Hm. Did I get screwed this cycle? What should I do? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dk8

Bronze

Re: Hm. Did I get screwed this cycle? What should I do?

Post by dk8 » Tue May 04, 2010 8:46 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:
beesknees wrote:Dude, this sounds like a bad idea in the making. You think its a good idea just to get a professional degree, don't want an MD, so a JD sounds good? You do realize this will cost a crap ton of money for what sounds like "a nice thing to have."

If you won't be happy working 60-70 hours for 135k you'll be miserable if you wind up working 60-70 hours for $50k! JDs do not just open up doors. They open up doors for you to practice law. If you know what would make you happy and what you value, why not do that?

I understand what its like to have Asian parents (I have one). They want to brag about your degree to their friends and family. But this is your life. You might be stuck doing something you hate because you have to pay off debt. Worse, you might get stuck doing something you hate and still have no way to pay off the debt.

Take a year off, decide what's best for YOU. Also, retake the LSAT while you're laying around.
Yeah I actually want a JD though. I want to do prosecution or maybe public interest. So I'd work 9-5 and make 50k. That's fine with me. And I'll have no debt to pay off. My grandmother is hooking me up. And she said she'll only hook it up if I go to a T20 or Davis...nothing else.

Won't 4 LSATS look shady though? They will still take the highest right?

Say I go from 157, 162, 167+

Will they take the 167+ or average them all?
If you take off a few years, retake and do much better, you can play all the old scores off on being young and immature.

PunjabiLower

Bronze

Post by PunjabiLower » Wed May 05, 2010 2:37 am

futurelawyer413 wrote:don't know if you've answered this already, did you apply to Loyola LA PT or FT, and did you apply/consider any safeties from 20-50?
I applied to the FT and PT program. I put FT as my top choice.

Yeah I took the LSAT when I was 18. I'm not sure how much I can improve. I think I did almost all the questions. I guess my family isn't so keen on taking years off. My uncle is surprised because he said taking years off from undergrad back in his day was unheard of. He said how can anybody have the luxury of merely taking "years" off between education.

I would be chill with taking 1 year off, but two may be pushing it just to wait for a test date. Hopefully I get this LSAT waiver. Should I contact schools about it now or mid summer?

I guess this whole process just threw me off, especially with LSP and the whole "its A NUMBERS GAME" saying. Looking back, it isn't totally a numbers game and a few small "factors" here and there can put you out. People on TLS told me no work experience and a young age shouldn't keep me out from safety/target schools. I guess some of them were incorrect.

LateNight

Bronze

Post by LateNight » Wed May 05, 2010 2:56 am

Not all lawyers work 60 hours a week. Just the ones that want to make 100k+.

IRS affords a 40 hour style of living. They make 75k. Perfect for me.

Free time to fish >> $$$$

PunjabiLower

Bronze

Post by PunjabiLower » Wed May 05, 2010 3:22 am

LateNight wrote:Not all lawyers work 60 hours a week. Just the ones that want to make 100k+.

I can't imagine working more than 50 hour weeks. Time>money for me too. I don't want to be miserable. I think there are too many money-whores out there. Thanks! I'll look into that.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed May 05, 2010 3:51 am

PunjabiLower wrote: I guess this whole process just threw me off, especially with LSP and the whole "its A NUMBERS GAME" saying. Looking back, it isn't totally a numbers game and a few small "factors" here and there can put you out. People on TLS told me no work experience and a young age shouldn't keep me out from safety/target schools. I guess some of them were incorrect.
Dude, come on.

Georgetown, Cornell, UVA, USC, UCLA, BU, and Berkeley weren't gonna touch you with a ten foot pole with a 162, especially if that's the best you could muster after three tries. Fordham PT, Hastings, and Davis are mild surprises, but still, not to the point where you should have considered them safeties. Again, you took the LSAT three times and got a 162, which is below their LSAT medians. You didn't get "screwed." Loyola was probably a shocker, so yeah, I guess you got "screwed" at that safety school. But seriously, you overreached with most of your schools and I'm not all that surprised by how your cycle turned out.

Also, if schools decided to be wary of you because of your age, I can hardly say I blame them. You are a 19 year old kid who is allowing his parents to run his life. Sorry if that is harsh, but its true. You need to do what is best for you, period.

Also, your uncle is flat out wrong for making it sound like taking a few years off is a "luxury" where people are just jerking around for a few years. Most people who took time off did something worthwhile, like work and save money, start a family, work for Americorps or Peace Corps, etc. Taking time of is often TCR.

Sounds like it definitely is TCR for you. Work, consider if you really want to go to LS, and come back to it when the time is right. And come back to it with a higher LSAT too, if you can.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LateNight

Bronze

Post by LateNight » Wed May 05, 2010 4:53 am

PunjabiLower wrote:
LateNight wrote:Not all lawyers work 60 hours a week. Just the ones that want to make 100k+.

I can't imagine working more than 50 hour weeks. Time>money for me too. I don't want to be miserable. I think there are too many money-whores out there. Thanks! I'll look into that.

