JD after LLB (or other foreign undergraduate degree)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
user101

JD after LLB (or other foreign undergraduate degree)

Postby user101 » Sun May 02, 2010 12:24 pm

I am an American citizen who is considering getting an LLB in the UK. Would I be able to get a JD afterwards?

edit: In general, I'd also like to know whether getting an undergraduate degree outside of the US would negatively affect my chances either for law school or for employment.
Last edited by user101 on Mon May 03, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BriaTharen

Re: JD after LLB

Postby BriaTharen » Sun May 02, 2010 1:51 pm

The JD is the American equivalent of the UK LLB (name was changed so that lawyers could make more money). I don't see why not, but I would maybe talk to your current university's admissions department about your plans. They could tell you for sure, but I really don't see you having a problem.

user101

Postby user101 » Mon May 03, 2010 5:00 pm

I understand. I would like to know whether or not schools would consider an LLB for a JD or whether they would force you take an LLM instead.

The problem is that in the UK, you don't really get a GPA. Your degree is, however, classified into 1st, 2:1, 2:2, or 3rd. I was wondering how these would be looked upon in terms of admissions and scholarships/fellowships.

Mal

Postby Mal » Mon May 03, 2010 5:11 pm

user101 wrote:I understand. I would like to know whether or not schools would consider an LLB for a JD or whether they would force you take an LLM instead.

The problem is that in the UK, you don't really get a GPA. Your degree is, however, classified into 1st, 2:1, 2:2, or 3rd. I was wondering how these would be looked upon in terms of admissions and scholarships/fellowships.

Why would you want to do the same thing twice?

user101

Postby user101 » Mon May 03, 2010 9:08 pm

Mal wrote:
user101 wrote:...

Why would you want to do the same thing twice?

My hope is that it won't be exactly the same thing. From what I understand, the JD is more of a professional degree whereas the LLB is an academic degree. I'm not sure as to what implications that has for the actual course of study. I would like to do my undergraduate work in the UK, but I hope to practice law in the US.

From what I have found online, LSDAS does a conversion between UK degrees and GPA for admissions purposes. In general, law schools seem to weigh the LSAT higher for international applicants. I cannot find any information on taking a JD after an LLB. I also cannot find any information on scholarships for students with foreign qualifications (suppose I want to be in the running for something like the Hamilton scholarship at Columbia).

FlanAl

Re: JD after LLB (or other foreign undergraduate degree)

Postby FlanAl » Sat May 15, 2010 6:14 am

I have one of those how to get into Law School books and it actually says that doing something like this can be really helpful. Unfortunately it only had like a paragraph on the subject. If you already have an undergraduate degree this will only take you one or two years to complete. I myself am trying to figure out if doing an accelerated LLB or a Graduate Diploma in law would be more helpful. Both give you the first step to being able to practice in the UK one is two years and the other is one. (whether or not I want to take this route at all)

As far as grade conversions are concerned you should see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=110804

I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into what value being able to practice in two different countries might have. I've been warned with tons of stories about foreign lawyers not being able to practice in the states but it seems like if you plan to get the JD afterwards that you would be able to practice no problem. The two adcomms interviewed for the book spoke really highly of people applying who already had an LLB but it was only two adcomms. It also seems like if you are interested in international law this would probably be a much more effective (and cheaper) way compared to getting an LLM.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”