Deferral ideas

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PoorOrpheus

Deferral ideas

Postby PoorOrpheus » Mon May 03, 2010 1:03 pm

Hey TLS. I've been accepted to law school, but I am flirting with the idea of taking a year off to reflect a little more on this decision and maybe explore a different industry. I was considering doing AmeriCorps but the stipends are much lower than I expected. I was hoping people here could share what they are doing/would do (please, no "backpack by day, drink at night" ideas). I am looking for established programs like AmeriCorps or CityYear. They do not necessarily have to be service-based. Thank you for your help!

Re: Deferral ideas

Postby 09042014 » Mon May 03, 2010 1:21 pm

PoorOrpheus wrote:Hey TLS. I've been accepted to law school, but I am flirting with the idea of taking a year off to reflect a little more on this decision and maybe explore a different industry. I was considering doing AmeriCorps but the stipends are much lower than I expected. I was hoping people here could share what they are doing/would do (please, no "backpack by day, drink at night" ideas). I am looking for established programs like AmeriCorps or CityYear. They do not necessarily have to be service-based. Thank you for your help!

Get a real job?

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Mon May 03, 2010 1:26 pm

--LinkRemoved--

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Mon May 03, 2010 1:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
PoorOrpheus wrote:Hey TLS. I've been accepted to law school, but I am flirting with the idea of taking a year off to reflect a little more on this decision and maybe explore a different industry. I was considering doing AmeriCorps but the stipends are much lower than I expected. I was hoping people here could share what they are doing/would do (please, no "backpack by day, drink at night" ideas). I am looking for established programs like AmeriCorps or CityYear. They do not necessarily have to be service-based. Thank you for your help!

Get a real job?

Yeah. Good luck with that.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon May 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Join the army.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Mon May 03, 2010 1:37 pm

http://www.BibleYear.com

What's the best way to use the resources on this Web site?

First, choose your favorite Bible translation, then choose the reading program you'd like to follow: beginning to end, chronological, historical, new then old, or old and new. Next, choose when you would like to start reading. Finally, make sure you can access your daily reading program quickly and easily. We recommend that you make your Bible reading schedule the home page of your browser. That way, when you open your browser, you'll immediately see what Bible passage you can read for that particular day. Otherwise, you can bookmark the page that contains your daily reading program.

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Mon May 03, 2010 1:55 pm

yabbadabbado

Postby yabbadabbado » Mon May 03, 2010 8:03 pm

AmeriCorps can be a great experience but the programs vary widely in quality and what you'll actually be doing. It is possible to live on the stipends they provide for full-time AmeriCorps members but you have to be very frugal and live with roommates. It's a lot easier to get by on the stipends in smaller cities, rural areas, or places that have taken a major hit economically.

Most of these types of "programs" don't pay much. So if you are looking to make money, think again. I've met a few people who went overseas to teach as a part of different programs and they were paid much better but the cost of living in those places is high, which means you don't get to bring a lot of $ home.

If you are uncertain about going to law school, my advice would be to get a paralegal job at a law firm for a year, or get a part-time job and volunteer your time at a local legal aid clinic.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Mon May 03, 2010 8:08 pm

Acorn

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”