Hm. Did I get screwed this cycle? What should I do?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Janus

Re: Hm. Did I get screwed this cycle? What should I do?

Postby Janus » Fri May 07, 2010 4:46 pm

It would be nice to see what he thinks at 30 - if it was really worth all the rush?

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Fri May 07, 2010 4:50 pm

Janus wrote:It would be nice to see what he thinks at 30 - if it was really worth all the rush?

One reason I graduated early is I felt college wasn't worth it. My education wasn't worth the money. And I went to a top public with cheap instate tuition. I couldn't imagine going to a private school.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri May 07, 2010 4:51 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:
Janus wrote:It would be nice to see what he thinks at 30 - if it was really worth all the rush?

One reason I graduated early is I felt college wasn't worth it. My education wasn't worth the money. And I went to a top public with cheap instate tuition. I couldn't imagine going to a private school.

FWIW, it is far cheaper for many students to attend private colleges than it is to attend public schools.

LateNight

Postby LateNight » Fri May 07, 2010 8:59 pm

romothesavior wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:

FWIW, it is far cheaper for many students to attend private colleges than it is to attend public schools.

Uh.... yeah.... if they get full rides?

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 07, 2010 9:06 pm

LateNight wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:

Uh.... yeah.... if they get full rides?

Also some of the very elite, very well endowed schools, have financial aid so well covered that its true. But this is a very recent thing.

MrSoOoFLy

Postby MrSoOoFLy » Fri May 07, 2010 9:08 pm

I graduated with 15gs total debt from private... and had a intellectually stimulating course load..

LateNight

Postby LateNight » Fri May 07, 2010 10:21 pm

Well I am graduating with less than 2,000 dollars in debt after 5 years of college, I almost have it paid off already and I haven't even graduated yet. Public School + Scholarship = awesomeness.

Books probably have cost more than my tuition.

pilawpcv

Postby pilawpcv » Sat May 08, 2010 4:42 am

Private school ended up being much cheaper for me, and I received no merit aid. Private schools tend to have more need-based aid, in my experience.

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Sat May 08, 2010 5:38 pm

Yeah when I applied to privates..I got no need based merit aid.

jetlagz28

Postby jetlagz28 » Sat May 08, 2010 5:45 pm

You are too young. That's the factor going against you for sure.

Janus

Postby Janus » Tue May 11, 2010 4:04 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:

I felt like that too (sort of -- I went to a well respected private school, but didn't think I needed to waste another year just so I could be a double major and triple minor graduate). That's why I graduated early. Then, I took time off, got a job, bought a house and had a baby. Now, I'm finally hungry for law school. No matter how mature you think you are at 19, (we all thought we were, right?) your perspective will be different in 5 years. I would hate for you to look back at 30 and think you spent the best part of your 20's in school and then the second half of your 20s working like a dog. You might find yourself in a bit of an existential crisis at 30.

I second what everyone else has said about traveling. I also second not listening to your parents (don't ever do that!/ jk - but not really). I also second getting a job and suffering through that misery, living on your own and paying your own bills. That's the only way you'll get a clear understanding of reality and responsibilities - intangibles that can only serve you well.

Good luck. I wish you well. However, I hope you do decide to take some time off before you saddle yourself into debt for the next 10-30 years. Now I must get back to work!
Last edited by Janus on Wed May 12, 2010 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Tue May 11, 2010 8:18 pm

Janus wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:

I felt like that too (sort of -- I went to a well respected private school, but didn't think I needed to waste another year just so I could be a double major and triple minor graduate). That's why I graduated early. Then, I took time off, got a job, bought a house and had a baby. Now, I'm finally hungry for law school. No matter how mature you think you are at 19, (we all thought we were, right?) your prospective will be different in 5 years. I would hate for you to look back at 30 and think you spent the best part of your 20's in school and then the second half of your 20s working like a dog. You might find yourself in a bit of an existential crisis at 30.

I second what everyone else has said about traveling. I also second not listening to your parents (don't ever do that!/ jk - but not really). I also second getting a job and suffering through that misery, living on your own and paying your own bills. That's the only way you'll get a clear understanding of reality and responsibilities - intangibles that can only serve you well.

Good luck. I wish you well. However, I hope you do decide to take some time off before you saddle yourself into debt for the next 10-30 years. Now I must get back to work!

