Hm. Did I get screwed this cycle? What should I do?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
futurelawyer413

Re: Hm. Did I get screwed this cycle? What should I do?

Postby futurelawyer413 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:39 am

General Tso wrote:I don't fault you for being aggressive, but it looks like you were TOO aggressive. I disagree with those saying your LSAT is no good. 162 isn't good enough for Loyola?...please

It's pretty clear that schools are probably put off by your young age, and there's something to that. Someone posted some kind of medical journal article on TLS a while back that basically said older students do better in LS b/c their brains are more developed for that kind of material.

If you are sure you want to go ahead with LS right now, you should probably write some kind of LOCI's talking about how you know what the legal field is like and how you know that's what you want in your career. Otherwise you should probably take a year off and get some work or volunteer experience. You have been a bit too aggressive with the Boalts, UCLAs etc. Unless you retake you are looking AT BEST at something like a BU or WUSTL. You need to apply to as many schools in the 20-50 range that interest you, and you may have to look outside CA.

Yes, I also agree. Have you also considered schools from 20-50, and maybe also think about some safeties as well? If I'm not mistaken, Loyola LA has a PT program, did you apply for that one or FT?

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Tue May 04, 2010 10:41 am

check out my cycle, I am pretty young and applied pretty early to about half of my schools. I got good $$$ from Tulane and some other schools. I do not think age really effects apps to full-time programs, but when it comes to PT programs we younger-folk are just going to get killed. I got a lot of WLs b/c I have a compelling reason for wanting the PT program..if I didn't then I would be looking at a sea of red.

Also, just b/c you have taken the LSAT 3x doesn't mean you have to wait two years. Just ask a school if they would like to see a 4th LSAT score. Start in the TTT and work your way up asking schools if they will let you take it again. Eventually one will and then you have to pull out an amazing score. In the year in-between get a good internship/job or volunteer or save Africa or something to give you some softs to make you seem more legit.

ja57047

Postby ja57047 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:43 am

Join the peace corps, live life and try again in a few years. Your old man will be proud of you for doing something good before you sell you soul.

http://www.peacecorps.gov/

amputatedbrain

Postby amputatedbrain » Tue May 04, 2010 1:42 pm

I haven't read the whole thread, so maybe someone else mentioned this, but you can petition schools to take the LSAT a 4th time. But in your case, I definitely recommend Teach for America or military or something. You're ahead of the curve at 19, so take advantage of how fast you did undergrad and add to your resume and see the world a bit. If you apply when you're 21, you'll still be unusually young for law school.

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Tue May 04, 2010 4:09 pm

Thanks for all the advice.

Rejected at teach for america, parents won't let me do military or peace corps.

I think I'll just find some random job and chill at home and try and get that petition for the 4th LSAT (October test date).

Mr. Pablo

Postby Mr. Pablo » Tue May 04, 2010 4:24 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:Thanks for all the advice.

I think I'll just find some random job and chill at home and try and get that petition for the 4th LSAT (October test date).

This is your problem. Go to law school when it isn't.

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Tue May 04, 2010 4:27 pm

Mr. Pablo wrote:

I'm Asian. I do what my parents tell me. -_-

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue May 04, 2010 4:35 pm

What is your evaluation of Testmasters LSAT prep?
My impression is that Testmasters is best suited for a certain type of student & that student must be willing to work hard to achieve significant improvement.

SBimmer

Postby SBimmer » Tue May 04, 2010 4:43 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:
Mr. Pablo wrote:

I'm Asian. I do what my parents tell me. -_-

At some point you will HAVE to do what YOU want rather than what your parents want. This might be a good time to start.

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Tue May 04, 2010 4:48 pm

Probly because they know u steal peoples self tars

schnoodle

Postby schnoodle » Tue May 04, 2010 4:49 pm

i'm on board with the folks itt who have advocated that you do something outside of ls for a while. if i'm understanding your situation properly, it seems like your parents are pushing you to get through school as fast as possible. all due respect to your parents, they are doing you a serious disservice.

as others have said. slow down, friend. take some time to find out who you are.

Mr. Pablo

Postby Mr. Pablo » Tue May 04, 2010 5:35 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:
Mr. Pablo wrote:

[strike]I'm Asian[/strike] I'm a kid. I do what my parents tell me. -_-

You need to grow out of this before you go to law school.

edit: I'm not trying to be mean, really I'm not. You have to control your own life.

