what to write about in a 2nd LOCI? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jrobby6

Bronze

what to write about in a 2nd LOCI?

Post by jrobby6 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:21 am

I want to write a 2nd LOCI to, I guess, reconfirm my interest in a specific school. But I realized that not much has changed since I wrote the first. Is there anything specific that I should write about?

WhyBother?

Bronze

Re: what to write about in a 2nd LOCI?

Post by WhyBother? » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:37 am

FWIW, my pre-law advisor (a T5 alum, who called his alma mater that I am waitlisted at on my behalf) told me that numerous members of admissions committees have cautioned students against sending multiple letters. Their reasoning was that one well-written one is perfectly sufficient, and students more often hurt their application with the additional letters (whether they've run out of useful content, make some grammar mistake, etc) than help it. Admissions Committees are overwhelmed by files at this point in the process, and a heavier file is not necessarily better. That said, I don't think two letters is enough to outright annoy the Ad Com. If you're asking what to write in it, you probably don't have anything compelling enough to make it worth writing.

Is there any other way you can express interest in this school that you haven't done yet (like visit, interview, etc)?

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:38 am

"N****, I got this cheeseburger man... Man, I'll suck yo DICK!"

Unless you did something really cool or impressive lately, or you got scholarship money at a peer school or into a better school, what else can you really say..?

OnWisconsin

Bronze

Post by OnWisconsin » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:45 am

It might not be a bad idea to make something different occur.

If you haven't already visted the school (if it's a feasible option) you might try that or sit in on a class and then write about how that affects your view of the school.

If that's not an option maybe try to have meaningful phone conversation with an admissions officer or dean and then transform that into a LOCI II topic. However, I think this might be a difficult task.

jrobby6

Bronze

Post by jrobby6 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:51 am

The school that I am specifically referring to is Cornell. I sent a LOCI before there was a decision made on my app and this may have induced a reserve letter. I would love to visit but Ithaca is very far from me and I'm still completing my undergrad degree. So I can't just write a letter expressing interest in other specific programs, how I may diversify the school, etc?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:52 am

jrobby6 wrote:The school that I am specifically referring to is Cornell. I sent a LOCI before there was a decision made on my app and this may have induced a reserve letter. I would love to visit but Ithaca is very far from me and I'm still completing my undergrad degree. So I can't just write a letter expressing interest in other specific programs, how I may diversify the school, etc?
You haven't already talked about this extensively?

jrobby6

Bronze

Post by jrobby6 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:03 am

^Yes in regard to a specific program..but there are others that I have interest in. As for diversity, I spoke about it somewhat minamally. I tried to accentuate other aspects in my LOCI such as recent accomplishments.

WhyBother?

Bronze

Post by WhyBother? » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:40 pm

jrobby6 wrote:^Yes in regard to a specific program..but there are others that I have interest in. As for diversity, I spoke about it somewhat minamally. I tried to accentuate other aspects in my LOCI such as recent accomplishments.
Again, it's the recent accomplishments (or lack thereof) that determine whether you have content for a LOCI. If it's something worth updating, do it. But a letter that sounds like you are trying to stretch something insignificant for the sake of contacting them might do more harm than good.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”