OMG. I hate myself. Please help - advice. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
newyorker88

Silver

Re: OMG. I hate myself. Please help - advice.

Post by newyorker88 » Sun May 02, 2010 2:37 pm

redsox wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:I mean is it really that hard. Class if tuition is $5,000 per semester for in state residents and there are two semester. How much is in state tuition per year? How hard is it to come up with $10,000.

Also, did any of you idiots look at the previous link posted

"New York residents pay only $10,240 annually"

http://www.top-law-schools.com/cuny-law.html

Good grief, this is not rocket science.
I think I'm doing something wrong. How are you getting $10,0000?
lol too many 0's. the correct response that i've said a bunch of times is $10,000. somehow people in this thread keep coming up with instate as 20,000.

lbeezy

Gold

Post by lbeezy » Sun May 02, 2010 2:38 pm

melanieB wrote:
redsox wrote:
melanieB wrote:I received an email on Friday from the school stating another congrats. on my admissions so that's the only thing that gives me a piece of mind.
Do you use this expression often?
Do I? Maybe I do. Maybe saying it gives me a piece of mind. :twisted:
Oh my.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Sun May 02, 2010 2:38 pm

redsox wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:I mean is it really that hard. Class if tuition is $5,000 per semester for in state residents and there are two semester. How much is in state tuition per year? How hard is it to come up with $10,0000.

Cause he assumed Op was in-state, which is abt 5k/semester or 10k a year

I had no such assumptions and out of state is 10k/semester or 20k a year

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Sun May 02, 2010 2:39 pm

newyorker88 wrote:
redsox wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:I mean is it really that hard. Class if tuition is $5,000 per semester for in state residents and there are two semester. How much is in state tuition per year? How hard is it to come up with $10,000.

lol too many 0's. the correct response that i've said a bunch of times is $10,000
No, no. Not too many. Did you think I was getting $10,00000? My problem is too few. I'm getting $10,000. Please don't lol at me :(

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Sun May 02, 2010 2:40 pm

lbeezy wrote:
melanieB wrote:
redsox wrote:
melanieB wrote:I received an email on Friday from the school stating another congrats. on my admissions so that's the only thing that gives me a piece of mind.
Do you use this expression often?
Do I? Maybe I do. Maybe saying it gives me a piece of mind. :twisted:
Oh my.
Um.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

creatinganalt

Bronze

Post by creatinganalt » Sun May 02, 2010 2:40 pm

Do people really think going onto other people's threads to sneer at them for their school choices makes them look better?

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Sun May 02, 2010 2:42 pm

creatinganalt wrote:Do people really think going onto other people's threads to sneer at them for their school choices makes them look better?
I think you know the answer to this question already.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Sun May 02, 2010 2:42 pm

melanieB wrote:
rad law wrote:I didn't read all the responses, but there's really nothing you can do now. I bet they'll take the money. Just for comparison, Emory sent me an email about a couple weeks after the deposit deadline wanting to know what was up with me, and whether I would be attending. This was after I had send a nice email withdrawing on April 13th or so I think. Just call them and ask if you get your seat.
Thanks I hope so.

And I've had a day to sleep over it, and I think I'll take the more positive advice I've received thus far and hope for the best on Monday. Also in terms of payment,since I live in NY it would be $5,975 a semester meaning $11,950 a year. I have a $2000 scholarship (so far, still applying for more though I'm not expecting anything) AND I'm living with my lovely parents which equals free living and a father who insists on buying me metrocards :wink: . Which makes transportation free. There's also NY TAP that I'm waiting to hear from and CUNY's financial aid packer. So overall if I calculate it, it will be about 9,950 a year for me. .
Thanks for clarifying. People were putting you're tuition at $20,000 per year. and coming up with outrageous COL figures without even knowing your living situation. With what you've said I don't see the crippling debt that some posters were referring to and I think you're making a good decision that fits your career plans.

lbeezy

Gold

Post by lbeezy » Sun May 02, 2010 2:43 pm

redsox wrote:Um.
Yeah.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Sun May 02, 2010 2:43 pm

redsox wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:
redsox wrote:

lol too many 0's. the correct response that i've said a bunch of times is $10,000
No, no. Not too many. Did you think I was getting $10,00000? My problem is too few. I'm getting $10,000. Please don't lol at me :(
10,000 is correct. That's what you get when you times 5,000 by 2. This idiot gwuorbust kept insisting instate tuition was $20,000 per year.
Last edited by newyorker88 on Sun May 02, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Sun May 02, 2010 2:44 pm

lbeezy wrote:
Yeah.
Oh, word?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun May 02, 2010 2:45 pm