I am not saying that the IRS isn't highly competitive, because it is. Almost all good government jobs are competitive..

echoi

Bronze

Post by echoi » Wed May 05, 2010 6:16 am

You're 19 years old...get a job, learn more about yourself, live life, travel, study for the LSAT, retake, and then reapply when you're 22-23 years old.

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Wed May 05, 2010 6:29 am

echoi wrote:You're 19 years old...get a job, learn more about yourself, live life, travel, study for the LSAT, retake, and then reapply when you're 22-23 years old.
This is the credited response.

As far as I can tell, most of the people who get on the internet to cry about being in law school/being a lawyer/law ITE are people who haven't been outside of the educational system for fifteen years and have little to no understanding of the actual mechanics of being an adult.

Take some time off. I strongly suggest teaching english in another country or the peace corps; in general, you should look for something that involves travel and exploration and expanding your horizons, rather than moving from one institution to another. You're going to want some happy memories when you're bogged down studying for your contracts final.

The average age for students in law school is twenty-four. I'm absolutely certain that your low age is a detrimental factor in this process.

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Wed May 05, 2010 7:14 pm

In case nobody already put this in here, a quote directly from this site re how UIUC does their admissions:

Sometimes, being cut of a different cloth can work against you. If you are under 21, Pless “really needs something in the file to show maturity” or responsibility, like a leadership activity, excellent and thoughtful writing, or a clear reason for your decision to apply to law school.

And I'm sure that applies to most of the other schools in that range as well. I guess I'm just affirming what many are saying about the age thing hurting your application. It probably really did.

But in any case, try explaining that to your parents. Maybe they will understand (who knows?).

Also, please please PLEASE don't go to law school if you don't actually want to.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Wed May 05, 2010 7:22 pm

Even if they want you to go to LS just tell them you are not ready and that you want to do something else. I bet they will come around. You have to take a stand to them eventually and cut the umbilical cord.

PunjabiLower

Bronze

Post by PunjabiLower » Thu May 06, 2010 1:21 am

No see I want to go to law school. I just am trying my best not to enter after I am 22 years old. It's just a personal preference.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu May 06, 2010 2:24 am

You Gotta Have Faith wrote:In case nobody already put this in here, a quote directly from this site re how UIUC does their admissions:

Sometimes, being cut of a different cloth can work against you. If you are under 21, Pless “really needs something in the file to show maturity” or responsibility, like a leadership activity, excellent and thoughtful writing, or a clear reason for your decision to apply to law school.

And I'm sure that applies to most of the other schools in that range as well. I guess I'm just affirming what many are saying about the age thing hurting your application. It probably really did.

But in any case, try explaining that to your parents. Maybe they will understand (who knows?).

Also, please please PLEASE don't go to law school if you don't actually want to.
Great find, +1. And no offense OP, but you are evidence for why this policy is a sound one.

PunjabiLower

Bronze

Post by PunjabiLower » Thu May 06, 2010 2:28 am

romothesavior wrote:
You Gotta Have Faith wrote:In case nobody already put this in here, a quote directly from this site re how UIUC does their admissions:

Great find, +1. And no offense OP, but you are evidence for why this policy is a sound one.
Nah, I had my essay and resume looked over by a couple of people. I had some good leadership activities and loads of volunteer work. Although I didn't have a full time job, I don't think there was any huge red flags on my application that could be a sign of immaturity. I think you are falsely assuming based on my posts on TLS.

I even went to several law school fairs and asked numerous questions about every single one of my circumstances. They said my age shouldn't keep me out. I'm prone to think it was applying late and the recent surge of applications at schools.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu May 06, 2010 2:31 am

PunjabiLower wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Nah, I had my essay and resume looked over by a couple of people. I had some good leadership activities and loads of volunteer work. Although I didn't have a full time job, I don't think there was any huge red flags on my application that could be a sign of immaturity. I think you are falsely assuming based on my posts on TLS.
I'm not saying your app wasn't solid, because it may have been. It just sounds like it takes a lot for a 19 year old to overcome this policy. Try again in a few years.

And I'll say it again: You did NOT get screwed. Your LSAT is below median at most of your rejections.

xyzzzzzzzz

Bronze

Post by xyzzzzzzzz » Thu May 06, 2010 2:39 am

Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PunjabiLower

Bronze

Post by PunjabiLower » Thu May 06, 2010 2:44 am

romothesavior wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I'm not saying your app wasn't solid, because it may have been. It just sounds like it takes a lot for a 19 year old to overcome this policy. Try again in a few years.

And I'll say it again: You did NOT get screwed. Your LSAT is below median at most of your rejections.
Yeah that makes sense. I guess I was mainly surprised at loyola, hastings and davis. I was expected an acceptance at loyola and davis and at least a WL at hastings. My expectations have been formed by looking at LSN, horumd, LSP, and other applicants I know.

Didn't a guy named Soft Boiled Life have similar numbers to me? Apparently he got into davis/hastings.

I guess I am just kind of irritated because my gpa will drop after I sent my last year grades in and there is no guarantee my LSAT will raise to counter that GPA drop. I guess I wanted my third time taking the test to be the last time.

