Cornell vs. Northwestern

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Cornell or Northwestern

Cornell
21%
Northwestern
79%

Total votes: 85

MusicNutMeggie

Cornell vs. Northwestern

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Sun May 02, 2010 3:28 pm

Here's the deal: I visited Northwestern when I interviewed, but I can't make it out to Ithaca for a few weeks. I'm a native Californian, so the winter is intimidating either way, but I consider myself a big-city person. I haven't had enough time to fully research the differences in the programs, and since I was admitted to both schools so late (and no, there's no money at either school), I couldn't go to any admitted student events, so I'd really appreciate any insight.

I don't know what kind of law I want to practice, but I'm leading toward international, and both schools seem to have great programs there...I don't know. I'm also not sure where I want to end up living, so it's not a Chicago vs. NYC thing. I'd just really appreciate a second (and third and fourth and fifth) opinion. Thanks, guys!

vexion

Re: Cornell vs. Northwestern

Postby vexion » Sun May 02, 2010 3:53 pm

MusicNutMeggie wrote:Here's the deal: I visited Northwestern when I interviewed, but I can't make it out to Ithaca for a few weeks. I'm a native Californian, so the winter is intimidating either way, but I consider myself a big-city person. I haven't had enough time to fully research the differences in the programs, and since I was admitted to both schools so late (and no, there's no money at either school), I couldn't go to any admitted student events, so I'd really appreciate any insight.

I don't know what kind of law I want to practice, but I'm leading toward international, and both schools seem to have great programs there...I don't know. I'm also not sure where I want to end up living, so it's not a Chicago vs. NYC thing. I'd just really appreciate a second (and third and fourth and fifth) opinion. Thanks, guys!

It seems the only determining factor for you is that you're a "big-city person." Other than that, the schools are (almost) equal in rank, prestige, cost, and job prospects. So by a score of 1-0 I'd give it to Northwestern.

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Sun May 02, 2010 3:58 pm

vexion wrote:
MusicNutMeggie wrote:Here's the deal: I visited Northwestern when I interviewed, but I can't make it out to Ithaca for a few weeks. I'm a native Californian, so the winter is intimidating either way, but I consider myself a big-city person. I haven't had enough time to fully research the differences in the programs, and since I was admitted to both schools so late (and no, there's no money at either school), I couldn't go to any admitted student events, so I'd really appreciate any insight.

It seems the only determining factor for you is that you're a "big-city person." Other than that, NU has better prestige, cheaper tuition, and much better job prospects. So I'd give it to Northwestern.

Fixed

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sun May 02, 2010 4:52 pm

I kinda think you just need to decide where you would rather live.. Spend some time researching the areas of the schools, and that should pretty much make your decision for you.

You'll probs end up picking NU if you want to be near a city..

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun May 02, 2010 7:36 pm

Let's see, you're a native Californian, want a big city, and don't like winters...what's the decision here? Enjoy Northwestern!

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sun May 02, 2010 7:38 pm

As someone who's been to Ithaca before (visited Cornell undergrad) and has friends who have either been to Cornell for undergrad or grad.. you'll probably hate it.
Enjoy your three years in Northwestern!

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Sun May 02, 2010 11:39 pm

Take the train up to Evanston now and then and avail yourself of the nice campus that your law school isn't on.

FlamingCow

Postby FlamingCow » Mon May 03, 2010 12:34 am

TCS wrote:Take the train up to Evanston now and then and avail yourself of the nice campus that your law school isn't on.

Just as well, if s/he doesn't like winter. The wind that comes off the lake onto the campus is brutal 9 months out of the year.

MusicNutMeggie

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Mon May 03, 2010 10:22 pm

Yeeeeah...I'm going with Northwestern. Thanks for the input, everyone! :-)

vexion

Postby vexion » Mon May 03, 2010 10:26 pm

Congrats on your decision!

(Cornell will miss youuu...)

MusicNutMeggie

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Mon May 03, 2010 10:37 pm

vexion wrote:Congrats on your decision!

(Cornell will miss youuu...)

It was a toughie-- I'll miss Cornell, too, I think, but Chicago's just a better place for me to spend three years. It's bittersweet.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Tue May 04, 2010 3:35 am

I'll just add that both schools should be considered equally for international law because international law as 0L's think of it doesn't exist as an industry and shouldn't be thought of as a career option. See you at Northwestern though! Congrats on getting into two fantastic schools.

CCN

Postby CCN » Tue May 04, 2010 4:33 am

after a weekend trip in vegas, ithaca sounds HORRIBLE. why would anyone love nature enough to sacrifice civilization?

