Re-taking LSAT after this cycle?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jgrin

Re-taking LSAT after this cycle?

Postby jgrin » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:08 pm

I am thinking of re-taking the LSAT after I have seen what the cycle is really like. I have learned that a solid GPA doesn't matter. All that law school admissions counselors care about is the stupid LSAT because of rankings. My LSAT has kept my from achieving my goal of attending a T1 school and although I was admitted to some schools outside of T1, I have been contemplating withdrawing from those schools to re-take and be more competitive next cycle. I currently have a 153 and 3.5. With 10 more points on my LSAT, I think I could be very competitive at any school in Texas besides UT. On the last 3 practice tests that I took before the real deal, I broke 160 every time and my highest score was a 164.

MY QUESTIONS: Should I re-take and try again next year? If so, what should I do with my year off? And, How likely is it that I will hit my goal of 163?
OR
Should I just accept one of the offers from the lower ranked schools and try to make the best of it there?

champ33

Re: Re-taking LSAT after this cycle?

Postby champ33 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:37 pm

Deposit somewhere and take the test in June. If you don't like the score, which you get back in late June, attend where you deposited (or don't). If you do like your score, withdraw and apply next year.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:56 pm

champ33 wrote:Deposit somewhere and take the test in June. If you don't like the score, which you get back in late June, attend where you deposited (or don't). If you do like your score, withdraw and apply next year.

Good plan. Although, I don't know if OP can still sign up for the June test around him/her. I just found out today that every center within 100 miles from me is filled. Guess I am not retaking!

jgrin

Postby jgrin » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:04 am

r6_philly wrote:
champ33 wrote:Deposit somewhere and take the test in June. If you don't like the score, which you get back in late June, attend where you deposited (or don't). If you do like your score, withdraw and apply next year.

Good plan. Although, I don't know if OP can still sign up for the June test around him/her. I just found out today that every center within 100 miles from me is filled. Guess I am not retaking!

I don't want to rush anything and would rather re-take the October test so that I have ample time to re-prepare. This would of course mean forfeiting next year. Which thus in lies my dilemma.

jgrin

Postby jgrin » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:06 am

r6_philly wrote:

I don't want to rush anything and would rather re-take the October test so that I have ample time to re-prepare. This would of course mean forfeiting next year. Which thus in lies my dilemma.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:09 am

jgrin wrote:I don't want to rush anything and would rather re-take the October test so that I have ample time to re-prepare. This would of course mean forfeiting next year. Which thus in lies my dilemma.

I think if you can support yourself and spend ample time prepping for the retake, and if you are able to get any increase, then it is not time wasted. In the end, you are respsonsible for paying off the debt, and if you are not happy with the school that you got into, you will not be happy paying off the debt. If you can increase your score, you can get in better school or get money at the same leve schools. Better options.

I think the bottom line is, if you are not at all happy about attending, don't. It's too big a deal.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:20 am

r6_philly wrote:

Can you get on a waitlist for the test center? I got on the WL for my local test center, which is also full. But, the LSAC rep on the phone told me that either the center would add more seats, or they would rent out a local hotel as a test site.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:39 am

missinglink wrote:Can you get on a waitlist for the test center? I got on the WL for my local test center, which is also full. But, the LSAC rep on the phone told me that either the center would add more seats, or they would rent out a local hotel as a test site.

I could but I was on the fence anyway. My advisors really don't think I should retake, they feel that I need to work on the other parts of my apps because my numbers are good enough (for who I am, I sort of agree). The risk is too great. So when I found out that it was all full, I took it as my sign. :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”