Motorcycle in LS ?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
notanumber
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Motorcycle in LS ?

Postby notanumber » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:26 pm

sharpnsmooth wrote:how much it costs to insure a motorcycle?


It totally depends on where you are, the kind of bike you own, the kind of mileage you put on it, and your age/sex/record.

I'd call around and get some hypothetical quotes. . . .

User avatar
Always Credited
Posts: 2509
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: Motorcycle in LS ?

Postby Always Credited » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:27 pm

solotee wrote:
Burnsie wrote:I am contemplating the same thing, as motorcycle parking is so much cheaper. I however live in a dry state (NM). It rains ALOT more where you are. Increasing accident potential. I have not yet convinced myself I need one. I like the idea, but I work in an environment where I see horrible accidents all the time, so I have fears.

It is not an if you wreck type question, but when. Take into account that it doesn't matter how well you drive, but how bad others do. You will be safer if you never have to drive up onto a highway/somewhere where cars move faster.


It does matter how well you drive. When on a motorcycle, you should constantly be on the lookout for potential hazardous scenarios and pre-determine what you will do in a situation where the driver of another vehicle is not paying attention.

For example, when I'm approaching an intersection where the oncoming vehicle is trying to turn left, I always slow down, cover the clutch, and look for alternative routes in case the driver fails to see me. After a while, it becomes a system.


This is entirely off topic, but fuck Tulane. Stick to your handle and wait for GWU if its what you really want...even if it takes an extra year. Just sayin' :wink:

the lantern
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 8:47 am

Re: Motorcycle in LS ?

Postby the lantern » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:29 pm

I was going to take my motorcycle to LS until my friend totalled it. I think it'd be great. If I were you, I'd be incredibly nervous learning how to ride one in a big city with lots of traffic though.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Motorcycle in LS ?

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:37 pm

notanumber wrote:Gotta disagree with you here. Scooters are not safer than motorcycles. Sure, the squid who buys a YZF-R1 is probably not long for this world, but a Vespa and something like an entry level ninja probably have similar accident profiles. . . .

In fact, the scooter might even be more dangerous because people are more likely to treat it as a toy. . .

And a question for all of you who ride in cold climates: Is it possible to keep a bike outside over winter? If not, how do you store them without a garage?


Let me re-qualify my statement, scooter is less deadly (my definition of safer) because if you crash at 25MHP you are much more likely to make out alive than say 65MPH. If you are on a 600cc or above sport bike, you can reach 65MPH in FIRST gear (out of 6). I think when I ride in the city I can reach 70 between lights. You are not going to be able to do that on a scooter.

You can keep a bike outside, you don't even have to cover it. Although a cover would e nice, they have ones that you can do a cable lock through the bottom so people can't see easily what kind of bike it is underneath. If you are going to get a bike to store outside in the winter, buy a fuel injected one. Carbs don't work too well in the winter time, and when you leave it sitting for too long, fuel temp to leave residues that will need to be cleaned out. In contrast, fuel does not stay in throttle bodies on FI bikes, so less likely to not work when you try to start it in 3 months.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Motorcycle in LS ?

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:40 pm

notanumber wrote:
sharpnsmooth wrote:how much it costs to insure a motorcycle?


It totally depends on where you are, the kind of bike you own, the kind of mileage you put on it, and your age/sex/record.

I'd call around and get some hypothetical quotes. . . .


A lot for full coverage (I have been quoted for over the cost of the bike). <$200 for liability. (bikes don't cause too much property damage when crashed into other things).

One option, at least with Progressive, is to buy comprehensive but not collision. So you have theft coverage but not accident. It is pretty cheap to add comprehensive.

User avatar
shepdawg
Posts: 477
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Motorcycle in LS ?

Postby shepdawg » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:41 pm

I am thinking about getting a cheap scooter, because there is NO parking in downtown San Diego. I will first try just using a bicycle to get to school, and get a scooter if I end up wasting too much time biking.

sharpnsmooth
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Motorcycle in LS ?