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Tue May 04, 2010 6:02 pm

Mr. Pablo wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:
Mr. Pablo wrote:

[strike]I'm Asian[/strike] I'm a kid. I do what my parents tell me. -_-

You need to grow out of this before you go to law school.

edit: I'm not trying to be mean, really I'm not. You have to control your own life.

I agree. But if I were to control my own life and disregard everything my parents told me...I would be a high school math/history teacher at a high school in Texas. Work an easy 9-5 and be happy. I cannot imagine working 70-80 hour weeks and make 130K+. I wouldn't even use that money because I'm so cheap. I value time over money. Yet, my parents said they want me to at least get a professional degree. I kinda agree with them. I didn't want an MD and I don't want an MA or PHD. If I wait 2 years, I need to get 167 for USC(it's kinda my threshold if I wait that long...as of right now at age 19...I'd be happy getting off the waitlist at BU or davis). If not, then I might look into the GMAT.

The real question is if I can raise my score 5 more points. I might have to try blueprint and see how that works out.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Tue May 04, 2010 6:28 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:I agree. But if I were to control my own life and disregard everything my parents told me...I would be a high school math/history teacher at a high school in Texas. Work an easy 9-5 and be happy. I cannot imagine working 70-80 hour weeks and make 130K+. I wouldn't even use that money because I'm so cheap. I value time over money. Yet, my parents said they want me to at least get a professional degree. I kinda agree with them. I didn't want an MD and I don't want an MA or PHD. If I wait 2 years, I need to get 167 for USC(it's kinda my threshold if I wait that long...as of right now at age 19...I'd be happy getting off the waitlist at BU or davis). If not, then I might look into the GMAT.

The real question is if I can raise my score 5 more points. I might have to try blueprint and see how that works out.

dude, go be a teacher if you want. you are an adult. just because your parents want you to be something doesn't mean you have to, this is the land of opportunity and you should do what you want with your life. maybe in two years you will find out that you hate dealing with little brats and would rather be LTL. law school will still be there in a few years.

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 04, 2010 6:30 pm

Everyone is being nice, I won't. You are a weak child. Grow some balls and do want you want.

Edit, get a real job, military and teach for america aren't worth it just for law school.

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Tue May 04, 2010 6:38 pm

Last edited by beesknees on Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Tue May 04, 2010 6:44 pm

beesknees wrote:Dude, this sounds like a bad idea in the making. You think its a good idea just to get a professional degree, don't want an MD, so a JD sounds good? You do realize this will cost a crap ton of money for what sounds like "a nice thing to have."

If you won't be happy working 60-70 hours for 135k you'll be miserable if you wind up working 60-70 hours for $50k! JDs do not just open up doors. They open up doors for you to practice law. If you know what would make you happy and what you value, why not do that?

I understand what its like to have Asian parents (I have one). They want to brag about your degree to their friends and family. But this is your life. You might be stuck doing something you hate because you have to pay off debt. Worse, you might get stuck doing something you hate and still have no way to pay off the debt.

Take a year off, decide what's best for YOU. Also, retake the LSAT while you're laying around.

Yeah I actually want a JD though. I want to do prosecution or maybe public interest. So I'd work 9-5 and make 50k. That's fine with me. And I'll have no debt to pay off. My grandmother is hooking me up. And she said she'll only hook it up if I go to a T20 or Davis...nothing else.

Won't 4 LSATS look shady though? They will still take the highest right?

Say I go from 157, 162, 167+

Will they take the 167+ or average them all?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue May 04, 2010 6:48 pm

Wait, how exactly did you get screwed? You got rejected from a bunch of top law schools with a 162. Surprised?

And +1 to everyone saying to grow a pair and do your own thing. If you want to teach, teach. If you want to do Peace Corps, do Peace Corps.

It sounds like you want other things more than law school. There are way too many lawyers as it is. Don't get a law degree if you would rather do something else.

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 04, 2010 6:54 pm

romothesavior wrote:Wait, how exactly did you get screwed? You got rejected from a bunch of top law schools with a 162. Surprised?

And +1 to everyone saying to grow a pair and do your own thing. If you want to teach, teach. If you want to do Peace Corps, do Peace Corps.

It sounds like you want other things more than law school. There are way too many lawyers as it is. Don't get a law degree if you would rather do something else.

+1

And as always, law school will still be there in 5 years.

amputatedbrain

Postby amputatedbrain » Tue May 04, 2010 6:56 pm

At least intern at a law firm or a prosecutor's office or something like that first. Then see if it's the kind of work you want to spend 3 years/200K getting into just to please your parents. FWIW, at least teachers are employed still in most places. The bragging rights for a JD are pretty low when you can't get a job with it.

