Advice on Putting Off Law School?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
arh8426

Advice on Putting Off Law School?

Postby arh8426 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:30 pm

Here's my situation...

I took the LSAT in December (after a cancel in Sept), but retook in February. This caused my application to become complete on March 3rd at basically every school (besides some TTT schools that accepted me off gates), even though my apps were submitted in early January. I have been dinged at most of the other schools since I received the same LSAT score I did in Dec (158). My shitty GPA (about a 3) is not helping me, but neither is my apps becoming complete so late in the game. I am thinking about taking a year or 2 off, applying this upcoming cycle or the next. I am hoping to distance myself from this shitty situation brought upon by not taking shit serious and a less than ideal living situation. Also, during this time off i would have a real job (a 9-5 doing something related to business) and re-take the lsat, using a prep class.

I have a few questions...

What would you recommend doing in my situation, going to a TTT and hoping to transfer or waiting a year (or 2) and distance myself from this shitty situation?

Would my outcome be any different if i resubmitted essentially the same application (same GPA and LSAT), as soon as the application cycle opens?

BriaTharen

Re: Advice on Putting Off Law School?

Postby BriaTharen » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 pm

Study hard and RETAKE! That is the best thing you can do in your situation.

waxloaf

Postby waxloaf » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:33 pm

if you think you can do better on the lsat, then take it again, otherwise not sure what you could do in a year or two to make your app look better

arh8426

Postby arh8426 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:52 pm

JessicaTiger wrote:Study hard and RETAKE! That is the best thing you can do in your situation.

I have talked to some people and that is the general consensus I am getting. I hope ample time away will distance myself from my shitty performance.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:56 pm

arh8426 wrote:
JessicaTiger wrote:Study hard and RETAKE! That is the best thing you can do in your situation.

I have talked to some people and that is the general consensus I am getting. I hope ample time away will distance myself from my shitty performance.

Some time can give you some space between you and your GPA- but use that time productively. Take a class, or really put in some work on PTs. A great LSAT can help compensate for a poor GPA.

legalized

Postby legalized » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:26 pm

arh8426 wrote:Here's my situation...

I took the LSAT in December (after a cancel in Sept), but retook in February. This caused my application to become complete on March 3rd at basically every school (besides some TTT schools that accepted me off gates), even though my apps were submitted in early January. I have been dinged at most of the other schools since I received the same LSAT score I did in Dec (158). My shitty GPA (about a 3) is not helping me, but neither is my apps becoming complete so late in the game. I am thinking about taking a year or 2 off, applying this upcoming cycle or the next. I am hoping to distance myself from this shitty situation brought upon by not taking shit serious and a less than ideal living situation. Also, during this time off i would have a real job (a 9-5 doing something related to business) and re-take the lsat, using a prep class.

What would you recommend doing in my situation, going to a TTT and hoping to transfer or waiting a year (or 2) and distance myself from this shitty situation?

Would my outcome be any different if i resubmitted essentially the same application (same GPA and LSAT), as soon as the application cycle opens?

Jeez just retake in October and use the existing materials to apply THE DAY AFTER the scores come out on LSAC. Chill out. If your wife died or everything else was incomplete a year off would be good, like in my case, but no need to pause your career momentum so drastically because you are basically missing a high LSAT. If you want to save up to afford a class and still apply early in a cycle, then yeah, take the coming cycle off, save up over the summer for a course, and take the course in the fall, the LSAT in december, and let your stuff sit nice and complete til next fall and apply 9/1 and 9/15 as windows open.

2 years doesn't make sense. Oh, and don't put it off 2 years if you are what law firms seem to think of as "old" by the time you graduate AND pass the bar.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:44 pm

one year should be sufficient to master the LSAT to the best of your abilities and will distance you from your shiTTTy GPA.

but if you go to a TTT with the intent to transfer I feel that you are going to be in for a shock and that there is a good chance you will end up defending DUI cases for 40k a year.

smalltown

Postby smalltown » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:59 pm

I'd say take a year off just because you're in your early 20s, I assume? I'm so damn glad I didn't go to law school right after college. I worked full-time for most of college and couldn't have fathomed another three straight years of school, but I really just think people should take time off between. Do something other than school. I had no idea I was going to end up here, so I was busting my ass on another career, but I also just enjoyed being young. It's hard to explain, but if I was done with law school at 25 and realized I was just headed for that career path, I think I would have shit myself. There is something to be said for leading an unorthodox life for a while. It can be difficult during, but it also can be valuable down the road. And as far as being "old" to firms; 1) Don't always worry about working in some tight-ass office for your life. There is more to this profession then a cubicle in a high rise; and 2) Life and work experience can be just as valuable to employers. Try to do better on the LSAT, but think about the other things in life, too.

itsmytime10

Postby itsmytime10 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:21 pm

legalized wrote:
arh8426 wrote:Here's my situation...

Jeez just retake in October and use the existing materials to apply THE DAY AFTER the scores come out on LSAC. Chill out. If your wife died or everything else was incomplete a year off would be good, like in my case, but no need to pause your career momentum so drastically because you are basically missing a high LSAT. If you want to save up to afford a class and still apply early in a cycle, then yeah, take the coming cycle off, save up over the summer for a course, and take the course in the fall, the LSAT in december, and let your stuff sit nice and complete til next fall and apply 9/1 and 9/15 as windows open.

2 years doesn't make sense. Oh, and don't put it off 2 years if you are what law firms seem to think of as "old" by the time you graduate AND pass the bar.

Why would you think that? Aren't most NU grads considered "old" then....and they somehow seem to get law firm jobs more than any other school.

arh8426

Postby arh8426 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:55 pm

Thanks everyone for their replies. I am all but set on taking this cycle off and applying in one of the next cycles. I feel that the extra time will distance myself from these shitty stats and make me a better applicant. I do not feel that the extra time will make me "old" for big law, and the work experience will be beneficial.

I have a question about a relevant topic...

If I were to reapply in the upcoming cycles, could i reuse the same materials (PS, DS, LOR's, etc)?

Any other thoughts?

itsmytime10

Postby itsmytime10 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:58 pm

arh8426 wrote:Thanks everyone for their replies. I am all but set on taking this cycle off and applying in one of the next cycles. I feel that the extra time will distance myself from these shitty stats and make me a better applicant. I do not feel that the extra time will make me "old" for big law, and the work experience will be beneficial.

I have a question about a relevant topic...

If I were to reapply in the upcoming cycles, could i reuse the same materials (PS, DS, LOR's, etc)?

Any other thoughts?

U can but i would say that u shd leverage your WE by getting some LORs from your employer and maybe modifying
your PS to reflect this WE.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”