Postby sharpnsmooth » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:44 pm

shepdawg wrote:I am thinking about getting a cheap scooter, because there is NO parking in downtown San Diego. I will first try just using a bicycle to get to school, and get a scooter if I end up wasting too much time biking.


i'm a big advocate for that as long as you're confident, you'll always look good... but a man on a scooter. idk. gluck macking w that.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Motorcycle in LS ?

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:45 pm

mirpanda wrote:Thanks! I will check into the Z1000R and KTMs. I just think the Monster is sexy and I have to admit, a part of me is attracted to it simply b/c it's a Ducati and Italian. I see so many Japanese bikes on the road and I guess I wanted something... different. But I will seriously consider the bikes you mentioned.

Thanks again for your help!


KTM Superduke
Image

K1000 (sorry no R, I forgot)
--ImageRemoved--

notanumber
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Motorcycle in LS ?

Postby notanumber » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:50 pm

Thanks for the winter info. I've been debating bringing my toys to law school, and winter riding has been a sticking point. . .

r6_philly wrote: I think when I ride in the city I can reach 70 between lights. You are not going to be able to do that on a scooter.


It wasn't between lights, but I've coaxed a kitted Vespa p200 up to 75mph :D

I agree that the potential for a beginner to get in over their head on a vespa is a bit smaller than it is on a sportbike, but I guess I just bristle at the whole 'scooters are safe' sentiment that a lot of new riders seems to get. I know of at least three people who were killed on scooters and countless other folk who have been seriously injured. I've never been in an accident on a motorcycle but I crashed on a Vespa once at 45+mph and was VERY lucky to have walked away. . .

Even if one is just getting a scooter, one should still take an MSF course and ride slowly and defensively.

notanumber
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Motorcycle in LS ?

Postby notanumber » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:57 pm

sharpnsmooth wrote:
shepdawg wrote:I am thinking about getting a cheap scooter, because there is NO parking in downtown San Diego. I will first try just using a bicycle to get to school, and get a scooter if I end up wasting too much time biking.


i'm a big advocate for that as long as you're confident, you'll always look good... but a man on a scooter. idk. gluck macking w that.


Worked out pretty well for this guy:
Image

The guy in a suit on a vintage Vespa will always do better than a power-ranger wannabee on a puke-green monstrosity ;).
Last edited by notanumber on Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the lantern
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 8:47 am

Re: Motorcycle in LS ?

Postby the lantern » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:58 pm

r6_philly wrote:
notanumber wrote:
sharpnsmooth wrote:how much it costs to insure a motorcycle?


It totally depends on where you are, the kind of bike you own, the kind of mileage you put on it, and your age/sex/record.

I'd call around and get some hypothetical quotes. . . .


A lot for full coverage (I have been quoted for over the cost of the bike). <$200 for liability. (bikes don't cause too much property damage when crashed into other things).

One option, at least with Progressive, is to buy comprehensive but not collision. So you have theft coverage but not accident. It is pretty cheap to add comprehensive.



There is a drastic DRASTIC difference in bike insurance rates if you are under 25 (even moreso than cars). Full coverage on my bike (worth like $5000 used) was only a couple hundred dollars a year. If you get quotes online at Esurance or GEICO all those places will rip you off. They were quoting me like 5x what State Farm was quoting (I get my car/renter's insurance at State Farm as well).

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Motorcycle in LS ?

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:07 pm

the lantern wrote:
There is a drastic DRASTIC difference in bike insurance rates if you are under 25 (even moreso than cars). Full coverage on my bike (worth like $5000 used) was only a couple hundred dollars a year. If you get quotes online at Esurance or GEICO all those places will rip you off. They were quoting me like 5x what State Farm was quoting (I get my car/renter's insurance at State Farm as well).



I have a A1A rating for my auto insurance (no claims, no tickets, no nothing) but I can't get good price on bikes because of the proximity to philly. I am also 33 and with 10+ years or experience. State Farm would not underwrite motorcycles in my area, and neither would Nationwide.

I don't need collision anyway, I can fix any collison damage next to nothing, I have same access to parts as dealers because I own a shop (defunct but I still have all the accounts). Actually if any of you need parts let me know.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Motorcycle in LS ?

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:13 pm

notanumber wrote:Thanks for the winter info. I've been debating bringing my toys to law school, and winter riding has been a sticking point. . .


Shame I did not cut it, we would have been in good company. I was planning to bring my toys too. I have Husky supermoto (SM610S) that would be perfect for NH. I have racing rain tires on which should work even in slush/shallow snow.

The guy in a suit on a vintage Vespa will always do better than a power-ranger wannabee on a puke-green monstrosity .


What's with the personal insult??? :lol: I raced for Kawasaki on Team Green... So you describe me to a T!

Here is me on the puke-green monstrosity with a power-ranger suit :mrgreen:
--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
drdolittle
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:15 am

Re: Motorcycle in LS ?

Postby drdolittle » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:13 pm

I'll defer to r6_philly here since he's truly an expert. But in my more limited experience, I rode a motorcycle in LA for years, did not have a car, it was my sole mode of transportation throughout SoCal. I loved it. In general, bikes offer better performance, maneuverability, visibility, and overall riding enjoyment compared to cars. Thankfully, I never had a major accident, but I did have many near misses where I felt lucky to avoid something truly disastrous. Nearly every one of these incidents happened on surface streets. As I got a little older, some of my riding friends/acquaintances eventually got into more serious wrecks with injuries. I eventually got a car and gave up MC riding in traffic for good. I've even heard of some pro riders who refuse to ride with cars/in traffic because it's way riskier than the track, fwiw.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Motorcycle in LS ?

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:20 pm

drdolittle wrote:I'll defer to r6_philly here since he's truly an expert. But in my more limited experience, I rode a motorcycle in LA for years, did not have a car, it was my sole mode of transportation throughout SoCal. I loved it. In general, bikes offer better performance, maneuverability, visibility, and overall riding enjoyment compared to cars. Thankfully, I never had a major accident, but I did have many near misses where I felt lucky to avoid something truly disastrous. Nearly every one of these incidents happened on surface streets. As I got a little older, some of my riding friends/acquaintances eventually got into more serious wrecks with injuries. I eventually got a car and gave up MC riding in traffic for good. I've even heard of some pro riders who refuse to ride with cars/in traffic because it's way riskier than the track, fwiw.


I am a squid at heart so I never gave up. But I do have many friends who do not own streetbikes. I also know some contracts forbid riders from riding on the street for safety reasons.

Most people with some sense will enjoy a lifetime of motorcycling without any problems. But I can't lie to say that the chances of getting in trouble on bikes are less than in cars. I drive to school everyday (an hour away) because I can drink coffee and listen to music at the same time. Riding is a hobby at this point and I mostly do it on the track. But commuting from a dorm to class would be awesome on the bike.

Whatever you do, take the MSF course, then ride responsibly, limit your risks (an be aware that there are higher risks to riding than driving).

User avatar
shepdawg
Posts: 477
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Motorcycle in LS ?

Postby shepdawg » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:22 pm

sharpnsmooth wrote:
i'm a big advocate for that as long as you're confident, you'll always look good... but a man on a scooter. idk. gluck macking w that.

Macking is not a pursuit of mine. A nerd on a scooter looks way cooler than some dork on a Hyabusa Whatever bike that just screams "I'm looking for a place to die."

the lantern
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 8:47 am

Re: Motorcycle in LS ?

Postby the lantern » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:29 pm

Yeah you say that, then you will have some guy riding your ass and a car right in front of you and you won't have the power to get around the car comfortably. Also, riding on windy days on scooters = not fun. I don't know how people can feel safe on those things.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Motorcycle in LS ?

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:30 pm

shepdawg wrote:
sharpnsmooth wrote:
i'm a big advocate for that as long as you're confident, you'll always look good... but a man on a scooter. idk. gluck macking w that.

Macking is not a pursuit of mine. A nerd on a scooter looks way cooler than some dork on a Hyabusa Whatever bike that just screams "I'm looking for a place to die."


Plus, the MotoGP World Champion likes scooters just fine!

Image

:mrgreen: I like this thread ... on a LS forum!

User avatar
mirpanda
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Motorcycle in LS ?

Postby mirpanda » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:32 pm

"With great power comes great responsibility."

