aren't you at a T14?
Last edited by JoyceL1986 on Thu May 06, 2010 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu May 06, 2010 3:12 pm

JoyceL1986

New

Post by JoyceL1986 » Thu May 06, 2010 3:16 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
JoyceL1986 wrote:

WTF? If you had such foresight and mind-reading capabilities, why are you at Southwestern?
Let's try to avoid personal attacks.
My apologies. Will do.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Thu May 06, 2010 3:44 pm

Joyce: don't go to UCI if you're not thick skinned enough to take a little criticism. There are plenty of arguments against having a law school at UCI. You're going to have to deal with skeptics one way or another.

Also, the majority of lawyers in LA are not graduates of top schools. Chances are pretty good you'll be working for one. Those lawyers also tend to have grown up in the area, which means they tend to be well networked. You won't go very far with such a disparaging attitude.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Thu May 06, 2010 3:50 pm

YCrevolution wrote: Let's try to avoid personal attacks.
Danteshek wrote:Joyce: don't go to UCI if you're not thick skinned enough to take a little criticism. There are plenty of arguments against having a law school at UCI. You're going to have to deal with skeptics one way or another.

Also, the majority of lawyers in LA are not graduates of top schools. Chances are pretty good you'll be working for one. Those lawyers also tend to have grown up in the area, which means they tend to be well networked. You won't go very far with such a disparaging attitude.

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:41 pm

I think we need to build some sunny SoCal togetherness here. I'm willing to meet up in Long Beach and hug this out.

arhmcpo

Bronze

Post by arhmcpo » Thu May 06, 2010 9:44 pm

The LBC is my HOOD - best idea in this thread thus far ! 2nd street FTW

DoctorNick189

Bronze

Post by DoctorNick189 » Thu May 06, 2010 10:14 pm

Last edited by DoctorNick189 on Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ogurty

Bronze

Post by ogurty » Thu May 06, 2010 11:09 pm

is anyone else starting to feel just a tad bit worried about choosing UCLA at sticker over Irvine at half price?

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Fri May 07, 2010 12:14 am

ogurty wrote:is anyone else starting to feel just a tad bit worried about choosing UCLA at sticker over Irvine at half price?
Has anyone on here done that?

ViP

Bronze

Post by ViP » Fri May 07, 2010 1:10 am

ruleser wrote:
ogurty wrote:is anyone else starting to feel just a tad bit worried about choosing UCLA at sticker over Irvine at half price?
Has anyone on here done that?
On here? As in on TLS? Doubtful. This is Top Law Schools, after all :roll: .

In all honesty, though- I met quite a few students at ASD that were comfortably turning down UCLA for Irvine, largely due to cost.

Many students I met were choosing between Irvine and a T20 school with $$$.

eth3n

Bronze

Re: UC Irvine Law- Class of 2013 numbers revealed...

Post by eth3n » Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

pany1985 wrote:This drastic drop in quality is sure to doom UCI. Dean Chemerinsky should just call up the UC Regents and have them shut down the school.
I will admit that I expected a noticeable drop immediately (or at least relative to the increase in the number of students/decrease in $$$). The fact that slightly more people with similar stats from last year were willing to attend UC Irvine for less money suggests that there is at least some limited appeal to attend the school. However DB's point is valid that it looks as though this year was more splitter-friendly.

At the same time, the class size remains incredibly small (comparatively), and the money, while half of what was offered previously, is still substantial, and is still being offered to a similarly small number of individuals.

I assumed that UCI would expand at a much faster rate. I don't know what will happen when they have 200+ students with scholarships comparable to other UC schools, but I still feel this will have an effect on their numbers.

Ultimately the discussion about Irvine is not whether it is a smart choice for its first few years of students (considering the small class size it is manageable for the faculty to substantially go to bat for their students as we have seen for 1L summer employment), but rather for the students that attend once Irvine has a normal class size and normal money. While the first few years may be safe, the question is whether or not it is a safe investment for the 200+ students in Irvine 201X to go there rather than a comparable t20 school (as this is their goal). It has been said before, only time will tell. These stats, while interesting, are not in any way dispositive.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Fri May 07, 2010 4:36 am

Danteshek wrote:Joyce: don't go to UCI if you're not thick skinned enough to take a little criticism. There are plenty of arguments against having a law school at UCI. You're going to have to deal with skeptics one way or another.

Wishful thinking. Loser. Like the big time.

JoyceL1986

New

Post by JoyceL1986 » Fri May 07, 2010 4:25 pm

I have a practical solution to this problem. It would make more sense to close down Tier 3 and 4 schools in and around Los Angeles (Southwestern, Chapman, Cal Western etc), and maintain top performing schools. That way, not only are we keeping up quality legal education and keeping jobs opened for more qualified students, we are rightfully dissuading these hopeless TTTT graduates from massive debts and from the illusion that their life will improve drastically as lawyers.

Would you agree Danteshek?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Fri May 07, 2010 4:34 pm

Sure, close down all the schools with legitimate public service missions, and keep open big law feeder schools. That sounds like a great idea. That will have an extremely positive effect on the ethics of he profession.

We should also get rid of every school with an evening program. Who cares about people who work, single mothers with young children, and minorities!
Last edited by Danteshek on Fri May 07, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Fri May 07, 2010 4:36 pm

Fark-o-vision wrote:

Spoken like a true UCI acolyte.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri May 07, 2010 4:50 pm

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Fri May 07, 2010 4:53 pm

Yeah... you don't necessarily have to assume that everyone who posts something disagreeing with you is a brainwashed UCI zombie. Some people don't have a dog in the fight, but do have an opinion (or just like to call other people losers).

Also, I'm done with finals and the sun is shining. So that's nice. I think I'll go to the beach.
Last edited by pany1985 on Fri May 07, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Fri May 07, 2010 4:59 pm

Danteshek wrote:Sure, close down all the schools with legitimate public service missions, and keep open big law feeder schools. That sounds like a great idea.
Wait, the role of TTTs is furthering "legitimate public service"? Those noble graduates forswear wealth and glory to go to schools like Chapman in order to further the public interest? How American of them!

ViP

Bronze

Post by ViP » Fri May 07, 2010 5:35 pm

Danteshek wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:

Joyce has been out of line with personal attacks here. But to make generalizations of UCI based on one or two comments is unfair.

One person doesn't represent an entire program. It would be wrong of me to assume that all Southwestern students are as arrogant and condescending as you, Danteshek, because I personally know a few Southwestern students and they're humble, kindhearted people.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JoyceL1986

New

Post by JoyceL1986 » Fri May 07, 2010 5:44 pm

Danteshek wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:

I can't speak for Fark-o-vision, but I actually didn't get into UCI. I just find it funny that someone from 2 tiers down is vehemently trying to tear down a great school based on biased assumptions.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Fri May 07, 2010 6:14 pm

JoyceL1986 wrote:I can't speak for Fark-o-vision, but I actually didn't get into UCI. I just find it funny that someone from 2 tiers down is vehemently trying to tear down a great school based on biased assumptions.
*Scrambles to find US News rankings. UCI.... UCI...... Hmmmmm??????*

:P

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri May 07, 2010 6:29 pm

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Fri May 07, 2010 6:31 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:Children, please behave.
Aw come on! I put a :P face on the bottom!!!!!!!!! It's me, Mr. Matlock! I'm too dumb to be taken seriously!!!!!!!!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”