CCN %'s and job prospects Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
spondee

Bronze

Re: TLS negativity getting to me

Post by spondee » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:50 pm

ChildPlease wrote:
Unemployed wrote: I heard NYU did a little better (70%?)

Relaxing the curve was a smart move.
70%????? This can't be correct. Where did you hear this?
1. They're peer schools. The numbers should be close.

2. As Unemployed has pointed out, the percentages are referring only to the pre-semester, summer OCI. Both schools (I think) then have fall OCIs during which more students may have received offers. Plus, students' own job search efforts may have landed additional offers. So the final XX% of CLS and XX% of NYU offered at NLJ250 firms will likely be different...

3. Most importantly, the difference between the numbers is small - perhaps insignificant. Small enough at least that the possible explanations are varied. It might be, as Unemployed said, due to NYU's recently kinder curve. It might be that the stereotypes are true: NYU students are kinder, more outgoing (and better interviewing) folks than their uptown, uptight peers. It might be that NYU students doubted their school's brand and undersold themselves in greater numbers to lower-ranked firms.

Or... it's just one (weird) year's results at one stage of hiring. Don't take it to be empirical proof of employer preferences. Take it as a rough estimate: about 2/3rds of CCN got offers out of the first OCI.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:53 pm

spondee wrote:
ChildPlease wrote:

No they're not, especially when talking big law.

Lysis

Bronze

Re: CCN %'s and job prospects

Post by Lysis » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:54 pm

2/3rds of the students who participated or 2/3rds of the class?

remotelyfeasible

New

Post by remotelyfeasible » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:06 pm

romothesavior wrote:
spondee wrote:
ChildPlease wrote:

Please describe two schools that *are* peers schools, if NYU and Columbia are not.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:07 pm

remotelyfeasible wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
spondee wrote:
Please describe two schools that *are* peers schools, if NYU and Columbia are not.
Stanford and Columbia.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

remotelyfeasible

New

Post by remotelyfeasible » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:09 pm

romothesavior wrote:Stanford and Columbia.
Ohhh, you're a 0L. I understand now. Carry on.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:12 pm

romothesavior wrote:
remotelyfeasible wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
spondee wrote:
Stanford and Columbia.
Stanford 0L talking, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Really liking both of these schools, this doesn't seem right. Stanford had a single-digit number of students come out of OCI without positions (we were told 2 at ASW, of those who sought Biglaw). Columbia had greater than 30%.

Now I think both these schools are well-worth sticker price, but calling them "peers" for all intents and purposes seems disingenuous. They are peers for elite biglaw opportunities in NYC, and on the east coast, but beyond that Stanford does seem to have a placement edge. This is particularly true for the bottom quartile of each class.
Last edited by Kretzy on Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:14 pm

remotelyfeasible wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Stanford and Columbia.
Ohhh, you're a 0L. I understand now. Carry on.
First of all, relax... I was just trying to rile up the whole "Columbia is waaaay better than NYU" debate that ensued after the new rankings. Looks like I succeeded.

NYU and Columbia are peer schools in the sense that they are both fantastic and they're in the same city. Columbia has traditionally outpaced NYU for biglaw. Not by a lot, but they are consistently better, and it would be odd if NYU students were faring better than Columbia this year.

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:18 pm

Kretzy wrote: Stanford 0L talking, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Really liking both of these schools, this doesn't seem right. Stanford had a single-digit number of students come out of OCI without positions (we were told 2 at ASW, of those who sought Biglaw). Columbia had greater than 30%.

Now I think both these schools are well-worth sticker price, but calling them "peers" for all intents and purposes seems disingenuous. They are peers for elite biglaw opportunities in NYC, and on the east coast, but beyond that Stanford does seem to have a placement edge. This is particularly true for the bottom quartile of each class.
Is that right? I heard the "2" people claim was with respect to how many people don't have jobs as of ASW.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:22 pm

Unemployed wrote:

Is that right? I heard the "2" people claim was with respect to how many people don't have jobs as of ASW.
My understanding was that two 2Ls who sought positions through OCI received zero offers. Knowing there are conflicting descriptions out there, I'd need someone else there to either vouch for what I've said or agree with the alternate view.

I very well could have heard wrong, but I remember thinking "damn, those are great odds for OCI" (and in fact writing that exact phrase down in my folder) after hearing the placement stats.

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:24 pm

Kretzy wrote:
Unemployed wrote:

My understanding was that two 2Ls who sought positions through OCI received zero offers. Knowing there are conflicting descriptions out there, I'd need someone else there to either vouch for what I've said or agree with the alternate view.

I very well could have heard wrong, but I remember thinking "damn, those are great odds for OCI" (and in fact writing that exact phrase down in my folder) after hearing the placement stats.
I don't really doubt it. Stanford has higher prestige, fewer students, and even fewer students actually seeking biglaw jobs...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”