Motorcycle in LS ?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gwuorbust

Motorcycle in LS ?

Postby gwuorbust » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:27 pm

Hey all,

So there is a good chance I will be going to Tulane in the Fall unless I get off a WL (plz GWU, if you are reading this, let me in!!!). As you may know parking in LANO is pretty difficult and I plan on living off campus.. so will need to commute to campus each day. I thought about a bicycle but am not really feeling it. Could do a car, but hard to park. And will not do LANO public transport.

So what about a motorcycle ? I have never owned one but think I would like to to. How about safety... is it too much of a risk?

Burnsie

Re: Motorcycle in LS ?

Postby Burnsie » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:39 pm

I am contemplating the same thing, as motorcycle parking is so much cheaper. I however live in a dry state (NM). It rains ALOT more where you are. Increasing accident potential. I have not yet convinced myself I need one. I like the idea, but I work in an environment where I see horrible accidents all the time, so I have fears.

It is not an if you wreck type question, but when. Take into account that it doesn't matter how well you drive, but how bad others do. You will be safer if you never have to drive up onto a highway/somewhere where cars move faster.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:49 pm

You can always get a scooter. It is not macho but very practical. Safer and less likely to get stolen.

I have been riding/racing/instructing motorcycles for 10+ years. if you guys want some specific advice feel free to ask.

If you are green, there are actually decent plug-in elec. scooters.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:52 pm

Burnsie wrote:It is not an if you wreck type question, but when. Take into account that it doesn't matter how well you drive, but how bad others do. You will be safer if you never have to drive up onto a highway/somewhere where cars move faster.

Actually, the number 1 cause of all motorcycle accidents involving death and serious injury is loss of control by the operator.

The number 1 cause of accidents involving other vehicles is a car turning left infront of you. Because at lower speeds on local roads people tend to drive in a more lax manner, and because closer to people's homes and familiar roads people tend to not pay attention to their surroundings, it is more likely for a car driver to not observe an oncoming motorcycle and turn left in front of them, usually causing death and serious injuries. Highway is MUCH safer.

ReelectClayDavis

Postby ReelectClayDavis » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:02 pm

Been thinking about this too. My drive to LS will be about 3 miles, and will only require very brief time on a road over 25 mph. A car or even a motorcycle seems like overkill for this commute.

I'm thinking about getting a moped with a 50cc engine, because my jurisdiction requires neither a special license nor insurance for a vehicle with a 50cc or smaller engine.

Would also consider an electric bike, if any of them are worth it. I imagine an advantage of these over mopeds is that these can be chained to most bike racks and ridden on sidewalks, while mopeds cannot?

Anyone with some experience know of a 50cc moped or electric bike that will perform enough for the 20-25 mph, 6 miles round trip I will do?
Last edited by ReelectClayDavis on Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:05 pm

r6_philly wrote:You can always get a scooter. It is not macho but very practical. Safer and less likely to get stolen.

I have been riding/racing/instructing motorcycles for 10+ years. if you guys want some specific advice feel free to ask.

Is there any way to reduce the risk of theft? I know about LowJack, but what about anti-theft devices for motorcycles?

Burnsie

Postby Burnsie » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:13 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Burnsie wrote:It is not an if you wreck type question, but when. Take into account that it doesn't matter how well you drive, but how bad others do. You will be safer if you never have to drive up onto a highway/somewhere where cars move faster.

Actually, the number 1 cause of all motorcycle accidents involving death and serious injury is loss of control by the operator.

The number 1 cause of accidents involving other vehicles is a car turning left infront of you. Because at lower speeds on local roads people tend to drive in a more lax manner, and because closer to people's homes and familiar roads people tend to not pay attention to their surroundings, it is more likely for a car driver to not observe an oncoming motorcycle and turn left in front of them, usually causing death and serious injuries. Highway is MUCH safer.

I believe you in there are more accidents in town. I am going solely on personal experience, not actual statistics, regarding safer places to drive. I have just personally seen more catastrophic injuries/fatalities on highways as opposed to in town. I have also heard many times that the heavier the bike the safer it is (ie able to maintain when hitting debris on highway, getting hit by vehicles, etc). Is this true? I am curious because it would change the way I am currently shopping... ( ie I am looking for a motorcycle now rather than a scooter because I have been told it is safer). Any insights would be awesome, seems you are in the know!

solotee

Postby solotee » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:27 pm

Burnsie wrote:I am contemplating the same thing, as motorcycle parking is so much cheaper. I however live in a dry state (NM). It rains ALOT more where you are. Increasing accident potential. I have not yet convinced myself I need one. I like the idea, but I work in an environment where I see horrible accidents all the time, so I have fears.

