OMG. I hate myself. Please help - advice.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: OMG. I hate myself. Please help - advice.

Postby gwuorbust » Sun May 02, 2010 10:59 am

A'nold wrote:All you guys crapping on op are looking REALLY foolish right now. You should definitely do your research before opening your mouths. CUNY is fine for what OP wants and is a much more responsible move that paying sticker for like Cardozo IMO.


One bad decision doesn't make another bad decision a good one. Going to CUNY, or Cardozo @ sticker, would BOTH be bad decisions IMO.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: OMG. I hate myself. Please help - advice.

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun May 02, 2010 11:04 am

I really think OP's going to be okay debt-wise, especially if she's in state:

http://www.law.cuny.edu/admissions/tuition.html

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: OMG. I hate myself. Please help - advice.

Postby miamiman » Sun May 02, 2010 11:06 am

Its hard to objectively define a "good" decision for law school. It hinges on so many considerations: relative options, career goals, finances, etc.

All of that being said, I'm not sure any law school in the T3 or T4 is ever a good (or even excusably bad) decision.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: OMG. I hate myself. Please help - advice.

Postby D. H2Oman » Sun May 02, 2010 11:09 am

OperaSoprano wrote:I really think OP's going to be okay debt-wise, especially if she's in state:

http://www.law.cuny.edu/admissions/tuition.html



+1, OS is the money here. Someone going to Brooklyn at sticker trying to get biglaw is an idiot. Someone going to CUNY for PI is making a perfectly reasonable move. This is a great example of when the rankings are beyond meaningless.

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: OMG. I hate myself. Please help - advice.

Postby Unemployed » Sun May 02, 2010 11:23 am

OperaSoprano wrote:I really think OP's going to be okay debt-wise, especially if she's in state:

http://www.law.cuny.edu/admissions/tuition.html


:shock: :shock:

<-----develops even more respect for the two CUNY lawyers I work with on pro bono projects. I knew they both had fulfilling careers, but apparently their finances are in order as well.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: OMG. I hate myself. Please help - advice.

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun May 02, 2010 11:29 am

Unemployed wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:I really think OP's going to be okay debt-wise, especially if she's in state:

http://www.law.cuny.edu/admissions/tuition.html


:shock: :shock:

<-----develops even more respect for the two CUNY lawyers I work with on pro bono projects. I knew they both had fulfilling careers, but apparently their finances are in order as well.


Seriously. FIT (a SUNY school) was about the same price, which is why I have no UG debt, but Fordham is ever so slightly more expensive.

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: OMG. I hate myself. Please help - advice.

Postby Unemployed » Sun May 02, 2010 11:41 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:I really think OP's going to be okay debt-wise, especially if she's in state:

http://www.law.cuny.edu/admissions/tuition.html


:shock: :shock:

<-----develops even more respect for the two CUNY lawyers I work with on pro bono projects. I knew they both had fulfilling careers, but apparently their finances are in order as well.


Seriously. FIT (a SUNY school) was about the same price, which is why I have no UG debt, but Fordham is ever so slightly more expensive.


Yeah... the sticker price of my post-secondary education (+ living expenses) is $390,000. Maybe I can get to 500k with a tax LLM from NYU and a master's degree from Oxford.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: OMG. I hate myself. Please help - advice.

Postby D. H2Oman » Sun May 02, 2010 11:44 am

Unemployed wrote:Yeah... the sticker price of my post-secondary education (+ living expenses) is $390,000. Maybe I can get to 500k with a tax LLM from NYU and a master's degree from Oxford.


Damn dude, does Sallie Mae have frequent customer points that you can redeem? I feel like they at least owe you like a t shirt and water bottle.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: OMG. I hate myself. Please help - advice.

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun May 02, 2010 11:46 am

Unemployed wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:I really think OP's going to be okay debt-wise, especially if she's in state:

http://www.law.cuny.edu/admissions/tuition.html


:shock: :shock:

<-----develops even more respect for the two CUNY lawyers I work with on pro bono projects. I knew they both had fulfilling careers, but apparently their finances are in order as well.


Seriously. FIT (a SUNY school) was about the same price, which is why I have no UG debt, but Fordham is ever so slightly more expensive.


Yeah... the sticker price of my post-secondary education (+ living expenses) is $390,000. Maybe I can get to 500k with a tax LLM from NYU and a master's degree from Oxford.


Do it! I'm coming for that Ivy post JD degree I promised I'd get. What do you think; Columbia MSW or PhD in psychology? I won't even break $250k at the rate I am going. :lol: <3

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: OMG. I hate myself. Please help - advice.

Postby Unemployed » Sun May 02, 2010 11:54 am

D. H2Oman wrote:
Unemployed wrote:Yeah... the sticker price of my post-secondary education (+ living expenses) is $390,000. Maybe I can get to 500k with a tax LLM from NYU and a master's degree from Oxford.


Damn dude, does Sallie Mae have frequent customer points that you can redeem? I feel like they at least owe you like a t shirt and water bottle.


Thank god I didn't have to pay the sticker price. My parents were (quite conveniently) poor during UG so I went for free, and scholarship is paying for a big chunk of my law school education. So Auntie Sallie doesn't quite own my life...

As my senior year was coming to a close, my parents had become relatively wealthy, so it appeared they were on the hook for my younger sibling's college education... turns out their employer pays for college. How did they (and I) get so lucky?

OperaSoprano wrote:Do it! I'm coming for that Ivy post JD degree I promised I'd get. What do you think; Columbia MSW or PhD in psychology? I won't even break $250k at the rate I am going. :lol: <3


Based on your debtload, you are grossly undereducated and unfit to hold a soul-sucking job.

Also, Harvard MBA is the CR.

Edit: Also, sorry for derailing the thread OP. It looks like you are making a good decision, and I'm sure the late deposit is a non-issue.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: OMG. I hate myself. Please help - advice.

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun May 02, 2010 12:02 pm

Unemployed wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
Unemployed wrote:Yeah... the sticker price of my post-secondary education (+ living expenses) is $390,000. Maybe I can get to 500k with a tax LLM from NYU and a master's degree from Oxford.


Damn dude, does Sallie Mae have frequent customer points that you can redeem? I feel like they at least owe you like a t shirt and water bottle.


Thank god I didn't have to pay the sticker price. My parents were (quite conveniently) poor during UG so I went for free, and scholarship is paying for a big chunk of my law school education. So Auntie Sallie doesn't quite own my life...

As my senior year was coming to a close, my parents had become relatively wealthy, so it appeared they were on the hook for my younger sibling's college education... turns out their employer pays for college. How did they (and I) get so lucky?

OperaSoprano wrote:Do it! I'm coming for that Ivy post JD degree I promised I'd get. What do you think; Columbia MSW or PhD in psychology? I won't even break $250k at the rate I am going. :lol: <3


Based on your debtload, you are grossly undereducated and unfit to hold a soul-sucking job.

Also, Harvard MBA is the CR.


Harvard MBA? Any kind of MBA, actually? You have got to be kidding me. Yet you aren't the only one who comes up with these ridiculous suggestions... Why does everyone I know not want me to go into public interest?

And you are lucky. My parents paid for UG, and I may inherit just enough to wipe my LS debt, but it would be foolish to rely on that. I expect to pay for it myself.

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: OMG. I hate myself. Please help - advice.

Postby Unemployed » Sun May 02, 2010 12:11 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
Unemployed wrote:Yeah... the sticker price of my post-secondary education (+ living expenses) is $390,000. Maybe I can get to 500k with a tax LLM from NYU and a master's degree from Oxford.


Damn dude, does Sallie Mae have frequent customer points that you can redeem? I feel like they at least owe you like a t shirt and water bottle.


Thank god I didn't have to pay the sticker price. My parents were (quite conveniently) poor during UG so I went for free, and scholarship is paying for a big chunk of my law school education. So Auntie Sallie doesn't quite own my life...

As my senior year was coming to a close, my parents had become relatively wealthy, so it appeared they were on the hook for my younger sibling's college education... turns out their employer pays for college. How did they (and I) get so lucky?

OperaSoprano wrote:Do it! I'm coming for that Ivy post JD degree I promised I'd get. What do you think; Columbia MSW or PhD in psychology? I won't even break $250k at the rate I am going. :lol: <3


Based on your debtload, you are grossly undereducated and unfit to hold a soul-sucking job.

Also, Harvard MBA is the CR.


Harvard MBA? Any kind of MBA, actually? You have got to be kidding me. Yet you aren't the only one who comes up with these ridiculous suggestions... Why does everyone I know not want me to go into public interest?

And you are lucky. My parents paid for UG, and I may inherit just enough to wipe my LS debt, but it would be foolish to rely on that. I expect to pay for it myself.


I thought this discussion was all about increasing the educational debtload in the shortest amount of time possible?

On a more serious note, MBA programs aren't just for people who want to work for Goldman. There is a strong contingent of public-minded people who want to manage non-profit organizations (and business schools provide LRAP-esque assistance to such people).

User avatar
newyorker88
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: OMG. I hate myself. Please help - advice.

Postby newyorker88 » Sun May 02, 2010 1:02 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
A'nold wrote:All you guys crapping on op are looking REALLY foolish right now. You should definitely do your research before opening your mouths. CUNY is fine for what OP wants and is a much more responsible move that paying sticker for like Cardozo IMO.


One bad decision doesn't make another bad decision a good one. Going to CUNY, or Cardozo @ sticker, would BOTH be bad decisions IMO.


Either you don't know how much CUNY costs or you're an idiot. $10,000 tuition is a bad idea if you want a public interest job and they do alright in that area? please explain

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: OMG. I hate myself. Please help - advice.

Postby gwuorbust » Sun May 02, 2010 1:31 pm

newyorker88 wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:
A'nold wrote:All you guys crapping on op are looking REALLY foolish right now. You should definitely do your research before opening your mouths. CUNY is fine for what OP wants and is a much more responsible move that paying sticker for like Cardozo IMO.


One bad decision doesn't make another bad decision a good one. Going to CUNY, or Cardozo @ sticker, would BOTH be bad decisions IMO.


Either you don't know how much CUNY costs or you're an idiot. $10,000 tuition is a bad idea if you want a public interest job and they do alright in that area? please explain


1st. that is 10k each semester, meaning 20k/year in tuition + COL in NY. Assuming even just 13.3k/year in COL then 33.3k * 3 = 100k in debt. That is still a lot of debt.

2nd. I will admit that I believe that you should go to a better school even if you plan on doing PI. Why? Because from a survey I read a while ago about ~40% of students go into LS claim they want to do PI. Sometime in LS turns out only ~10% actually do PI. Point is, what you think you want to do can easily change. If you want to do PI at a good school and you decide not to then you still have the possibility of competing for a good private sector job. I shudder for anyone who graduates from CUNY at median and has changed from PI to wanting $$$

User avatar
TheBigMediocre
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: OMG. I hate myself. Please help - advice.

Postby TheBigMediocre » Sun May 02, 2010 1:34 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:
A'nold wrote:All you guys crapping on op are looking REALLY foolish right now. You should definitely do your research before opening your mouths. CUNY is fine for what OP wants and is a much more responsible move that paying sticker for like Cardozo IMO.


One bad decision doesn't make another bad decision a good one. Going to CUNY, or Cardozo @ sticker, would BOTH be bad decisions IMO.


Either you don't know how much CUNY costs or you're an idiot. $10,000 tuition is a bad idea if you want a public interest job and they do alright in that area? please explain


1st. that is 10k each semester, meaning 20k/year in tuition + COL in NY. Assuming even just 13.3k/year in COL then 33.3k * 3 = 100k in debt. That is still a lot of debt.

2nd. I will admit that I believe that you should go to a better school even if you plan on doing PI. Why? Because from a survey I read a while ago about ~40% of students go into LS claim they want to do PI. Sometime in LS turns out only ~10% actually do PI. Point is, what you think you want to do can easily change. If you want to do PI at a good school and you decide not to then you still have the possibility of competing for a good private sector job. I shudder for anyone who graduates from CUNY at median and has changed from PI to wanting $$$


+1, thanks gwuorbust. I was going to write something similar to part 1 of this to respond to the guy who called me a dumb ass, but you nailed it on the head.

User avatar
newyorker88
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: OMG. I hate myself. Please help - advice.

Postby newyorker88 » Sun May 02, 2010 1:38 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:
A'nold wrote:All you guys crapping on op are looking REALLY foolish right now. You should definitely do your research before opening your mouths. CUNY is fine for what OP wants and is a much more responsible move that paying sticker for like Cardozo IMO.


One bad decision doesn't make another bad decision a good one. Going to CUNY, or Cardozo @ sticker, would BOTH be bad decisions IMO.


Either you don't know how much CUNY costs or you're an idiot. $10,000 tuition is a bad idea if you want a public interest job and they do alright in that area? please explain


1st. that is 10k each semester,


No it's not. Why don't you know how much CUNY costs two links were provided in this thread. Cuny tuition is 10k per year for ny residents. As far as COL OP didn't give specifics. If they'll be living at home or not. So i'm not going to make assumptions about how much their col will be.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: OMG. I hate myself. Please help - advice.

Postby gwuorbust » Sun May 02, 2010 2:14 pm

@ newyorker88: Reading Comp FAIL

From the link:

Tuition & Fees
All tuition and fee schedules are necessarily subject to change without notice at any time upon action by the City University of New York, regardless of the tuition and fee schedules in effect at the time of an offer of admission.

2009-2010 Full-Time (per semester)

New York State Residents Non-Residents
Base Tuition $5,120 $8,510
Materials Fee $700
Technology Fee $100
Consolidated Fee $15
Student Activity Fee $40.85
Total $5,975.85 $9,365.85


Now last time I checked, when something says 'per semester' that means the cost... per semester. So unless CUNY only has one semester per year then the cost is ~20k/year.

Also, while I said 13.3k for COL if you could live on 13.3k for 9 months in NYC that would be an amazing feat.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: OMG. I hate myself. Please help - advice.

Postby gwuorbust » Sun May 02, 2010 2:20 pm

and can we all agree, why the fuck does CUNY have a picture of a guy who looks like he just got out of bed on their tuition and fees page?

User avatar
redsox
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: OMG. I hate myself. Please help - advice.

Postby redsox » Sun May 02, 2010 2:25 pm

melanieB wrote:I received an email on Friday from the school stating another congrats. on my admissions so that's the only thing that gives me a piece of mind.


Do you use this expression often?

melanieB
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:47 pm

Re: OMG. I hate myself. Please help - advice.

Postby melanieB » Sun May 02, 2010 2:26 pm

redsox wrote:
melanieB wrote:I received an email on Friday from the school stating another congrats. on my admissions so that's the only thing that gives me a piece of mind.


Do you use this expression often?


Do I? Maybe I do. Maybe saying it gives me a piece of mind. :twisted:

User avatar
newyorker88
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: OMG. I hate myself. Please help - advice.

Postby newyorker88 » Sun May 02, 2010 2:27 pm

gwuorbust wrote:@ newyorker88: Reading Comp FAIL

From the link:

Tuition & Fees
All tuition and fee schedules are necessarily subject to change without notice at any time upon action by the City University of New York, regardless of the tuition and fee schedules in effect at the time of an offer of admission.

2009-2010 Full-Time (per semester)

New York State Residents Non-Residents
Base Tuition $5,120 $8,510
Materials Fee $700
Technology Fee $100
Consolidated Fee $15
Student Activity Fee $40.85
Total $5,975.85 $9,365.85


Now last time I checked, when something says 'per semester' that means the cost... per semester. So unless CUNY only has one semester per year then the cost is ~20k/year.

Also, while I said 13.3k for COL if you could live on 13.3k for 9 months in NYC that would be an amazing feat.


Wow you're dumb and have no reading comprehension skills whatsoever. I repeat tuition per year for in state residents is $10,000. If you look at the chart you just posted it confirms what I said. The chart breaks it down by semester and concludes that tuition is $5,000 per semester for instate. times that by two and you have what I said tuition for in state residents is $10,000 per year. gosh you're dumb
Last edited by newyorker88 on Sun May 02, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: OMG. I hate myself. Please help - advice.

Postby Grizz » Sun May 02, 2010 2:28 pm

I didn't read all the responses, but there's really nothing you can do now. I bet they'll take the money. Just for comparison, Emory sent me an email about a couple weeks after the deposit deadline wanting to know what was up with me, and whether I would be attending. This was after I had send a nice email withdrawing on April 13th or so I think. Just call them and ask if you get your seat.

melanieB
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:47 pm

Re: OMG. I hate myself. Please help - advice.

Postby melanieB » Sun May 02, 2010 2:32 pm

rad law wrote:I didn't read all the responses, but there's really nothing you can do now. I bet they'll take the money. Just for comparison, Emory sent me an email about a couple weeks after the deposit deadline wanting to know what was up with me, and whether I would be attending. This was after I had send a nice email withdrawing on April 13th or so I think. Just call them and ask if you get your seat.


Thanks I hope so.


And I've had a day to sleep over it, and I think I'll take the more positive advice I've received thus far and hope for the best on Monday. Also in terms of payment, since I live in NY it would be $5,975 a semester meaning $11,950 a year. I have a $2000 scholarship (so far, still applying for more though I'm not expecting anything) AND I'm living with my lovely parents which equals free living and a father who insists on buying me metrocards :wink: . Which makes transportation free. There's also NY TAP that I'm waiting to hear from and CUNY's financial aid packer. So overall if I calculate it, it will be about 9,950 a year for me. I have a part-time job offer from an old boss and if I take it (still contemplating whether I should work my first year), then I could pay off most of the tuition per year. :mrgreen: So no, I would not be in crippling debt. Honestly, money doesn't matter to me. I've lived without much money all my life and if I have to do the same the rest of my life so be it. I care more about doing a job that I believe is meaningful to my life.

User avatar
newyorker88
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: OMG. I hate myself. Please help - advice.

Postby newyorker88 » Sun May 02, 2010 2:33 pm

I mean is it really that hard. Class if tuition is $5,000 per semester for in state residents and there are two semester. How much is in state tuition per year? How hard is it to come up with $10,0000.

Also, did any of you idiots (gwuorbust) look at the previous link posted

"New York residents pay only $10,240 annually"

http://www.top-law-schools.com/cuny-law.html

Good grief, this is not rocket science.

User avatar
redsox
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: OMG. I hate myself. Please help - advice.

Postby redsox » Sun May 02, 2010 2:35 pm

newyorker88 wrote:I mean is it really that hard. Class if tuition is $5,000 per semester for in state residents and there are two semester. How much is in state tuition per year? How hard is it to come up with $10,0000.

Also, did any of you idiots look at the previous link posted

"New York residents pay only $10,240 annually"

http://www.top-law-schools.com/cuny-law.html

Good grief, this is not rocket science.


I think I'm doing something wrong. How are you getting $10,0000?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Christinabruin, notnecessarilyproper and 3 guests