Just because you have the power, doesn't mean you have to use it. Be smart. But when you have an open stretch of road with no one around, max that baby out and enjoy the adrenaline rush! You'd never be able to do that with a scooter.

Edit: Just for clarity's sake, I was referring to "Hyabusa Whatever bike that just screams 'I'm looking for a place to die'" super sport hatin'. :wink:

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Motorcycle in LS ?

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:37 pm

mirpanda wrote:"With great power comes great responsibility."

Just because you have the power, doesn't mean you have to use it. Be smart. But when you have an open stretch of road with no one around, max that baby out and enjoy the adrenaline rush! You'd never be able to do that with a scooter.


We race mini's in parking lots. I served as the race director/head referee for a scooter racing series. You can go pretty fast and have some serious fun on them.

I get just as much enjoyment out of my KLX110 as my bike bikes. Actually more so sometimes because you can loop the thing and not get a scratch.

User avatar
mirpanda
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Motorcycle in LS ?

Postby mirpanda » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:41 pm

r6_philly wrote:
mirpanda wrote:"With great power comes great responsibility."

Just because you have the power, doesn't mean you have to use it. Be smart. But when you have an open stretch of road with no one around, max that baby out and enjoy the adrenaline rush! You'd never be able to do that with a scooter.


We race mini's in parking lots. I served as the race director/head referee for a scooter racing series. You can go pretty fast and have some serious fun on them.

I get just as much enjoyment out of my KLX110 as my bike bikes. Actually more so sometimes because you can loop the thing and not get a scratch.


Haha, scooter races. You're the expert r6_philly, so I take your word on the amusement factor. :wink: BTW, thanks for the bike pics!

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Motorcycle in LS ?

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:56 pm

mirpanda wrote:Haha, scooter races. You're the expert r6_philly, so I take your word on the amusement factor. :wink: BTW, thanks for the bike pics!


It's actually pretty fun. We get kids started on mini's and dirtbikes here, in Europe many start on scooters. I think some of the GP riders at one point or another raced scooters before.

--ImageRemoved--

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Motorcycle in LS ?

Postby shock259 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:05 pm

I've been riding for over 3 years. I started with a Ninja 500 and I think it is a perfect starter bike. I haven't ever been down/never have dropped my bike/never been in an accident. It's certainly due in part to my bike choice. There have been a number of times that I probably should have been eating pavement, but my bike's forgiveness kept me upright.

I bought mine for $2600 with 8k miles. I am hoping to sell it for $2000 with 20k miles. It's still in great condition and I have done nothing on it except for oil changes, new tires, and new set of brakes. It's a trooper. It gets 50-60 mpg. I also pay $200 a year for insurance from Progressive (comprehensive included, so if my bike gets stolen, I have a $500 deductible for the original value of it).

I think I'm finally going to upgrade at some point in the next year or so, but I've absolutely loved having this as my first bike. It's the best of every world: It's fast as fuck relative to a car, good gas mileage, and cheap. Can't ask for more.

Speaking generally, take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. It's an absolute must if you don't want to end up as roadkill.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Motorcycle in LS ?

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:17 pm

shock259 wrote:Speaking generally, take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. It's an absolute must if you don't want to end up as roadkill.


Just be aware that some of the things they teach are absolutely basic skills and does NOT apply in more advanced riding situations.

For example, at speed you have to counter steer and not counter lean, but at slow speed you have to turn to the direction of travel and counter learn (because you will not be able to lean to the inside of the turn). At higher speeds using the rear brakes could cause you to lose control. I think most things they teach apply to 30 mph or less. To go faster safely you have learn a whole new set of skills.

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Motorcycle in LS ?

Postby shock259 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:23 pm

That's true. Still, it's an absolutely wonderful way for a new rider to get acquainted with the basics. The course can turn someone that doesn't know how to turn a bike on into someone who is making emergency evasive maneuvers at decent speeds. It gives you the confidence you need to ride, in my opinion. And it also gives you the proper mindset of scanning and being alert that can keep you alive.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bellaboo, Bing [Bot], Lawl_Schoolz, mjb447, WamBamThankYouMaam and 6 guests