It is not an if you wreck type question, but when. Take into account that it doesn't matter how well you drive, but how bad others do. You will be safer if you never have to drive up onto a highway/somewhere where cars move faster.

It does matter how well you drive. When on a motorcycle, you should constantly be on the lookout for potential hazardous scenarios and pre-determine what you will do in a situation where the driver of another vehicle is not paying attention.

For example, when I'm approaching an intersection where the oncoming vehicle is trying to turn left, I always slow down, cover the clutch, and look for alternative routes in case the driver fails to see me. After a while, it becomes a system.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:29 pm

Burnsie wrote:I believe you in there are more accidents in town. I am going solely on personal experience, not actual statistics, regarding safer places to drive. I have just personally seen more catastrophic injuries/fatalities on highways as opposed to in town. I have also heard many times that the heavier the bike the safer it is (ie able to maintain when hitting debris on highway, getting hit by vehicles, etc). Is this true? I am curious because it would change the way I am currently shopping... ( ie I am looking for a motorcycle now rather than a scooter because I have been told it is safer). Any insights would be awesome, seems you are in the know!

Heavier bikes negate some of the natural advantages of motorcycles: agility and acceleration. When you have a lighter bike, you can accelerate out of trouble, or swerve out of trouble. When you have a heavier bike, such as a Harley or a Goldwing type of touring bike, they operate like a car almost, and it is easier to get stuck in a bad situation. Sportbikes are easier to operate but also more likely to get in trouble because of the high rate of speed that people can operate them at. But TBF, if you are comparing 2 bikes at the SAME SPEED, I would always take the lighter bike, because 1. has smaller turning radius 2. takes less effort to change speed/direction 3. (very important) takes a LOT less distance to stop.

So since some of you are really just considering bikes, here is a primer. There are several categories of bikes for people that rides them:

From sportiness to not:
- Sportbikes
- Sport touring
- Standards
- Cruisers
- Heavy cruisers
- touring

I have extensively ridden the top 3 categories. I have personally tested/ridden every make/model (including some really exotic ones :) ) in the first 2 categories. I feel like it is safer to ride the more capable bikes. But since they can go much faster quickly, you get in trouble in comparison with the other bikes, but it is not a fair comparison because operator is to blame more than the bikes.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:31 pm

solotee wrote:It does matter how well you drive. When on a motorcycle, you should constantly be on the lookout for potential hazardous scenarios and pre-determine what you will do in a situation where the driver of another vehicle is not paying attention.

For example, when I'm approaching an intersection where the oncoming vehicle is trying to turn left, I always slow down, cover the clutch, and look for alternative routes in case the driver fails to see me. After a while, it becomes a system.

Problem is many people don't signal when they don't see oncoming vehicles. So you can't always know who is trying to turn left. It's worse at stop signs because people don't always realize there is another vehicle at the intersection, so the stop sign is giving the rider a false sense of safety.

Burnsie

Postby Burnsie » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:33 pm

Thanks so much! I really appreciate the info. I am thinking triumph bonneville or thruxton

solotee

Postby solotee » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:36 pm

r6_philly wrote:
solotee wrote:It does matter how well you drive. When on a motorcycle, you should constantly be on the lookout for potential hazardous scenarios and pre-determine what you will do in a situation where the driver of another vehicle is not paying attention.

Problem is many people don't signal when they don't see oncoming vehicles. So you can't always know who is trying to turn left. It's worse at stop signs because people don't always realize there is another vehicle at the intersection, so the stop sign is giving the rider a false sense of safety.

I assume the worst. If I see a slowed vehicle, I try to predict all the ways it can turn. Out of my 3 years sporting an r6, I've definitely had some close calls with unaware drivers, but there's usually an escape route.

mirpanda

Postby mirpanda » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:38 pm

If you're new to motorcycles, I highly recommend that you take a beginner riders course through the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. I took one a couple of years ago to get my motorcycle license and my instructor was awesome. You spend 5 hours in a classroom setting and 10 hours on a controlled range learning how to handle the bike in various situations and how to do your best to avoid potentially dangerous situations.

Many people do get in accidents because they get in situations like hitting gravel, sand or water, or taking a curve too fast, etc. and they don't know how to handle it. Then there are other people on the road who are just not paying attention to you. They don't see you; they're looking at the next car. MSF does their best to teach you how to avoid or react to these situations when you can't avoid them. They also offer an experienced riders course to learn advanced techniques. http://www.msf-usa.org/index_new.cfm

Yeah, riding a motorcycle can be dangerous, but there are several things you can do to guard yourself and lower the risk. With that said, I say go for it! Motorcycles rock!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:39 pm

gwuorbust wrote:Is there any way to reduce the risk of theft? I know about LowJack, but what about anti-theft devices for motorcycles?

