Yeshiva University....Unequivocally anti-gay...Cardozo....??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
a.shoshana
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:43 am

Re: Yeshiva University....Unequivocally anti-gay...Cardozo....??

Postby a.shoshana » Wed May 05, 2010 8:09 pm

romothesavior wrote:
a.shoshana wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
I think you mean condemn, chief.

And fighting hate and practicing the law are not mutually exclusive, and I don't just mean PI work. I can work big law or corporate law and still oppose religious bigots on my own time.


touche on condone/condemn. was thinking too quickly.

but i didn't say anything about what you could/couldn't do on your own time... we were discussing whether law school would give us fits or not. right?


The difference is that I'm not drawing absurd analogies between pizza eaters and gays.


absurd from your point of view.
not so absurd when you're an orthodox jew and they're both just things prohibited by jewish law.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Yeshiva University....Unequivocally anti-gay...Cardozo....??

Postby romothesavior » Wed May 05, 2010 8:11 pm

a.shoshana wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
a.shoshana wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
I think you mean condemn, chief.

And fighting hate and practicing the law are not mutually exclusive, and I don't just mean PI work. I can work big law or corporate law and still oppose religious bigots on my own time.


touche on condone/condemn. was thinking too quickly.

but i didn't say anything about what you could/couldn't do on your own time... we were discussing whether law school would give us fits or not. right?


The difference is that I'm not drawing absurd analogies between pizza eaters and gays.


absurd from your point of view.
not so absurd when you're an orthodox jew and they're both just things prohibited by jewish law.


Well then I retain my right to call your religion ridiculous, bigoted, and backwards. (edit: Just to clarify, I'm not making claims about the Jewish faith as a whole, just the ultra-Orthodox segment)

I don't understand why people can't look at Yeshiva's policies and draw this conclusion. Its 2010.
Last edited by romothesavior on Wed May 05, 2010 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a.shoshana
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:43 am

Re: Yeshiva University....Unequivocally anti-gay...Cardozo....??

Postby a.shoshana » Wed May 05, 2010 8:13 pm

edit: never mind. you're arguing your right to feel that YU's statement was "bigoted" and i'm defending their right to feel that way. not even worth it.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Yeshiva University....Unequivocally anti-gay...Cardozo....??

Postby romothesavior » Wed May 05, 2010 8:18 pm

a.shoshana wrote:

Well then I retain my right to call your religion ridiculous, bigoted, and backwards.

I don't understand why people can't look at Yeshiva's policies and draw this conclusion. Its 2010.


Some people can. Some people can't. There are 6.5 billion people in the world and not all of them are going to agree with you.


And that's fine. But thank god not everyone adopts this "Hey, let's just live and let live" mentality that you are championing, or progress would be halted dead in its tracks.

Anyways, I've got a lot of homework so I really shouldn't be on here. Shalom, sir.

a.shoshana
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:43 am

Re: Yeshiva University....Unequivocally anti-gay...Cardozo....??

Postby a.shoshana » Wed May 05, 2010 8:19 pm

romothesavior wrote:
a.shoshana wrote:

Well then I retain my right to call your religion ridiculous, bigoted, and backwards.

I don't understand why people can't look at Yeshiva's policies and draw this conclusion. Its 2010.


Some people can. Some people can't. There are 6.5 billion people in the world and not all of them are going to agree with you.


And that's fine. But thank god not everyone adopts this "Hey, let's just live and let live" mentality that you are championing, or progress would be halted dead in its tracks.

Anyways, I've got a lot of homework so I really shouldn't be on here. Shalom, sir.


that's "ma'am" to you.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Yeshiva University....Unequivocally anti-gay...Cardozo....??

Postby romothesavior » Wed May 05, 2010 8:22 pm

a.shoshana wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
a.shoshana wrote:

Well then I retain my right to call your religion ridiculous, bigoted, and backwards.

I don't understand why people can't look at Yeshiva's policies and draw this conclusion. Its 2010.


Some people can. Some people can't. There are 6.5 billion people in the world and not all of them are going to agree with you.


And that's fine. But thank god not everyone adopts this "Hey, let's just live and let live" mentality that you are championing, or progress would be halted dead in its tracks.

Anyways, I've got a lot of homework so I really shouldn't be on here. Shalom, sir.


that's "ma'am" to you.


Oh, my apologies...

lawgod
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: Yeshiva University....Unequivocally anti-gay...Cardozo....??

Postby lawgod » Wed May 05, 2010 8:25 pm

there are many catholic schools. the catholic church also believes that homosexual intercourse is a sin. so why are we only picking on the jews?

Tautology
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:40 pm

Re: Yeshiva University....Unequivocally anti-gay...Cardozo....??

Postby Tautology » Wed May 05, 2010 8:29 pm

lawgod wrote:there are many catholic schools. the catholic church also believes that homosexual intercourse is a sin. so why are we only picking on the jews?


Because this thread is about FUCKING Yeshiva FUCKING University and its FUCKING President. Or do I, every time I want to criticize anyone for anything, then have to go on and list every single other person/entity in the fucking world that I would also criticize for the same reasons?

lawgod
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: Yeshiva University....Unequivocally anti-gay...Cardozo....??

Postby lawgod » Wed May 05, 2010 8:34 pm

Tautology wrote:
lawgod wrote:there are many catholic schools. the catholic church also believes that homosexual intercourse is a sin. so why are we only picking on the jews?


Because this thread is about FUCKING Yeshiva FUCKING University and its FUCKING President. Or do I, every time I want to criticize anyone for anything, then have to go on and list every single other person/entity in the fucking world that I would also criticize for the same reasons?


whoa!
but is there a thread about loyola? fordham? notre dame? was there ever? hmmm

Tautology
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:40 pm

Re: Yeshiva University....Unequivocally anti-gay...Cardozo....??

Postby Tautology » Wed May 05, 2010 8:38 pm

lawgod wrote:whoa!
but is there a thread about loyola? fordham? notre dame? was there ever? hmmm


Sorry, I may have reacted a bit strongly there. Those threads do not exist to my knowledge, probably because the presidents of those universities haven't recently issued a statement reminding its students of the bigoted beliefs of their affiliated religions. But feel free to start one up if you want.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], THELAWWIZARD, timmyd, Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests