OMG. I hate myself. Please help - advice. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GIBilled

New

Re: OMG. I hate myself. Please help - advice.

Post by GIBilled » Sun May 02, 2010 3:20 pm

I have no qualms about attending CUNY this fall. The school has a phenominal reputation in the NYC public interest sector and is great at getting students those tough judicial internships. Oh yea, and I am going to law school for free.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Sun May 02, 2010 3:39 pm

newyorker88 wrote:
TheBigMediocre wrote:
A'nold wrote:ITT: gwuorbust shows his arrogance by lying about whether or not he knew op was in-state in a pathetic attempt to redeem himself while getting absolutely pwned by newyorker88.
A'nold, I normally really like your posts but I think this is a bit over-the-top. At no point did OP say s/he was in-state until her big clarifying paragraph (which was after the pissing match). The only thing that would provide some sort of evidence of NY residency was the OP asking if s/he should take the check directly to the office on Monday and even then, OP could just be living in NY without being a resident.
Whether he knew she was instate or not is irrelevant. I clearly stated in-state tuition was $10,000 per year. He said that wasn't true. No matter how you slice it he's wrong.
It is relevant. Throughout the argument, he was responding to the original issue of whether or not attending CUNY would cause someone to incur a lot of debt, not whether or not in-state tuition was $10k/year. I think the disconnect here just comes from ambiguous writing on a message board. He made an out-of-state assumption. You made an in-state assumption.

Congratulations! You're both right!

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Sun May 02, 2010 3:46 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:
TheBigMediocre wrote:
A'nold wrote:ITT: gwuorbust shows his arrogance by lying about whether or not he knew op was in-state in a pathetic attempt to redeem himself while getting absolutely pwned by newyorker88.
A'nold, I normally really like your posts but I think this is a bit over-the-top. At no point did OP say s/he was in-state until her big clarifying paragraph (which was after the pissing match). The only thing that would provide some sort of evidence of NY residency was the OP asking if s/he should take the check directly to the office on Monday and even then, OP could just be living in NY without being a resident.
Whether he knew she was instate or not is irrelevant. I clearly stated in-state tuition was $10,000 per year. He said that wasn't true. No matter how you slice it he's wrong.
It is relevant. Throughout the argument, he was responding to the original issue of whether or not attending CUNY would cause someone to incur a lot of debt, not whether or not in-state tuition was $10k/year. I think the disconnect here just comes from ambiguous writing on a message board. He made an out-of-state assumption. You made an in-state assumption.

+1, huge disconnect here caused by differing assumptions

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Sun May 02, 2010 3:50 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
TheBigMediocre wrote:

+1, huge disconnect here caused by differing assumptions
I think it's time for a hug:

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Mon May 03, 2010 12:37 am

If this thread is any indication of how conversations with law students are gonna go..

*punches computer*

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Mon May 03, 2010 1:16 am

TheBigMediocre wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:
TheBigMediocre wrote:
Two things. No, he responded specifcally to my statements about instate tution. Whether he knew if she was instate or not is not relevant in his response to me. I said in-state tution is $10,000 per year. He responded saying that was false. Now, had I said tution for op will be $10,000 per year then if he knew whether she was in state or not would be relevant.Two I made no assumptions. Before responding to the thread I did a 10 second check of op's post history and saw that she is a new york resident. You on the other hand have just made an assumption. You assumed that I was assuming when i stated that op was in state. I was not.
Last edited by newyorker88 on Mon May 03, 2010 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Mon May 03, 2010 1:20 am

I know this is overdone but seriously...

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon May 03, 2010 1:27 am

Unemployed wrote:I know this is overdone but seriously...

<3

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Mon May 03, 2010 1:40 am

Nightrunner wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:If this thread is any indication of how conversations with law students are gonna go..

*punches computer*

JGG, seriously, it's cool. You're just going to be constantly surrounded by people who are used to winning every argument, even when they're wrong, and who have totally gotten away with well-worded fallacies for their entire lives. Oh, and they love to argue.

Oh, and you're around them every day for the next three years.
bringing brass knuckles to class

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Mon May 03, 2010 9:47 am

Nightrunner wrote:JGG, seriously, it's cool. You're just going to be constantly surrounded by people who are used to winning every argument, even when they're wrong, and who have totally gotten away with well-worded fallacies for their entire lives. Oh, and they love to argue.

Oh, and you're around them every day for [strike]the next three years[/strike] the rest of your career.
FTFY.

melanieB

New

Post by melanieB » Mon May 03, 2010 12:25 pm

Well... I didn't call after all. Or send the check. I got into one of my top choices today. CRAZY the way the world works. :shock: That said, I still think CUNY is amazing and deserves ALOT more credit than some of you give it and it's was still in my top 3 choices.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Mon May 03, 2010 12:27 pm

melanieB wrote:Well... I didn't call after all. Or send the check. I got into one of my top choices today. CRAZY the way the world works. :shock: That said, I still think CUNY is amazing and deserves ALOT more credit than some of you give it and it's was still in my top 3 choices.

So it looks like your incompetence has saved you $500. Score one for the good guys.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Mon May 03, 2010 12:29 pm

melanieB wrote:Well... I didn't call after all. Or send the check. I got into one of my top choices today. CRAZY the way the world works. :shock: That said, I still think CUNY is amazing and deserves ALOT more credit than some of you give it and it's was still in my top 3 choices.

I wasn't joking about this being a blessing in disguise.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Mon May 03, 2010 12:31 pm

miamiman wrote:

I wasn't joking about this being a blessing in disguise.
Agreed. So where are you going to end up then?

legalized

Bronze

Post by legalized » Mon May 03, 2010 1:03 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:OP's statement about part-time employment raised a question in my mind. Doesn't the ABA prohibit full-time first year law students from holding jobs?
ABA RECOMMENDS not working the first year. It's up to the law schools to solidify that into a requirement of 1L.

melanieB

New

Post by melanieB » Mon May 03, 2010 1:16 pm

okay Miamiman, ill give you a +1 for your unexpected prediction :lol: WCL!!! It was a last minute decision too and the only non-NYS I applied to. Thanks guys for your help and humor, now excuse me while I go celebrate :) I didn't get my financial aid packet though, I'll have to wait for that I guess? Or I'll call them and ask. :mrgreen:

melanieB

New

Post by melanieB » Mon May 03, 2010 1:18 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:

So it looks like your incompetence has saved you $500. Score one for the good guys.
Yes. If only incompetence saved me all those other times. Lesson learned.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Mon May 03, 2010 1:21 pm

melanieB wrote:okay Miamiman, ill give you a +1 for your unexpected prediction :lol: WCL!!! It was a last minute decision too and the only non-NYS I applied to. Thanks guys for your help and humor, now excuse me while I go celebrate :) I didn't get my financial aid packet though, I'll have to wait for that I guess? Or I'll call them and ask. :mrgreen:
Congratulations!

So... where are you going?

Miamiman will tell you whether that's a curse or a blessing.

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Mon May 03, 2010 1:23 pm

Unemployed wrote:
melanieB wrote:okay Miamiman, ill give you a +1 for your unexpected prediction :lol: WCL!!! It was a last minute decision too and the only non-NYS I applied to. Thanks guys for your help and humor, now excuse me while I go celebrate :) I didn't get my financial aid packet though, I'll have to wait for that I guess? Or I'll call them and ask. :mrgreen:
Congratulations!

Let me bold that for you.

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Mon May 03, 2010 1:23 pm

redsox wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
Congratulations!

Let me bold that for you.
Never even heard of it

(bitterlawyer joke aside, I actually didn't recognize what that was... why don't they just go by Amurkan?)
Last edited by Unemployed on Mon May 03, 2010 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Mon May 03, 2010 1:24 pm

Unemployed wrote: Never even heard of it
American

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Mon May 03, 2010 1:24 pm

American University? Congrats if that's the case! Although, I hope you're getting some money...

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Mon May 03, 2010 1:27 pm

american wcl, ey?

Figure out what the dollars and cents cost/benefit is for yourself. then you too can evaluate whether its a curse or blessing

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Mon May 03, 2010 1:36 pm

b/c I've already gotten enough ppl riled up in this thread I am not going to say my normal pitch on American. just make sure you understand how much debt you will be taking on for American.

T14_Scholly

Bronze

Post by T14_Scholly » Mon May 03, 2010 1:44 pm

newyorker88 wrote: Two things. No, he responded specifcally to my statements about instate tution. Whether he knew if she was instate or not is not relevant in his response to me. I said in-state tution is $10,000 per year. He responded saying that was false. Now, had I said tution for op will be $10,000 per year then if he knew whether she was in state or not would be relevant.Two I made no assumptions. Before responding to the thread I did a 10 second check of op's post history and saw that she is a new york resident. You on the other hand have just made an assumption. You assumed that I was assuming when i stated that op was in state. I was not.
Please don't tell me that avatar is a picture of yourself.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”