Why won't your parents let you do peace corps anyway? I'm willing to cut OP a little slack because he's 19 and his parents probably paid for undergrad so he probably still has to show a little deference . . . but someday your parents will be dead, and you'll have wondered what it would have been like to have done the peace corps (or whatever it is you want to do)

Mr. Pablo

Postby Mr. Pablo » Tue May 04, 2010 7:07 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:I agree. But if I were to control my own life and disregard everything my parents told me...I would be a high school math/history teacher at a high school in Texas. Work an easy 9-5 and be happy. I cannot imagine working 70-80 hour weeks and make 130K+. I wouldn't even use that money because I'm so cheap. I value time over money. Yet, my parents said they want me to at least get a professional degree. I kinda agree with them. I didn't want an MD and I don't want an MA or PHD. If I wait 2 years, I need to get 167 for USC(it's kinda my threshold if I wait that long...as of right now at age 19...I'd be happy getting off the waitlist at BU or davis). If not, then I might look into the GMAT.

There are many school districts that require masters degrees to even get an interview, shit there are HS teachers on Long Island, NY who have PhDs, and many fine private high-schools have these kinds of requirements. You can have an advanced degree and teach at the same time.
That being said, sure do everything your parents tell you to do. They will dictate how you live, who you live with, who you marry, what friends you can have. You should actually just get a separate phone just for them, and you can leave it on so that they know what you are saying and correct you if necessary. Or you could get a fucking grip and lead the life you want to lead.

juevonate

Postby juevonate » Tue May 04, 2010 8:09 pm

Dude.

You said you would prefer teaching to being a lawyer.

If you want to be a teacher, you really should get a master's degree.

Master's programs are easier to get into, easier while you're there, and take less time than a JD.

Why it's good for law school:

Big improvement over your current softs.
Gives your brain more time to develop for the LSAT.
Gives you more time to study for the LSAT.
Makes your parents super-proud. My son got a JD AND a MASTERS!

Why it's good if you don't go to law school:

You're parents are hopefully finally satisfied.
You're more employable as a teacher.
You make more money as a teacher.
You get to study something you enjoy.
You can go get away from your controlling parents and make good money in an exotic country.
You have more time to think about what you want to do with your life.

You're 19. You shouldn't be making any decisions that will determine the next 30 years of your life, especially with your parents on your back. Give yourself more time to figure out what you really love---try things in real life. Get your masters....hopefully you'll be more independent from your parents then, and know what you want to do for real.

mellymel

Postby mellymel » Tue May 04, 2010 8:20 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:
beesknees wrote:Dude, this sounds like a bad idea in the making. You think its a good idea just to get a professional degree, don't want an MD, so a JD sounds good? You do realize this will cost a crap ton of money for what sounds like "a nice thing to have."

If you won't be happy working 60-70 hours for 135k you'll be miserable if you wind up working 60-70 hours for $50k! JDs do not just open up doors. They open up doors for you to practice law. If you know what would make you happy and what you value, why not do that?

I understand what its like to have Asian parents (I have one). They want to brag about your degree to their friends and family. But this is your life. You might be stuck doing something you hate because you have to pay off debt. Worse, you might get stuck doing something you hate and still have no way to pay off the debt.

Take a year off, decide what's best for YOU. Also, retake the LSAT while you're laying around.

Yeah I actually want a JD though. I want to do prosecution or maybe public interest. So I'd work 9-5 and make 50k. That's fine with me. And I'll have no debt to pay off. My grandmother is hooking me up. And she said she'll only hook it up if I go to a T20 or Davis...nothing else.

Won't 4 LSATS look shady though? They will still take the highest right?

Say I go from 157, 162, 167+

Will they take the 167+ or average them all?

Sounds like you need to do more research. A prosecutor that works 9-5? I doubt you could find a good public interest lawyer that only works those hours either.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue May 04, 2010 8:22 pm

The late applications were a killer. I suggest this--take a couple years off to acquire some meaningful work experience, wait for the economy to improve, and retake the LSAT in June 2011. If you are in a rush to continue your education, then apply very early next cycle in late September or early October.

futurelawyer413

Postby futurelawyer413 » Tue May 04, 2010 8:44 pm

don't know if you've answered this already, did you apply to Loyola LA PT or FT, and did you apply/consider any safeties from 20-50?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”