The best ways to reduce theft:

-Have an undesirable bike
-House it indoors
-Watch where you park

Anti theft devices are deterrants, and not good ones. Any chains/lock you buy can be circumvented by a pro in minutes. The ignition lock on the bikes are inconviniences only. I provided mech. services at track meets. People would trailer their bikes to the track and forget the keys all the time, so they come to me to by pass the lock. I can get a bike started with a key in less than a minute without tools. The ignition lock itself can be taken out of the bike in a minute or so if you have a cordless drill (you don't have to take it out to start and ride it).

LoJack doesn't work too well because there isn't so many places to hide it. There was this theft operation here that used to ride around with a van and look for bikes. they would load the bike into their van (2 person, 10 seconds) then take it apart while driving around. They would get rid of whatever anti theft device and throw it out. Pretty useless.

So the best defense is to have a bike people don't want to steal ;)

mirpanda

Postby mirpanda » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:43 pm

r6_philly, do you have any experience with Ducatis? I'm really interested in the Monster and was wondering if you had any opinion/insight on the bike?

ApexChaser

Postby ApexChaser » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:43 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
Is there any way to reduce the risk of theft? I know about LowJack, but what about anti-theft devices for motorcycles?

Lojack requires 1) police forces to be equipped with detectors and 2) a unit nearby your stolen bike.

The only real option is comprehensive insurance. Bikes are just too easy to steal and there are many methods to get around locks. A friend had his brake disc lock pried apart like a taco with some kind of hydraulic/mechanical spreader. Another reason for insurance is that bikes are easily tampered with. A neighbor of mine had his bike knocked over, and after repairs the bike was vandalized with the entire wiring harness cut just to steal the battery.

Bike stolen in 30 seconds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D96QM-lzLM8

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:44 pm

solotee wrote:I assume the worst. If I see a slowed vehicle, I try to predict all the ways it can turn. Out of my 3 years sporting an r6, I've definitely had some close calls with unaware drivers, but there's usually an escape route.

ha! Finally someone who gets my username lol

I have only been hit by a car once, and I didn't fall (now that's lucky). I have fallen 5 times I think on the street all within the first year. I have crashed over 20 times on the track though and destroyed more than 10 bikes so I know pretty much every way there is to get in trouble lol

I still have 7 of them 8) , I am planning to ride them to LS whenever I can.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:52 pm

mirpanda wrote:r6_philly, do you have any experience with Ducatis? I'm really interested in the Monster and was wondering if you had any opinion/insight on the bike?

We used to have Monster 600 and 900 as rentals on the track. I like the bikes but I wouldn't necessarily ride them everyday. The motors are smooth but twins give your hands more stress than 4's so long distance riding will give you more fatigue. Other than that they are nice bikes, easy to handle and pretty comfortable. Performance is subpar for the cc's and I believe you can get better milage out of 4's. They look awesome though for sport touring/sport standard bikes.

The biggest downside: price and repair cost. For the performance you are really just paying premium for the Italian name. They are not quite as reliable as Japanese 4's (well Honda/Yam at least lol) but replacement parts are more costly and the mechanics/shops that work on ducs are more costly.

If you like the monsters, also look into Kawasaki Z1000R, and the KTM line. They have more performance and still look great and are same types of bikes. The Kaw is great and doesn't look too Japanese and the I like the styling of the KTM's. Just don't get a single, they are worse than twins! I have a Husky Supermoto, great to buzz around town with but it is harsh on the wrists.

ApexChaser

Postby ApexChaser » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:58 pm

solotee wrote:I assume the worst. If I see a slowed vehicle, I try to predict all the ways it can turn. Out of my 3 years sporting an r6, I've definitely had some close calls with unaware drivers, but there's usually an escape route.

My view of "the worst" is constantly lowered by people on the road. Some things just can't be planned. How's this for unexpected:

My Dad, in the right lane of traffic, was 3/4th of the way (passing) alongside a car when the lady in the second lane realized she "needed" to get into a parking lot. Without any warning or signaling, she turns her car in HARD from the second lane of traffic :shock: and took out the entire front left of my Dad's truck. It's a good thing he was driving to work that morning and not riding.

