Studying for the June 2011 LSAT?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Cactus

Studying for the June 2011 LSAT?

Postby Cactus » Mon May 03, 2010 12:05 am

I'm currently a junior in undergrad with my sights set on taking the June 2011 LSAT. (I would be taking this year's June Test, but am taking 4.5 years to graduate so I could double major and have some time off before law school). My main question is what should I be doing now, 12 months out, 6 months out, 1 month away? I obviously want to maximize my score, and I have a lot of work to do considering my cold diagnostic score of 150 from a Princeton Review practice LSAT promo from last year (horrible timing issues on RC and LR killed me, did semi-decent on the games with 75% correct). I don't want to get in a situation where I exhaust my study materials, or where I get burned out, but I also want to be as absolutely prepared as possible. I'll only be taking 12 credit hours each semester to give myself more time for LSAT prep, and am still debating on whether or not to continue the job I've had over the past year as an undergraduate clerk for the university system office of the general counsel. For reference, I was planning on doing self-study by working through the Powerscore Bibles and taking as many practice tests as possible. I have a fairly competitive GPA, and I don't want to blow it on the LSAT, so I've come to you for help; when should I start studying? How should I be studying? Should I continue my work, or just focus on school and LSAT? Any other advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

thecilent

Re: Studying for the June 2011 LSAT?

Postby thecilent » Mon May 03, 2010 12:05 pm

Cactus wrote:I'm currently a junior in undergrad with my sights set on taking the June 2011 LSAT. (I would be taking this year's June Test, but am taking 4.5 years to graduate so I could double major and have some time off before law school). My main question is what should I be doing now, 12 months out, 6 months out, 1 month away? I obviously want to maximize my score, and I have a lot of work to do considering my cold diagnostic score of 150 from a Princeton Review practice LSAT promo from last year (horrible timing issues on RC and LR killed me, did semi-decent on the games with 75% correct). I don't want to get in a situation where I exhaust my study materials, or where I get burned out, but I also want to be as absolutely prepared as possible. I'll only be taking 12 credit hours each semester to give myself more time for LSAT prep, and am still debating on whether or not to continue the job I've had over the past year as an undergraduate clerk for the university system office of the general counsel. For reference, I was planning on doing self-study by working through the Powerscore Bibles and taking as many practice tests as possible. I have a fairly competitive GPA, and I don't want to blow it on the LSAT, so I've come to you for help; when should I start studying? How should I be studying? Should I continue my work, or just focus on school and LSAT? Any other advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Dude, take 10 minutes and search the site maybe? ..you probably spent that amount of time writing this post anyway.

Seriously though, go to the LSAT forum or read any of the LSAT prep articles..

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Mon May 03, 2010 12:11 pm

This is one of those things that you should be able to find on your own if you want to be successful in law school/life/etc. Sorry if that comes off harsh.

To your point,
1. Take lots of practice tests
2. Redo them thoroughly (this is more important than taking them)
3. Identify the flaws in your thinking that are causing you to miss questions and correct them
4. Rinse and repeat

If you're scoring <170 on your PTs, get LR and LG Bibles (as needed i.e. don't bother with LG if you already get -0 on all your LGs) and work through them. If you are scoring >170, you already have the thought process, you just need consistency.

Cactus

Postby Cactus » Mon May 03, 2010 7:10 pm

Thanks for the replies. You both make valid points, and I realized about a minute after posting that I should have consulted the LSAT forum and it's numerous posts on the subject. I was just looking for some more tailored advice or suggestions, but I suppose it comes off as rather lazy.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”