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Tue May 04, 2010 6:38 am

OP - Congrats on your decision. Most of the advice in ITT is very credited. However, are we really trying to tell the OP to choose Northwestern because it is windy in Ithaca? The winters in Chicago should be about the same, and from my experience it was only really cold in Ithaca from Nov-March (granted, most of the time school is in session. My wife does hate it here, but I like it b/c I have law school and law school friends. In any case, absent any $ from Cornell, and given your preferences, you have made a good choice in Northwestern. Best of luck.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Tue May 04, 2010 8:14 pm

FlamingCow wrote:
TCS wrote:Take the train up to Evanston now and then and avail yourself of the nice campus that your law school isn't on.

Just as well, if s/he doesn't like winter. The wind that comes off the lake onto the campus is brutal 9 months out of the year.

I didn't think it was that awful, really. But then the year I went to NU (2004-2005) was a relatively mild winter for Chicago.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:16 pm

Winter in Chicago is probably no less brutal than winter in Ithaca, tbh, and I know several Californians who have a difficult time dealing with it. That being said, however, the city does an excellent job with snow & ice removal (and not letting the weather slow people's lives down in general), so you may have an easier time adjusting to the weather in Chicago than in Ithaca (which I'm guessing does not have as large/well-funded of a snow removal system as Chicago because it's a lot smaller).

edit: Also, count on the weather being bad from November through at least the end of April in Chicago. It's just now starting to warm up (barring a couple of warm days in April).
Last edited by blue5385 on Tue May 04, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Tue May 04, 2010 10:17 pm

I'd rather deal with Chicago winters every day of the week and twice in December than go to upstate NY.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Tue May 04, 2010 10:39 pm

blue5385 wrote:Winter in Chicago is probably no less brutal than winter in Ithaca, tbh, and I know several Californians who have a difficult time dealing with it. That being said, however, the city does an excellent job with snow & ice removal (and not letting the weather slow people's lives down in general), so you may have an easier time adjusting to the weather in Chicago than in Ithaca (which I'm guessing does not have as large/well-funded of a snow removal system as Chicago because it's a lot smaller).

edit: Also, count on the weather being bad from November through at least the end of April in Chicago. It's just now starting to warm up (barring a couple of warm days in April).

New York and DC have been like this too. It's been a cold April.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Tue May 04, 2010 10:43 pm

You can look at these two charts to compare the two cities.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimat ... h/USIL0225

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimat ... h/USNY0717

Especially looking at the lows, Ithaca looks noticeably colder than Chicago. I know Chicago is said to be super windy, but I don't know if the wind in Chicago relative to that in Ithaca actually makes up for that temperature difference.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:08 pm

I think the wind chill definitely makes a difference in Chicago. I live fairly close to the lake and the wind off of it is brutal in winter and very strong even now, & NU Law has about the same east-west orientation as my apartment. I don't know much about Ithaca weather, since I've never lived there, but if the average temp. is lower, I'm glad I'm not moving there. :D

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Wed May 05, 2010 12:11 am

blue5385 wrote:I think the wind chill definitely makes a difference in Chicago. I live fairly close to the lake and the wind off of it is brutal in winter and very strong even now, & NU Law has about the same east-west orientation as my apartment. I don't know much about Ithaca weather, since I've never lived there, but if the average temp. is lower, I'm glad I'm not moving there. :D

Ugh, wind chill is the worst too. It's winter's answer to humidity. It makes the weather feel so much more miserable.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed May 05, 2010 12:33 am

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
blue5385 wrote:I think the wind chill definitely makes a difference in Chicago. I live fairly close to the lake and the wind off of it is brutal in winter and very strong even now, & NU Law has about the same east-west orientation as my apartment. I don't know much about Ithaca weather, since I've never lived there, but if the average temp. is lower, I'm glad I'm not moving there. :D

Ugh, wind chill is the worst too. It's winter's answer to humidity. It makes the weather feel so much more miserable.

Meh, I'd rather deal with Chicago windchill 365 days a year for the rest of my life than deal with NYC humidity for even another week.

If it's cold, put on a sweater. If it's hot, well you can't really take clothes off beyond shorts and short sleeve shirts. Humidity=evil.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Wed May 05, 2010 10:33 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:

Meh, I'd rather deal with Chicago windchill 365 days a year for the rest of my life than deal with NYC humidity for even another week.

If it's cold, put on a sweater. If it's hot, well you can't really take clothes off beyond shorts and short sleeve shirts. Humidity=evil.

As a Houston native, I dub this the credited response.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 05, 2010 10:43 pm

My opinion is that this is not even a close call. And that if you don't know the difference, then either choice will be fine.
Northwestern is clearly the leader in large firm placement according to both the National Law Journal & Princeton Review. The drop-out rate was zero at Northwestern & over 7% at Cornell.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”