And I do believe Berkeley has the worst drivers in the world, but I have had multiple cases where I am in the left lane of a one-way street and a driver turns right into me. It takes them a while to realize why the whole street is oncoming traffic. :roll: My closest call had the driver stop about a foot away from my bike.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:06 pm

gwuorbust wrote: Vespa in LS !! :D :D :D :D

FTFY

sharpnsmooth

Postby sharpnsmooth » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:07 pm

gwuorbust wrote:Hey all,

So there is a good chance I will be going to Tulane in the Fall unless I get off a WL (plz GWU, if you are reading this, let me in!!!). As you may know parking in LANO is pretty difficult and I plan on living off campus.. so will need to commute to campus each day. I thought about a bicycle but am not really feeling it. Could do a car, but hard to park. And will not do LANO public transport.

So what about a motorcycle ? I have never owned one but think I would like to to. How about safety... is it too much of a risk?

if you actually do have a motorcycle through law school, i will find you very cool.

i've heavily considered investing in a motorcycle, but largely, i see it as a bad transaction because if you don't also have a car what do you do when it rains? i feel like holding an umbrella in one hand and driving with the other might look pretty dumb... like mary poppins in a biker gang.

ApexChaser

Postby ApexChaser » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:14 pm

sharpnsmooth wrote:if you actually do have a motorcycle through law school, i will find you very cool.

i've heavily considered investing in a motorcycle, but largely, i see it as a bad transaction because if you don't also have a car what do you do when it rains? i feel like holding an umbrella in one hand and driving with the other might look pretty dumb... like mary poppins in a biker gang.

Fieldsheer Highland II. You slip in and out in under 30 seconds. It's waterproof fully armored, and you can wear normal clothes under it. Riding in the rain around town is not too bad.

Riding on unlit rural roads in rain and hail though.... that's another story.

sharpnsmooth

Postby sharpnsmooth » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:20 pm

ApexChaser wrote:
sharpnsmooth wrote:if you actually do have a motorcycle through law school, i will find you very cool.

Fieldsheer Highland II. You slip in and out in under 30 seconds. It's waterproof fully armored, and you can wear normal clothes under it. Riding in the rain around town is not too bad.

Riding on unlit rural roads in rain and hail though.... that's another story.

how much does it cost, and does anyone know how much it costs to insure a motorcycle? car insurance payments at $230 a month are a bigger expense than my actual car so i would not mind selling my car, and buying a bike. the one thing about me is i am a very aggressive guy, but not on the road. i physically never go over the speed limit, because of my phobia of how badly an accident can mess up your life so i'd probably be the most conservative trick free bike rider in the history of bike riders.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:25 pm

r6_philly wrote:You can always get a scooter. It is not macho but very practical. Safer and less likely to get stolen.

Gotta disagree with you here. Scooters are not safer than motorcycles. Sure, the squid who buys a YZF-R1 is probably not long for this world, but a Vespa and something like an entry level ninja probably have similar accident profiles. . . .

In fact, the scooter might even be more dangerous because people are more likely to treat it as a toy. . .

And a question for all of you who ride in cold climates: Is it possible to keep a bike outside over winter? If not, how do you store them without a garage?

mirpanda

Postby mirpanda » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:26 pm

r6_philly wrote:
mirpanda wrote:r6_philly, do you have any experience with Ducatis? I'm really interested in the Monster and was wondering if you had any opinion/insight on the bike?

We used to have Monster 600 and 900 as rentals on the track. I like the bikes but I wouldn't necessarily ride them everyday. The motors are smooth but twins give your hands more stress than 4's so long distance riding will give you more fatigue. Other than that they are nice bikes, easy to handle and pretty comfortable. Performance is subpar for the cc's and I believe you can get better milage out of 4's. They look awesome though for sport touring/sport standard bikes.

The biggest downside: price and repair cost. For the performance you are really just paying premium for the Italian name. They are not quite as reliable as Japanese 4's (well Honda/Yam at least lol) but replacement parts are more costly and the mechanics/shops that work on ducs are more costly.

If you like the monsters, also look into Kawasaki Z1000R, and the KTM line. They have more performance and still look great and are same types of bikes. The Kaw is great and doesn't look too Japanese and the I like the styling of the KTM's. Just don't get a single, they are worse than twins! I have a Husky Supermoto, great to buzz around town with but it is harsh on the wrists.

Thanks! I will check into the Z1000R and KTMs. I just think the Monster is sexy and I have to admit, a part of me is attracted to it simply b/c it's a Ducati and Italian. I see so many Japanese bikes on the road and I guess I wanted something... different. But I will seriously consider the bikes you mentioned.

Thanks again for your help!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”