Unemployed wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
Damn dude, does Sallie Mae have frequent customer points that you can redeem? I feel like they at least owe you like a t shirt and water bottle.
Thank god I didn't have to pay the sticker price. My parents were (quite conveniently) poor during UG so I went for free, and scholarship is paying for a big chunk of my law school education. So Auntie Sallie doesn't quite own my life...

As my senior year was coming to a close, my parents had become relatively wealthy, so it appeared they were on the hook for my younger sibling's college education... turns out their employer pays for college. How did they (and I) get so lucky?
OperaSoprano wrote:Do it! I'm coming for that Ivy post JD degree I promised I'd get. What do you think; Columbia MSW or PhD in psychology? I won't even break $250k at the rate I am going. :lol: <3
Based on your debtload, you are grossly undereducated and unfit to hold a soul-sucking job.

Also, Harvard MBA is the CR.
Harvard MBA? Any kind of MBA, actually? You have got to be kidding me. Yet you aren't the only one who comes up with these ridiculous suggestions... Why does everyone I know not want me to go into public interest?

And you are lucky. My parents paid for UG, and I may inherit just enough to wipe my LS debt, but it would be foolish to rely on that. I expect to pay for it myself.
I thought this discussion was all about increasing the educational debtload in the shortest amount of time possible?

On a more serious note, MBA programs aren't just for people who want to work for Goldman. There is a strong contingent of public-minded people who want to manage non-profit organizations (and business schools provide LRAP-esque assistance to such people).
Must increase debt! :D I'll see what I can do. I think I would win the contest for spending the most to have the smallest post graduate salary.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Sun May 02, 2010 2:47 pm

newyorker88 wrote: 10,000 is correct. That's what you get when you times 5,000 by 2. This idiot gwuorbust kept insisting instate tuition was $20,000 per year.
thanks for saving the day buddy. you going to ride in on your white horse next time ?

btw, where did ONE of my posts say anything about in-state ?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Sun May 02, 2010 2:47 pm

OP's statement about part-time employment raised a question in my mind. Doesn't the ABA prohibit full-time first year law students from holding jobs?

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Sun May 02, 2010 2:47 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
redsox wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:I mean is it really that hard. Class if tuition is $5,000 per semester for in state residents and there are two semester. How much is in state tuition per year? How hard is it to come up with $10,0000.

Cause he assumed Op was in-state, which is abt 5k/semester or 10k a year

I had no such assumptions and out of state is 10k/semester or 20k a year
OP is instate not an assumption but a fact. If you didn't know that fact you could've asked. Either way I clearly stated that instate tuition was $10,000 per year and you said that was wrong. You clearly had no clue what you were talking about. My statement that in state tuition is $10,000 is correct. your claim that i was wrong is not.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Sun May 02, 2010 2:48 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
newyorker88 wrote: 10,000 is correct. That's what you get when you times 5,000 by 2. This idiot gwuorbust kept insisting instate tuition was $20,000 per year.
thanks for saving the day buddy. you going to ride in on your white horse next time ?

btw, where did ONE of my posts say anything about in-state ?
I said that in-state was $10,000 per year. You responded saying that I was wrong. Do you need me to quote the convo?

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Sun May 02, 2010 2:49 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:
lbeezy wrote:
Yeah.
Oh, word?
That's what she said.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Sun May 02, 2010 2:53 pm

lbeezy wrote:
Yeah.
Really?

melanieB

New

Post by melanieB » Sun May 02, 2010 2:55 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:OP's statement about part-time employment raised a question in my mind. Doesn't the ABA prohibit full-time first year law students from holding jobs?
According to my admission letter, 1Ls can't work for more than 20 hours a week.

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Sun May 02, 2010 2:57 pm

melanieB wrote:Thanks I hope so.

