Will not recieve minor - revoking admittance?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
depressingfailure

Will not recieve minor - revoking admittance?

Postby depressingfailure » Tue May 04, 2010 3:14 pm

Hi,

On my law school resume, I stated that I had a certain minor in addition to my major. I was working on finishing this minor, and completely expected to recieve it upon graduation. After a rough bout of senioritus, compounded by personal issues midway through the semester, I am now in a position where I will not receive this minor. (I am getting a D in a course that required a C for the minor)

I have been admitted to a law school and they have my deposit. When I disclose the fact that I will not be receiving the minor that was listed on my resume, will the law school revoke admittance? Is this a true deal-breaker?

Does anyone out there have personal experience with this?

Renzo

Re: Will not recieve minor - revoking admittance?

Postby Renzo » Tue May 04, 2010 3:18 pm

You'll be fine. Just don't update LSDAS after the bad grades, and no one will care.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue May 04, 2010 3:19 pm

Losing the minor won't hurt you at all. I decided to drop my minor and just stick with my two majors.

Now if your GPA is going to take a serious hit, it could be a factor, but I highly, highly doubt it.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue May 04, 2010 3:22 pm

Renzo wrote:You'll be fine. Just don't update LSDAS after the bad grades, and no one will care.

^^ important

depressingfailure

Postby depressingfailure » Tue May 04, 2010 3:27 pm

How detailed should I be in my disclosure?

Should I tell them simply that I will not be receiving the minor, or should I tell them it is because of not meeting the minor requirements due to a bad grade? (I'm quite sure they will ask why if I do not state a reason)

Also, one of my LOR's was in the department of my intended minor. I have no idea what he said about my academic abilities in that department - should this worry me even more?

Edit: Updating LSDAS requires sending in another xscript to LSAC, correct? This is in no way related to sending the school my final xscript before fall?

gilagarta

Postby gilagarta » Tue May 04, 2010 3:29 pm

romothesavior wrote:Losing the minor won't hurt you at all. I decided to drop my minor and just stick with my two majors.

Now if your GPA is going to take a serious hit, it could be a factor, but I highly, highly doubt it.

Can they really rescind an offer of admission based on your final GPA? If you're a current student, aren't they admitting you based on your GPA at that time?

Sorry if that's a dumb question. I'm out of school already but I'm just curious.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue May 04, 2010 3:30 pm

depressingfailure wrote:How detailed should I be in my disclosure?

Should I tell them simply that I will not be receiving the minor, or should I tell them it is because of not meeting the minor requirements due to a bad grade? (I'm quite sure they will ask why if I do not state a reason)

Also, one of my LOR's was in the department of my intended minor. I have no idea what he said about my academic abilities in that department - should this worry me even more?

You don't need to do anything. You are in, and unless there was academic misconduct or you don't graduate at all, you'll be fine.

depressingfailure

Postby depressingfailure » Tue May 04, 2010 3:39 pm

Renzo wrote:You don't need to do anything. You are in, and unless there was academic misconduct or you don't graduate at all, you'll be fine.

Are you sure?

I thought I would certainly need to disclose this since the minor on my resume could have been considered a strong soft-factor in my admittance.

I am sorry if I am being annoying with my questions, but I am certainly fretting over this. I can just imagine a nightmare scenario where the law school, upon seeing my final xscript, calls me and asks why I listed a minor that I do not have. Can't they boot ppl with dishonest resumes?

Edit: I hate uncertainty regarding this stuff and makes me freak the f*ck out.
Last edited by depressingfailure on Tue May 04, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Tue May 04, 2010 3:42 pm

depressingfailure wrote:
Renzo wrote:You don't need to do anything. You are in, and unless there was academic misconduct or you don't graduate at all, you'll be fine.

Are you sure?

I thought I would certainly need to disclose this since the minor on my resume could have been considered a strong soft-factor in my admittance.
I am sorry if I am being annoying with my questions, but I am certainly fretting over this. I can just imagine a nightmare scenario where the law school, upon seeing my final xscript, calls me and asks why I listed a minor that I do not have. Can't they boot ppl with dishonest resumes?

Not unless this minor involved curing a disease or successfully running for U.S. Senate...

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue May 04, 2010 3:42 pm

depressingfailure wrote:

Are you sure?

No one in the admissions office is going to go, "ZOMG! Depressingfailure had a minor and now he doesn't!?!? Get that liar on the phone right now!" The decision to switch majors, drop a minor, etc. is often a result of personal choice. For example, I dropped my minor because I didn't want to add a 400 level course and thesis to my heavy writing load this semester (50+ page capstone paper and 25 page philosophy thesis). I'm a senior... I want to drink and eat pizza and sleep in late.

Your minor was not a strong soft factor. Don't worry about it.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue May 04, 2010 3:43 pm

depressingfailure wrote:

Are you sure?

I'm sure it's not the first time a student couldn't make the minor come together at the last minute, and obviously the school understatands that you are working towards any listed degrees/minors. It's not deceptive to claim to be working towards a minor that doesn't happen at the last minute, and if for some strange reason anyone did ever ask (they won't, but if) you have a perfectly reasonable, honest, and verifiable explanation.

depressingfailure

Postby depressingfailure » Tue May 04, 2010 3:44 pm

"Strong" was probably poor word-choice.

Guys - Thanks for the input, I truly appreciate it.
Last edited by depressingfailure on Tue May 04, 2010 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Tue May 04, 2010 3:44 pm

depressingfailure wrote:"Strong" was probably poor word-choice.

It really doesn't matter. Do not spend any time worrying about this.

depressingfailure

Postby depressingfailure » Tue May 04, 2010 3:49 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:It really doesn't matter. Do not spend any time worrying about this

Besides being depressed about failing a personal goal (not to mention causing myself to wonder if I am truly ready for lawschool), I will not fret over this any further.

You have successfully calmed my nerves.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”