Chances of getting off SMU and UT Waitlists???

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
peeves4026

Chances of getting off SMU and UT Waitlists???

Postby peeves4026 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:50 am

Can anyone give any advice as to what are the chances of getting off waitlists at SMU and UT with 163, 3.7, SMU undergrad??? I'd love any advice!!!!!

Cactus

Re: Chances of getting off SMU and UT Waitlists???

Postby Cactus » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:50 pm

Numbers-wise, I don't love your chances at UT.

Numbers-wise, I don't know how you didn't get into SMU from 21 Jump Street, much less waitlist. With an LSAT in the 75th percentile, and a GPA a good deal above the median, I would put $20 down (given 2.5 to 1 odds) on you getting off the waitlist.

mcflooter06

Postby mcflooter06 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:06 pm

Cactus wrote:Numbers-wise, I don't love your chances at UT.

Numbers-wise, I don't know how you didn't get into SMU from 21 Jump Street, much less waitlist. With an LSAT in the 75th percentile, and a GPA a good deal above the median, I would put $20 down (given 2.5 to 1 odds) on you getting off the waitlist.

The 75th percentile at SMU is NOT 163, the median is a 164, and the median GPA is around 3.8. You're probably looking at the PT/FT numbers together, so unless this person is PT, I just don't see it.

OP, I don't think you have much of a shot at the UT waitlist, but there is a possibility for SMU, though I would not count on it, (being that you're below both medians), unless you're willing to wait until the day classes start. SMU is incredibly expensive for sticker, and I don't know that would be the best decision, either (though it is a fantastic school for Dallas). What other options are you looking at?

Cactus

Postby Cactus » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:17 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:

The 75th percentile at SMU is NOT 163, the median is a 164, and the median GPA is around 3.8. You're probably looking at the PT/FT numbers together, so unless this person is PT, I just don't see it.

My apologies, I stand corrected. For whatever reason I didn't think SMU had medians in that range. I just bounced over to LSN and the numbers seemed reasonable enough. I believe you're right though, LSN must combine their PT/FT numbers.

mcflooter06

Postby mcflooter06 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:20 pm

Cactus wrote:
mcflooter06 wrote:

My apologies, I stand corrected. For whatever reason I didn't think SMU had medians in that range. I just bounced over to LSN and the numbers seemed reasonable enough. I believe you're right though, LSN must combine their PT/FT numbers.

No problem, I know LSAC lumps them together sometimes ;)

peeves4026

Postby peeves4026 » Thu May 13, 2010 6:56 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:
Cactus wrote:
mcflooter06 wrote:

No problem, I know LSAC lumps them together sometimes ;)

Yeah thanks for the advice guys. I will probably be going to Baylor with a full scholarship next year. I know my chances at getting in a UT are slim to none, but was really surprised to be waitlisted at SMU (looking at lsn, it looks like they barely let anyone in that was even on their median... most were well above), especially being an undergrad at SMU. I probably will wait until the first day of classes for SMU and UT, since Baylor doesn't start until later in August. And I live in Dallas so I'll just figure it out when the time comes.

Thanks for the great input though! Love to hear any thoughts on Baylor!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu May 13, 2010 7:39 pm

Wait a year and re-apply to SMU early. You'll get in, with money.

peeves4026

Postby peeves4026 » Fri May 14, 2010 10:42 am

kalvano wrote:Wait a year and re-apply to SMU early. You'll get in, with money.

I actually did apply fairly early - I took the December LSAT, which I was told would disqualify me from early admission, however I got "held for further review" for early admission after submitting my application in mid December...

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Fri May 14, 2010 10:49 am

I sat on the UT WL all last summer with a 163 and about a 3.7 (resident too). I flew from overseas to tour and visit and sent in some LOCIs. Obviously, I didn't get off the WL. In fact, I think they said officially they didn't take anyone from the WL but there were people on TLS who did say they got in off of it. I hate to say it, but the odds of getting of the UT WL with these numbers is pretty slim.

Ginger1492

Postby Ginger1492 » Fri May 14, 2010 10:55 am

If you are a Texas resident hoping to practice in Texas, as I am, UT is the place to be. SMU is good too but regional to Dallas. I am also waitlisted at UT with only marginally higher numbers. I refuse to settle so I am retaking the LSAT in Oct. and re-applying to UT. If you can wait a year it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Btw, I had the Baylor scholarship too but I just couldn't talk myself into moving to Waco. Also, if you got the Baylor scholarship this time around, you could probably get it again next time (esp. with a higher LSAT). So, you would still have the backup option if you first choice doesn't let you in on round two.

This is my plan anyway. Has anyone done this successfully?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri May 14, 2010 11:24 am

peeves4026 wrote:

I actually did apply fairly early - I took the December LSAT, which I was told would disqualify me from early admission, however I got "held for further review" for early admission after submitting my application in mid December...

That's not "fairly early". Plenty of people who would have otherwise gotten admitted got dinged or WL'ed because they didn't apply early admission (which is Dec. 15, so it's not as if they are asking a lot). Your LSAT is 1 point lower than mine but your GPA is significantly higher, and I got in with $22K a year.

peeves4026

Postby peeves4026 » Fri May 14, 2010 12:05 pm

kalvano wrote:
peeves4026 wrote:

That's not "fairly early". Plenty of people who would have otherwise gotten admitted got dinged or WL'ed because they didn't apply early admission (which is Dec. 15, so it's not as if they are asking a lot). Your LSAT is 1 point lower than mine but your GPA is significantly higher, and I got in with $22K a year.

Ugh, yeah hearing that kills me. I was really hoping to be in with some scholarship. I guess waiting until December did really hurt. I would wait a year, but I'm really wanting to go ahead and get started next year. Really hoping to get off the waitlist last minute...

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri May 14, 2010 12:09 pm

Waiting a year versus sacrificing a far superior school and potentially $60K.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Fri May 14, 2010 12:32 pm

kalvano wrote:Waiting a year versus sacrificing a far superior school and potentially $60K.

I agree with Kalvano. Your urgency to get into law school will probably end up hurting you. The economy sucks anyway, why are you in such a rush?

I say take a year off, work on creating a truly stellar PS, and use the extra time to read hornbooks or something to ensure you're ahead of the game going into 1l. You might even get into UT.

MeetMyBackhand

Postby MeetMyBackhand » Fri May 13, 2011 8:53 pm

I must say, I went to Baylor for my undergrad and ended up loving it. That being said, I was not down for another 3 years so I didn't even apply there, but then again the only school I applied to in Texas was Texas (where I'm waitlisted as well 166/3.62 non-URM Texas res.). Just thought I'd pop in and say Waco's not nearly as bad as it sounds... I have many more reservations about moving to where I most likely am- Lexington, VA, home to 6,600 people and W&L.

Good luck with the waitlists and your decisions!

jmill

Postby jmill » Fri May 13, 2011 10:07 pm

MeetMyBackhand wrote:I must say, I went to Baylor for my undergrad and ended up loving it. That being said, I was not down for another 3 years so I didn't even apply there, but then again the only school I applied to in Texas was Texas (where I'm waitlisted as well 166/3.62 non-URM Texas res.). Just thought I'd pop in and say Waco's not nearly as bad as it sounds... I have many more reservations about moving to where I most likely am- Lexington, VA, home to 6,600 people and W&L.

Good luck with the waitlists and your decisions!

Resurrecting year old threads FTW!!!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”