And I've had a day to sleep over it, and I think I'll take the more positive advice I've received thus far and hope for the best on Monday. Also in terms of payment, since I live in NY it would be $5,975 a semester meaning $11,950 a year. I have a $2000 scholarship (so far, still applying for more though I'm not expecting anything) AND I'm living with my lovely parents which equals free living and a father who insists on buying me metrocards :wink: . Which makes transportation free. There's also NY TAP that I'm waiting to hear from and CUNY's financial aid packer. So overall if I calculate it, it will be about 9,950 a year for me. I have a part-time job offer from an old boss and if I take it (still contemplating whether I should work my first year), then I could pay off most of the tuition per year. :mrgreen: So no, I would not be in crippling debt. Honestly, money doesn't matter to me. I've lived without much money all my life and if I have to do the same the rest of my life so be it. I care more about doing a job that I believe is meaningful to my life.
OP, based on what you've said I think you're making a smart decision. I'm somewhat of a prestige-whore so it's not a decision I would've made but I think that based on your financial situation, living situation, and modest career goals you've made a smart choice. I'm sure they'll take your money and let you deposit. Good luck!

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Sun May 02, 2010 3:00 pm

melanieB wrote:
rad law wrote:I didn't read all the responses, but there's really nothing you can do now. I bet they'll take the money. Just for comparison, Emory sent me an email about a couple weeks after the deposit deadline wanting to know what was up with me, and whether I would be attending. This was after I had send a nice email withdrawing on April 13th or so I think. Just call them and ask if you get your seat.
Thanks I hope so.

And I've had a day to sleep over it, and I think I'll take the more positive advice I've received thus far and hope for the best on Monday. Also in terms of payment, since I live in NY it would be $5,975 a semester meaning $11,950 a year. I have a $2000 scholarship (so far, still applying for more though I'm not expecting anything) AND I'm living with my lovely parents which equals free living and a father who insists on buying me metrocards :wink: . Which makes transportation free. There's also NY TAP that I'm waiting to hear from and CUNY's financial aid packer. So overall if I calculate it, it will be about 9,950 a year for me. I have a part-time job offer from an old boss and if I take it (still contemplating whether I should work my first year), then I could pay off most of the tuition per year. :mrgreen: So no, I would not be in crippling debt. Honestly, money doesn't matter to me. I've lived without much money all my life and if I have to do the same the rest of my life so be it. I care more about doing a job that I believe is meaningful to my life.
You are in an infinitely better position than a majority of law school students. :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sun May 02, 2010 3:07 pm

ITT: gwuorbust shows his arrogance by lying about whether or not he knew op was in-state in a pathetic attempt to redeem himself while getting absolutely pwned by newyorker88.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Sun May 02, 2010 3:11 pm

A'nold wrote:ITT: gwuorbust shows his arrogance by lying about whether or not he knew op was in-state in a pathetic attempt to redeem himself while getting absolutely pwned by newyorker88.
A'nold, I normally really like your posts but I think this is a bit over-the-top. At no point did OP say s/he was in-state until her big clarifying paragraph (which was after the pissing match). The only thing that would provide some sort of evidence of NY residency was the OP asking if s/he should take the check directly to the office on Monday and even then, OP could just be living in NY without being a resident.

PhantaManta

Bronze

Post by PhantaManta » Sun May 02, 2010 3:19 pm

I don't know how much experience other posters in this thread have with this, but I think some schools will be lenient about this. My anecdotal evidence: I was unsure about whether I was going to deposit at School X and really wasn't sure up til the deposit deadline, which I let pass, and then they sent me an email basically saying I could still go there... so... ???

BTW: I know it is bad form to let deposit deadline pass, I sent an apologetic email informing them of my decision after I got the above email, but I still felt like a jerk :(
Last edited by PhantaManta on Sun May 02, 2010 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Sun May 02, 2010 3:19 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:
A'nold wrote:ITT: gwuorbust shows his arrogance by lying about whether or not he knew op was in-state in a pathetic attempt to redeem himself while getting absolutely pwned by newyorker88.
A'nold, I normally really like your posts but I think this is a bit over-the-top. At no point did OP say s/he was in-state until her big clarifying paragraph (which was after the pissing match). The only thing that would provide some sort of evidence of NY residency was the OP asking if s/he should take the check directly to the office on Monday and even then, OP could just be living in NY without being a resident.
Whether he knew she was instate or not is irrelevant. I clearly stated in-state tuition was $10,000 per year. He said that wasn't true. No matter how you slice it he's wrong.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”