The bold above is stupidly true. I can't stress enough that what you think you know before graduating college is shamefully worthless when the rent comes due.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed May 12, 2010 5:29 am

Mr. Pablo wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:
Mr. Pablo wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:Thanks for all the advice.

Rejected at teach for america, parents won't let me do military or peace corps.

I think I'll just find some random job and chill at home and try and get that petition for the 4th LSAT (October test date).

This is your problem. Go to law school when it isn't.

[strike]I'm Asian[/strike] I'm a kid. I do what my parents tell me. -_-

You need to grow out of this before you go to law school.

edit: I'm not trying to be mean, really I'm not. You have to control your own life.

I have a friend who turned down an offer to Columbia grad school. Reason? His parents told him to turn it down just because he'd be far from home and they wouldn't move closer to him. He's 24.

I almost called him a fucking idiot. Chelsea Clinton's starting grad school there too. Great chance for a date and a one-night stand! A perfect opportunity lost! :lol:

superflush

Postby superflush » Wed May 12, 2010 5:59 am

PunjabiLower wrote:3.84 LSDAS
cancel, 157, and 162
Top public and applied early January

ucla,usc, virginia, hastings, berkeley, cornell, fordham PT, Georgetown PT= rejections
loyola, uc davis, boston U= waitlists
miami=acceptance

Yes, you got screwed. But basically because you were way to bullish on the schools you applied to. They are almost all reaches.
... I would just apply first thing next year and be sure to apply to a bunch of schools that you can get into (unless you happen to get off that BU waitlist). You can't realistically expect to get into any T14s with those numbers, especially applying a tad late.

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Sat May 15, 2010 8:58 pm

Yeah once again...I wasn't expecting to get into any T-14's...i was just surprised by loyola, davis, and hastings. Really didn't expect that. If I take the October exam and apply by november 1st...that would be fine right?

Postby 09042014 » Sat May 15, 2010 11:01 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:Yeah once again...I wasn't expecting to get into any T-14's...i was just surprised by loyola, davis, and hastings. Really didn't expect that. If I take the October exam and apply by november 1st...that would be fine right?

Yea Nov 1 is early.

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Sat May 15, 2010 11:07 pm

I take it that you were probably warned by a bunch of TLSers that you're too young, and that you're rushing through the process. Perhaps it would have been better for you to take that advice, and I'm sure that this is a pretty humbling experience for you.

Wait two years and take the test again. Despite the fact that you could obtain a sponsorship from some law school in order to take the test a fourth time in a span of two years, don't do that. Wait two years and try to follow what the maturing effects of age tell you.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sun May 16, 2010 12:18 am

PLATONiC wrote:I take it that you were probably warned by a bunch of TLSers that you're too young, and that you're rushing through the process. Perhaps it would have been better for you to take that advice, and I'm sure that this is a pretty humbling experience for you.

Wait two years and take the test again. Despite the fact that you could obtain a sponsorship from some law school in order to take the test a fourth time in a span of two years, don't do that. Wait two years and try to follow what the maturing effects of age tell you.

I would take this advice to heart.

But if you don't, you're risking a lot. You will only be a year older, and you will still look fairly young to most schools. Obviously a much better LSAT would be helpful, but it's your age that most likely held you back. If you do re-apply, you will still have to address those concerns. The easiest way to do that would be to simply be a bit older.

Postby 09042014 » Sun May 16, 2010 12:44 am

It's not even the law schools you have to worry about, it is the first. He'd be OCIing at 20 years old. I wouldn't hire a 20 year old.

tebow4president

Postby tebow4president » Sun May 16, 2010 2:38 am

Desert Fox wrote:It's not even the law schools you have to worry about, it is the first. He'd be OCIing at 20 years old. I wouldn't hire a 20 year old.

lol viewtopic.php?f=5&t=88037

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sun May 16, 2010 3:28 am

Damn, I missed that thread. Going by some of the comments in that thread, I'm a bit too old to be starting law school. :oops:

I'll be entering law school at the ripe old age of 26. The OP and I have similar hard numbers, but had very different results at some of the same schools, and I applied pretty late.

In any case, if I had gone to law school straight from undergrad, I would have been a part of the class of 2010. Oi.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun May 16, 2010 3:37 am

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”