LSAC GPA calculation

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
iheartkennypowers

LSAC GPA calculation

Postby iheartkennypowers » Wed May 05, 2010 12:18 am

I am posting this to make sure that I am calculating my GPA in a way that LSAC hopefully would.

so my undergrad institutions (a community college and a university) have a 9 point scale, on their transcripts there are letter grades A+ down, with each whole number representing a letter grade (A+ is 9, A is 8, A- is 7 and so on). the letter grades show up on the transcript along with the associated 9 point scale GPA.

so what i want to know is how to calculate a GPA in a manner consistent with LSAC. so what i do is use the same formula that my undergrad schools use in calculating their 9 point GPA, only i take each letter grade and substitute in LSAC's equivalent number (A+ at 4.33, A at 4, A- at 3.67 and so on)

so i basically take the letter grade on my transcripts from both schools, plug in LSAC's 4.33 scale score for each letter grade and run the numbers using the same formula (only now of course with LSAC's 4.33 system)

is this correct

also, i know that LSAC includes all grades from all schools. however, i did some classes to upgrade math and english at a community college prior to taking 10 college level courses at the same institution. so for example there are classes (with letter grades) that are like "Math 072" and "English 092" on my transcript from this school, does LSAC include these in my LSAC GPA?

mikehoe

Re: LSAC GPA calculation

Postby mikehoe » Wed May 05, 2010 12:25 am

I recently did my LSDAS GPA, and i found out that any classes taken after you receive your Bachelor's degree don't count. So for all those people expecting to go back to their junior college to get good grades, think again, because there's no advantage there.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed May 05, 2010 12:27 am

That's the correct method: A+ = 4.33, A = 4.00, etc. Also, LSAC will count those community college classes unless the transcript clearly indicates that they are remedial.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:28 am

Yes use the LSAC equivalent for your letter grades and if those fundamental classes provided you with credit they will count, if not they won't.

iheartkennypowers

Postby iheartkennypowers » Wed May 05, 2010 12:34 am

so i took the fundamental/upgrading courses at the community college as well as 10 college level courses at the same community college. i then transferred to my current university, having received only credit at my current university (where i plan on receiving my bachelor's from) for the 10 college level courses and not receiving any credit for the fundamental/upgrading courses.

so correct me if i am wrong, but only the 10 college courses that transferred to my current university with credits at my current university will be counted by LSAC for my LSAC GPA?

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:39 am

That sounds correct but it could depend on how the developmental courses are indicated on your transcript.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed May 05, 2010 12:44 am

iheartkennypowers wrote:so i took the fundamental/upgrading courses at the community college as well as 10 college level courses at the same community college. i then transferred to my current university, having received only credit at my current university (where i plan on receiving my bachelor's from) for the 10 college level courses and not receiving any credit for the fundamental/upgrading courses.

so correct me if i am wrong, but only the 10 college courses that transferred to my current university with credits at my current university will be counted by LSAC for my LSAC GPA?

No, LSAC counts all courses and grades that appear on the transcript, with some exceptions such as a P (pass/fail) or remedial courses. They don't care how your undergrad counts them for transfer credit.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”