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Thu May 06, 2010 3:05 pm

PunjabiLower wrote: I even went to several law school fairs and asked numerous questions about every single one of my circumstances. They said my age shouldn't keep me out. I'm prone to think it was applying late and the recent surge of applications at schools.
Just FYI, you won't always get the most honest answer at those law school fairs. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's seen someone ask the Harvard booth something along the lines of "Will I have a chance at admission with my 156?" Only to hear "Of course, we have no minimum cut offs, and view every application holistically!"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu May 06, 2010 3:13 pm

amputatedbrain wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote: I even went to several law school fairs and asked numerous questions about every single one of my circumstances. They said my age shouldn't keep me out. I'm prone to think it was applying late and the recent surge of applications at schools.
Just FYI, you won't always get the most honest answer at those law school fairs. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's seen someone ask the Harvard booth something along the lines of "Will I have a chance at admission with my 156?" Only to hear "Of course, we have no minimum cut offs, and view every application holistically!"
+1. I mean, they're not exactly going to admit something like "oh, we don't take applicants under 20."

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Thu May 06, 2010 3:20 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:

I even went to several law school fairs and asked numerous questions about every single one of my circumstances. They said my age shouldn't keep me out. I'm prone to think it was applying late and the recent surge of applications at schools.
I'm sorry, Punjabi, but the more you write, the more immature you sound. I can't help but believe that this came through, in your applications. If this is something you really want, then you should be prepared to wait for it and work for it. And again, best of luck to you.

SBimmer

New

Post by SBimmer » Thu May 06, 2010 3:25 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:

I'm sorry, Punjabi, but the more you write, the more immature you sound. I can't help but believe that this came through, in your applications. If this is something you really want, then you should be prepared to wait for it and work for it. And again, best of luck to you.
+1

februaryftw

Bronze

Post by februaryftw » Thu May 06, 2010 4:31 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

The huge red flag that you are immature is the fact that YOU ARE 19. I'm prone to thinking you are underestimating how important this is because YOU ARE 19. You've basically made a thread demonstrating all the problems a school might have in admitting a 19 year old (and I assure you they aren't going to say it, for reasons of "ageism" or having some kid flip out at them), and how you, yourself, are a pretty typical 19 year old (who happened to finish his first college degree early).

If you want law school, get a job and wait 2 years. You'll be taken a lot more seriously by professors and employers when you look and sound like a young adult. But you know why you won't take my advice and the numerous advice by others on this board? Because YOU ARE 19 and won't realize how immature you were at 19 until you aren't 19 anymore.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PunjabiLower

Bronze

Post by PunjabiLower » Thu May 06, 2010 4:45 pm

gymboree wrote:take the LSAT again. All you need to take it again before the 3-times-is-up deadline is a sponsor (in the form of an LSAC approved school). Really, any school would give this to you. Right now send a note to Loyola (or, one at a time, go down your list and send it to all of your waitlist schools) and say this:

Dear Admissions,

I am sincere in my interest in Loyola Law School and I'm currently on your waitlist. I'm considering waiting until next year and re-applying. To do this, I would like to improve my LSAT score but need a sponsor for an additional take. If Loyola admissions would consider giving their approval, I would appreciate your efforts on my behalf.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I hope to be a member of the Class of 2014.

Regards,
4th time Taker
You Sir...are a lifesaver! I sent that message out to Loyola and they granted me an LSAT waiver. I think I will take it again in October! Thanks!

I just think I am mature for a 19 year old. The very fact that I am applying at the same time as 22-23 year olds makes me feel good. Granted it's not a race, but I'm prone to think I'm on top of my shit and am very self-motivated. I just personally couldn't imagine applying to law school past 22. I am not as mature as a 21 year old I suppose. I will wait a year if Davis doesn' take me off their WL. Thanks everyone for your input.
Last edited by PunjabiLower on Thu May 06, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SBimmer

New

Post by SBimmer » Thu May 06, 2010 4:53 pm

februaryftw wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

The huge red flag that you are immature is the fact that YOU ARE 19. I'm prone to thinking you are underestimating how important this is because YOU ARE 19. You've basically made a thread demonstrating all the problems a school might have in admitting a 19 year old (and I assure you they aren't going to say it, for reasons of "ageism" or having some kid flip out at them), and how you, yourself, are a pretty typical 19 year old (who happened to finish his first college degree early).

If you want law school, get a job and wait 2 years. You'll be taken a lot more seriously by professors and employers when you look and sound like a young adult. But you know why you won't take my advice and the numerous advice by others on this board? Because YOU ARE 19 and won't realize how immature you were at 19 until you aren't 19 anymore.
Did we forget 19 year old kids know everything and listen to no one (sometimes other than tyrannical parents)?

februaryftw

Bronze

Post by februaryftw » Thu May 06, 2010 5:03 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrERtikdPus

Anyways, I retract my previous advice. I think you should go to school this year and then transfer. I suggest telling your parents that this is an option so they disallow you from taking an extra year "off".

:D

LateNight

Bronze

Post by LateNight » Thu May 06, 2010 9:15 pm

I was more mature at 19 than I am now. I had a professional job. Now I just go to school and write essays.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”