How to resolve this personal dilemma Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tru

Bronze

How to resolve this personal dilemma

Post by tru » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:39 pm

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: How to resolve this dilemma

Post by romothesavior » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:41 pm

This sounds like the script from Superbad, only a law school version.

Seriously though, you need to do what is best for you and your career. You will make friends in LS. This isn't meant to be harsh or offensive, but its time to grow up and act for yourself.

bk1

Diamond

Re: How to resolve this personal dilemma

Post by bk1 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:43 pm

If you "simply cannot afford 100k debt" means that you will not go into 6 figure debt no matter what then the only choice for you is to take the full ride?

Also, where your friends go should not be relevant.

tru

Bronze

Post by tru » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:43 pm

tru

Bronze

Post by tru » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:45 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:47 pm

One day, you will have to grow up and leave your old friends/comfort behind. Might as well be now?

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:50 pm

Daytukrjabs wrote:
romothesavior wrote:This sounds like the script from Superbad, only a law school version.

Seriously though, you need to do what is best for you and your career. You will make friends in LS. This isn't meant to be harsh or offensive, but its time to grow up and act for yourself.
right, I totally understand that. But I'm not a recent college grad (not that im old), and I sort of have a life here. I'm even starting to date this girl I really like. Having family, friends, community, etc was a big part of my life and I won't be able to have that on the weekly basis that I did. But then again I'm only an hour away.
I really want to say "Grow up!!" but honestly everyone has different priorities. You should seriously examine the notion that your social life is going to be central to the next three years. But paying sticker to go to a tier one in the region you want to practice probably isn't a disastrous decision, even if your motivations may seem odd to me.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:51 pm

Daytukrjabs wrote:
romothesavior wrote:This sounds like the script from Superbad, only a law school version.

right, I totally understand that. But I'm not a recent college grad (not that im old), and I sort of have a life here. I'm even starting to date this girl I really like. Having family, friends, community, etc was a big part of my life and I won't be able to have that on the weekly basis that I did. But then again I'm only an hour away.
An hour is nothing in relationship terms. I dated my high school girlfriend until last August (4 full years) and we were about an hour away. We ended up breaking up, but it had more to do with me being a f*cking idiot than with the distance. :x Seriously, you will find that one hour is not a big deal. I'm actually heading back to my hometown to play golf tomorrow morning on a moment's notice. An hour is nothing.

You will have plenty of time to see your friends and family, and you will make new friends at your school. If it was a cross-country move, I could understand it (as I turned down Cornell for this reason, among others), but an hour is nothing to fret about. If this is your best option, you should take it.

pugalicious

Bronze

Post by pugalicious » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:51 pm

If you're not a new grad, then you (presumably) have a job right now...why not take a year, retake and reapply for the school you think you want (maybe get some $) and then if/when you go there, you will have 2 close friends from whom to borrow notes, outlines, books, exams, etc. Win-win-win.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tru

Bronze

Post by tru » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:53 pm

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:54 pm

You can make new friends, it won't be easy but it is what you will have to do (if you want friends immediately around you). This doesn't mean you lose your old friends, but the reality of the matter is that you will have to separate from them eventually (in most cases). Yes, it is nice to have friends around you for another few years, but what happens when it comes to jobs? Are you going to choose a job based on where your friends get a job? This sort of mentality will severely limit you down the road and the sooner you break from it the more options you will have. You can still stay friends with these people but it means that you won't have as much time to spend with them. This will come no matter what because at some point, perhaps due to LS studying or working long hours, you will not have a lot of time to spend with them than before even if they are in the same place as you.

And a new relationship should not cloud where you go to LS. The thing to realize is that LS is going to dictate the direction upon which your life heads. Friends and relationships come and go, but you only go to law school once. Maybe this is a more utilitarian view than most, but when the differences in LS are drastic then I think it is the best attitude to take.

That being said, how different will your prospects be out of the two schools? Is it worth the significant amount more debt? If the schools are similar and you get off the WL then it comes down to paying $$$ versus being with your friends. I would say 100k is not worth it just to live 1hr closer to friends, but that is me.

pugalicious

Bronze

Post by pugalicious » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:56 pm

Daytukrjabs wrote:
pugalicious wrote:If you're not a new grad, then you (presumably) have a job right now...why not take a year, retake and reapply for the school you think you want (maybe get some $) and then if/when you go there, you will have 2 close friends from whom to borrow notes, outlines, books, exams, etc. Win-win-win.
That seems to be more on the irrational side for me. There's no guarantee I'll get the same scholly deal next year. I have to make decision with what's given at the moment.
So...what's the dilemma? I thought you didn't want the scholly school? I was saying that if you retook the LSAT, maybe you'd score higher and get into the school you want (since you are already on the bubble with them), and they'd give you some money? But, if you don't want to give up the scholarship, ever, then what are you asking everyone?

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:08 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tru

Bronze

Post by tru » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:15 pm

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:25 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

gochrisgo

Bronze

Post by gochrisgo » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:56 pm

Last edited by gochrisgo on Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:01 pm

gochrisgo wrote:
Daytukrjabs wrote:Would you guys take full scholly at a T1, and live 1-1.5 hrs away from home.

or

a slightly higher ranked school (5-10 at most, non T-14) on 25% scholly, but be able to live at home and maintain same life?
So, this is Davis vs. USC? I'd take the 25% scholly.
California geography fail. But point taken.

Perhaps ASU vs. UofA?

gochrisgo

Bronze

Post by gochrisgo » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:26 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”