Do I have to Give Recommenders any Forms (like I did in HS?)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MagnumLifeStyle

Do I have to Give Recommenders any Forms (like I did in HS?)

Postby MagnumLifeStyle » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:57 am

I've registered for LSDAS and I'm cruising around the website, but I don't see any forms that I can download and give it to my recommenders (the way I did 3 years ago in high school from the CommonApps website, where the recommendation form had checkboxes and the recommender checked off each box).

Do such forms not exist for LSDAS? If so, how do i go about getting my recommenders to write letters of recommendation?

Thanks!! :D

kalvano

Re: Do I have to Give Recommenders any Forms (like I did in HS?)

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:03 am

They do. It should pop up when you enter your recommender's name.

MagnumLifeStyle

Postby MagnumLifeStyle » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:08 am

Thanks Kalvano. I put in my own name (just to see) and saw that an "example" popped up.
But do different schools all use the same recommendtation form?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:09 am

It's not set by the school, it's set by LSAC.

MagnumLifeStyle

Postby MagnumLifeStyle » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:14 am

Ahhh I see.
I'm asking this cuz..I remember that (when applying from high school) Yale and Columbia had their own unique systems of LOR whereas Harvard and other places all used the Common App LOR.
Thanks!

eldizknee

Postby eldizknee » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:41 am

Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:02 pm

eldizknee wrote:
MagnumLifeStyle wrote:Ahhh I see.
I'm asking this cuz..I remember that (when applying from high school) Yale and Columbia had their own unique systems of LOR whereas Harvard and other places all used the Common App LOR.
Thanks!

Pretty un-subtle "I [strike]went[/strike] applied to an Ivy UG" trolling.

legalized

Postby legalized » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:14 pm

MagnumLifeStyle wrote:I've registered for LSDAS and I'm cruising around the website, but I don't see any forms that I can download and give it to my recommenders (the way I did 3 years ago in high school from the CommonApps website, where the recommendation form had checkboxes and the recommender checked off each box).

Do such forms not exist for LSDAS? If so, how do i go about getting my recommenders to write letters of recommendation?

Thanks!! :D

The instructions for this are under the Letter of Recommendation section when you log in to LSAC.org.

Type in their name and contact information, and when you save their name, their form with their preprinted info is saved. Be aware of information that CANNOT be changed once you save it the first time, versus info that can, and make sure you have approvals from your recommenders before adding them and taking up space.

Then when you click on their name/line item, a .pdf or similar pops up with the pre-filledLSAC cover sheet, which you print, sign and do whatever else it instructs you to do, and mail out to the recommenders.

I am doing this from memory so please double-check everything I said by logging into your LSDAS account.

legalized

Postby legalized » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:19 pm

Thanks!

You really need to forget whatever you did before and

1. Read the LSAC website "cover to cover"
2. Make a list (on paper and/or the LSAC) of schools you want to go to and schools that nearly anyone can go to and plan your attempts to get in accordingly.
3. Visit the law school admissions page of each of the schools you want that fall in the T14 and see what they require, and note any ones that require unusual things such as dean's certification from your UG, or more than 2 letters of recommendation (as in, REQUIRE more than two, not allow more than two, I know some argumentative TLSer will jump in here and miss the difference), etc.

You need a law school folder or something to keep notes on this type of thing, or a section in your planner. Good luck.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:23 pm

legalized wrote:
Thanks!

You really need to forget whatever you did before and

1. Read the LSAC website "cover to cover"
2. Make a list (on paper and/or the LSAC) of schools you want to go to and schools that nearly anyone can go to and plan your attempts to get in accordingly.
3. Visit the law school admissions page of each of the schools you want that fall in the T14 and see what they require, and note any ones that require unusual things such as dean's certification from your UG, or more than 2 letters of recommendation (as in, REQUIRE more than two, not allow more than two, I know some argumentative TLSer will jump in here and miss the difference), etc.

You need a law school folder or something to keep notes on this type of thing, or a section in your planner. Good luck.
Wow. That's a lot of work. I just sent 3 letters everywhere and used lawschoolpredictor. Guess more prep can't hurt though.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:02 pm

Or just use Appreqs.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”