Canadian Admissions?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SHANbangs

Canadian Admissions?

Postby SHANbangs » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:27 am

Does anybody know anything about the admissions chances for Canadian chools? In particular, low-gpa high LSAT candidates?

For example, I currently have a 3.235 from University of Toronto and a 166. I'm lookign to pull that up to a 170+. I can't raise the gpa though, tha's final. My softs are decent (some nice internships and good writing extracurriculars), but nothing to write home about.

I'm looking at the following schools:
U of T (impossible, I know)
McGill
UBC
York/Osgoode
Queen's
Western Ontario

iShotFirst

Re: Canadian Admissions?

Postby iShotFirst » Sat May 01, 2010 10:04 pm

Check out lawstudents.ca

edit: I see you did that already. You pretty much know you have to get 170+ to have a chance at U of T. One thing to consider is that many Canadian schools disregard your worst year, so it may change your GPA.

MJMD

Re: Canadian Admissions?

Postby MJMD » Thu May 13, 2010 3:32 am

The best candidates for low GPA/high LSAT applications (and I know this, because I am one myself) are out west.

I see you went to U of T (so did I, though I don't know why you wouldn't come right out and say it). I had a similar split from there, although my CGPA was much smaller than the one you have listed. I only made it to a 3.2 with my best 2 years, which realistically put me in the running for Calgary, Saskatchewan, and a long shot at Alberta (the first two would probably accept you with your numbers, but Alberta would not). UBC and UVic are bad for splitters like yourself; McGill is probably out, since they don't even require an LSAT score, and therefore give it very little weight in considering applications (Ottawa too, for the same reason). And no one can ever really say that they're a "lock" at U of T or Osgoode, both notoriously picky schools.

I think you'd have a half-decent shot at Western or Queen's, though. But I really don't know.

Hopefully you've gone and visited ls.ca by now.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”