"I'm bad at standardized tests."

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mb88

"I'm bad at standardized tests."

Postby mb88 » Sun May 02, 2010 4:20 pm

Stop fooling yourselves and study harder, or admit to yourself that you're not the genius your mother says you are.

That is all.

legalease9

Re: "I'm bad at standardized tests."

Postby legalease9 » Sun May 02, 2010 4:27 pm

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun May 02, 2010 4:31 pm

Actually, I agree w/ the sentiment here. I've known many people that can "get good grades" by just putting in like 10x the amount of work as others but can't take a test for the life of them. There is a point where it just means you aren't very smart, but a hard worker. This is like Hufflepuff vs. Ravenclaw. :wink: Sure, the Hufflepuffs are lovable, jolly souls, but they are just not the brightest bulbs in the bunch.

Now, when learning disabilities come into play, that is a different matter. I just bet that adcoms see so many "I am not good at standardized test" addendums that they want to /selves.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Sun May 02, 2010 4:35 pm

legalease9 wrote:Image

150 on the quality of flame. OP - just admit that you are not the flame master you thought you were.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun May 02, 2010 4:37 pm

--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by prezidentv8 on Sun May 02, 2010 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KibblesAndVick

Postby KibblesAndVick » Sun May 02, 2010 4:38 pm

mb88 wrote:Stop fooling yourselves and study harder, or admit to yourself that you're not the genius your mother says you are.

That is all.

Scoring well on a standardized test doesn't mean shit. It doesn't validate your intelligence. HTH

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun May 02, 2010 4:49 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:
mb88 wrote:Stop fooling yourselves and study harder, or admit to yourself that you're not the genius your mother says you are.

That is all.

Scoring well on a standardized test doesn't mean shit. It doesn't validate your intelligence. HTH

But you can get into a good law school, which is almost as rewarding.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun May 02, 2010 5:00 pm

I dont know, in my experience the standardized test has been roughly accurate to people's intelligence. Which is not to say that the person isn't successful or skilled, but as far as sheer intellectual horsepower, I think it does it job. Maybe not correctly to the single digit, but a rough score range.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun May 02, 2010 5:02 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:--ImageRemoved--

I have a man crush on prezidentv8. I'll admit it.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun May 02, 2010 5:06 pm

A'nold wrote:

That will happen.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun May 02, 2010 5:08 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
A'nold wrote:

That will happen.

What's the story behind your avatar?

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun May 02, 2010 5:10 pm

A'nold wrote:What's the story behind your avatar?

Baseball season started and I haven't done anything athletic in a long time. The picture is me BS-ing with my pitcher in high school, probably telling him to stop throwing in the dirt or something.

mb88

Postby mb88 » Sun May 02, 2010 5:15 pm

On a related note: Is it really a flame if it's true?

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun May 02, 2010 5:22 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:

Baseball season started and I haven't done anything athletic in a long time. The picture is me BS-ing with my pitcher in high school, probably telling him to stop throwing in the dirt or something.

Do you play softball? That's my thang as of post-high school.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun May 02, 2010 5:27 pm

A'nold wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:

Duke Law Softball League man...I play third base and it is a terrifying place to be.

Waitingontheworld

Postby Waitingontheworld » Sun May 02, 2010 5:29 pm

Doing well doesn't just have to do with one's intelligence. There are several factors. If one for instance has to support one's family and work and go to school and doesn't have time to study for the exam, that's one instance where someone may end up stinking on their standardized exams. Some people panic on standardized exams and fail to do well. There's also the question of who has enough $ and time to buy the books to study, hire a tutor, or attend Kaplan, etc. There are several studied correlations between one's socioeconomic background and how well one does on standardized exams. These are just a few reasons. It seems some people on this board just love insulting other people's intelligence to make themselves feel better, whatever that reason may be.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun May 02, 2010 5:44 pm

Waitingontheworld wrote:Doing well doesn't just have to do with one's intelligence. There are several factors. If one for instance has to support one's family and work and go to school and doesn't have time to study for the exam, that's one instance where someone may end up stinking on their standardized exams. Some people panic on standardized exams and fail to do well. There's also the question of who has enough $ and time to buy the books to study, hire a tutor, or attend Kaplan, etc. There are several studied correlations between one's socioeconomic background and how well one does on standardized exams. These are just a few reasons. It seems some people on this board just love insulting other people's intelligence to make themselves feel better, whatever that reason may be.

You say "one" a lot.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun May 02, 2010 5:45 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
A'nold wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:

Duke Law Softball League man...I play third base and it is a terrifying place to be.

Two positions I don't play in softball: pitcher or 3rd base. My hat goes off to you sir. I play a lot of first, second, and outfield.

Waitingontheworld

Postby Waitingontheworld » Sun May 02, 2010 5:46 pm

A'nold wrote:
Waitingontheworld wrote:Doing well doesn't just have to do with one's intelligence. There are several factors. If one for instance has to support one's family and work and go to school and doesn't have time to study for the exam, that's one instance where someone may end up stinking on their standardized exams. Some people panic on standardized exams and fail to do well. There's also the question of who has enough $ and time to buy the books to study, hire a tutor, or attend Kaplan, etc. There are several studied correlations between one's socioeconomic background and how well one does on standardized exams. These are just a few reasons. It seems some people on this board just love insulting other people's intelligence to make themselves feel better, whatever that reason may be.

You say "one" a lot.

so?

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun May 02, 2010 5:48 pm

Waitingontheworld wrote:
A'nold wrote:

You say "one" a lot.

so?

So?

Waitingontheworld

Postby Waitingontheworld » Sun May 02, 2010 5:49 pm

Exactly.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”