Does study abroad look on a law school application?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cutecarmel

Does study abroad look on a law school application?

Postby cutecarmel » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:48 pm

I read some other posts, which said that study abroad would not look good on an application because it was just an excuse for upper middle class kids to visit Europe.
However, I am studying for a month and Spain this summer, and then later I am studying for a semester in Latin America. Will this make me stand out on an application if I am trying to gain fluency in Spanish? And how would I state this in my application? Would I add the other universities when I list my own?

Just in case you needed to know, I have a 4.0 at a slightly above average university-Loyola (which may go down, but not below a 3.9) and I got a 150something when I took a practice LSAT for the first time (without studying)

Dustin.

Re: Does study abroad look on a law school application?

Postby Dustin. » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:50 pm

It will have little to no effect on applications.

The most important thing you can do is to get a great LSAT score.

KG_CalGuy

Postby KG_CalGuy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:51 pm

As with all things on your application, it depends on how you sell it. I studied abroad in Rome but I went to a program for its academics and took standard coursework in international affairs, public international law, etc. at an accredited institution. You're summer program won't be of any value unless you indicate somehow in your application that your long-term interests are related to that proficiency in Spanish. Likewise, the Latin America program will only be useful depending on the coursework and how it fits into your narrative.
Last edited by KG_CalGuy on Wed May 05, 2010 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

GordonBombay

Postby GordonBombay » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:01 am

My last summer in college I had an internship that led to my job.

The first 2 summers I couldn't tell you what I did, but I wish I visited Europe for one of them.

I cant imagine anyone will hold spending a summer in Europe against you.

jc631

Postby jc631 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:02 am

I think, depending on the program, it could be a great soft. Two of the Deans who called to accept me commented/asked about the programs I participated in (one was traveling with a professor, another at a top university). I listed them both under institutions attended and explained the programs in greater detail on my resume.

creamedcats

Postby creamedcats » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:05 am

Depends what you did. A lot of programs ARE an excuse for kids to go and play. You can mention it, or not, in your PS, based on whether you are using it as part of your reason for going to law school or if you did something extraordinary like learning a second language or an unusual job, etc.

4.0 is nice. :) Keep studying for the LSAT. Study hard.

yeff

Postby yeff » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:06 am

Dustin. wrote:It will have little to no effect on applications.

The most important thing you can do is to get a great LSAT score.

+1.

OP, don't worry about it either way, enjoy your time abroad, try to grow as a person, and when the time comes, study your ass off to get a great LSAT score. A cold diagnostic in the mid-150s could certainly become a 170 or greater.

Postby 270910 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:27 am

Doesn't matter at all.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:29 am

? what the hell is going on in this thread

Study abroad absolutely matters, I'm convinced not studying abroad led to several rejections for me. In fact I really can't think of any other explanation.

Postby 270910 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:30 am

D. H2Oman wrote:? what the hell is going on in this thread

Study abroad absolutely matters, I'm convinced not studying abroad led to several rejections for me. In fact I really can't think of any other explanation.

Credited as usual.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Wed May 05, 2010 12:58 am

Thank you all for your comments. I'm going regardless of whether it will look good on my application, but I think it will be somewhat influential , especially if the decision is close. I guess if I talk about it in my PS, I'll just emphasize that I went to gain fluency...hopefully being semi-biligual will give me an edge on my competition.

Thanks again

Foxxtrot

Postby Foxxtrot » Wed May 05, 2010 1:10 am

Hey KG, just curious, did you go to John Cabot or AUR?

KG_CalGuy

Postby KG_CalGuy » Wed May 05, 2010 11:32 am

John Cabot

Edit: And I'll just say... it could've been better academically
Last edited by KG_CalGuy on Wed May 05, 2010 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irish017

Postby irish017 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:12 pm

I went to class once every 2 weeks when I saw abroad.

God, I've never partied harder.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Wed May 05, 2010 8:53 pm

Well I intend to pass...my purpose is to learn not just to vacation

irish017 wrote:I went to class once every 2 weeks when I saw abroad.

God, I've never partied harder.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed May 05, 2010 9:20 pm

cutecarmel wrote:Well I intend to pass...my purpose is to learn not just to vacation

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
They're so cute at that age!

lebob

Postby lebob » Wed May 05, 2010 9:29 pm

it wont hurt, but i wont help much either - i went abroad b/c i thought it'd give me at least a slight edge, but it didnt really happen

i went abroad for a semester, got good grades. in the end, i was accepted to every school that i should have been accepted to (based on LSAT median), and rejected from every school that i should have been rejected from.

own the lsat

Foxxtrot

Postby Foxxtrot » Thu May 06, 2010 3:22 pm

KG_CalGuy wrote:John Cabot

BOOOO!!! Forza Wolves! :P

fwaam

Postby fwaam » Thu May 06, 2010 10:35 pm

I studied abroad a lot and I think that it helped. It made me more interesting as an applicant. Some things to consider:

1) Depends on what you do there, and what you'd be doing if you were at home. While abroad, most people don't get jobs, and many people aren't involved in extracurricular/community activities. (In many countries, there just aren't lots of clubs and student activities like you see in the US.) If you are involved in something while abroad, it helps. If you aren't, that's okay too, but I could see it potentially hurting you if while at home you did some great volunteer work, were president of a student organization, etc.--or you were on track to do all that, but never did because you went abroad instead.

2) Depends on where you go. The most common countries--the UK, France, Australia, Italy and Spain--are probably the least interesting on an application. Non-English speaking is better. Non-European (or Australian) is better. I went to Latin America, one of the reasons I think it helped me. The more unusual and challenging your choice, the more you stand out.

3) Depends on what classes you take. If it's really obvious that they're joke classes, it might hurt you. If on the other hand, you're taking engineering classes in the local language with local students, that's pretty impressive. Classes with local students are better than classes specifically for internationals, and classes in English while in a non-English-speaking country are lame. Try not to let your transcript look like it was really a "semester off."

irish017

Postby irish017 » Fri May 07, 2010 3:44 pm

My classes were serious classes and I received good 'marks.'

But I stand by the previous statement that I've never partied harder.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sat May 08, 2010 12:52 am

cutecarmel wrote:Thank you all for your comments. I'm going regardless of whether it will look good on my application, but I think it will be somewhat influential , especially if the decision is close. I guess if I talk about it in my PS, I'll just emphasize that I went to gain fluency...hopefully being semi-biligual will give me an edge on my competition.

Thanks again

The things that give you an edge over your competition are the things your competition doesn't do. Sorry, but study abroad and studying a second language are really quite common. By all means go, but readjust your expectations of how special it looks in comparison to other applicants.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”