CCN %'s and job prospects

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thecilent

CCN %'s and job prospects

Postby thecilent » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:52 pm

I just want to know if it's true that 2&3Ls at the median of CCN are really struggling to find jobs.. I've seen this stated in a few threads now.

Also, what % of the class at CCN do you need to be in to feel comfortable getting a big law offer.. I've heard different things, I just don't know where to look for any real data

Thoughts pleasee

Thanks
Last edited by thecilent on Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Re: TLS negativity getting to me

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:53 pm

TLS is negatively getting to me too. I can't do my f*cking homework thanks to this site. It has overtaken Facebook as my biggest tool for procrastination.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:54 pm

romothesavior wrote:TLS is negatively getting to me too. I can't do my f*cking homework thanks to this site. It has overtaken Facebook as my biggest tool for procrastination.

That's your fault for entering the cesspool that is BP.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:55 pm

romothesavior wrote:TLS is negatively getting to me too. I can't do my f*cking homework thanks to this site. It has overtaken Facebook as my biggest tool for procrastination.

lol You lovee it

hoopsguy6

Postby hoopsguy6 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:59 pm

I hear autoadmit.com is the place to go for optimism and encouragement.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:00 pm

hoopsguy6 wrote:I hear autoadmit.com is the place to go for optimism and encouragement.

Come on noww

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:00 pm

aznflyingpanda wrote:

3-4 day sand I'm already hooked to BP... dammit

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:02 pm

Cilent21 wrote:I just want to know if it's true that 2&3Ls at the median of CCN are really struggling to find jobs.. I've seen this stated in a few threads now.

Also, what % of the class at CCN do you need to be in to feel comfortable getting a big law offer.. I've heard different things, I just don't know where to look for any real data

Thoughts pleasee

Thanks

~66% of CLS 2L's got firm jobs through early interview program (Part 1 of Columbia's OCI) in 2009. ~61% of those jobs were V100. By March 2010, apparently 95% of the 2L class found "jobs" for the summer. Not all of those jobs pay $160k, nor do they all lead to permanent offers.

Deferred/no-offered 3L's are screwed.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:02 pm

JessicaTiger wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:

3-4 day sand I'm already hooked to BP... dammit

i never got the BP thing :?

nick637

Postby nick637 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:02 pm

hoopsguy6 wrote:I hear autoadmit.com is the place to go for optimism and encouragement.

definitely. i was seriously thinking about not becoming a lawyer until i stumbled upon autoadmit and xoxo. Now I just worry about how many summer homes I'll have when i undoubtedly make biglaw

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:04 pm

JDU replenishes my soul. Kind of like the legal professional's equivalent of mortification, Opus Dei-style. Purity through suffering. Something to look forward to.

My God what have I done ...

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:09 pm

You need thick skin to hang out around here. If you don't already possess it, you'll acquire it or see your soul crushed. And TLS is tamer than other 0L sites.

PS: What is BP anyways?
Last edited by JOThompson on Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:10 pm

Unemployed wrote:Deferred/no-offered 3L's are screwed.

Way to boost his spirits!!

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:12 pm

Thats funny. Usually I think this site is too positive. You can't even tell someone not to go to cooley without a bunch of idiots coming out of the woodwork to tell you that you're "mean"

spondee

Postby spondee » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:15 pm

Unemployed wrote:~66% of CLS 2L's got firm jobs through early interview program (Part 1 of Columbia's OCI) in 2009. ~61% of those jobs were V100. By March 2010, apparently 95% of the 2L class found "jobs" for the summer. Not all of those jobs pay $160k, nor do they all lead to permanent offers.

NYU's #s are similar.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:16 pm

spondee wrote:
Unemployed wrote:~66% of CLS 2L's got firm jobs through early interview program (Part 1 of Columbia's OCI) in 2009. ~61% of those jobs were V100. By March 2010, apparently 95% of the 2L class found "jobs" for the summer. Not all of those jobs pay $160k, nor do they all lead to permanent offers.

NYU's #s are similar.

I heard NYU did a little better (70%?)

Relaxing the curve was a smart move.

Bronte

Re: CCN %'s and job prospects

Postby Bronte » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:20 pm

Just because there are other websites that are more pessimistic doesn't mean this site isn't overly-pessimistic. What a lot of hyper-pessimists don't realize is that they are just as far from the truth as over-optimists.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:26 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:Thats funny. Usually I think this site is too positive. You can't even tell someone not to go to cooley without a bunch of idiots coming out of the woodwork to tell you that you're "mean"

Those people find more fault with the delivery than the content. There are perfectly respectful ways to dissuade folks from attending Cooley without demeaning them.

remotelyfeasible

Postby remotelyfeasible » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:31 pm

Cilent21 wrote:I just want to know if it's true that 2&3Ls at the median of CCN are really struggling to find jobs.. I've seen this stated in a few threads now.

Thoughts pleasee

Thanks

Anecdotes...

I know top-quarter CCN 3Ls who didn't get an offer from their firms have sent out hundreds of applications to firms and judges and have nothing.

I also know top-quarter CCN 2Ls who don't know what they are doing this summer, and others who are working various unpaid or low-pay positions that will not develop into jobs upon graduation.

I also know CCN 2L and 3L students who are below-median but have jobs at great firms lined up for summer and at graduation.

You have to be good at interviewing. Grades alone won't guarantee a job, if you suck at interviewing.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:33 pm

JOThompson wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:Thats funny. Usually I think this site is too positive. You can't even tell someone not to go to cooley without a bunch of idiots coming out of the woodwork to tell you that you're "mean"

Those people find more fault with the delivery than the content. There are perfectly respectful ways to dissuade folks from attending Cooley without demeaning them.

It has demonstrative value - a small taste of the professional degradation that's forthcoming should they fail to heed our advice. :|

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:35 pm

JOThompson wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:36 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
JOThompson wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

It's time for the five Tough Love questions with Dr. Phil.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:37 pm

remotelyfeasible wrote:

Thoughts pleasee

Thanks

Anecdotes...

I know top-quarter CCN 3Ls who didn't get an offer from their firms have sent out hundreds of applications to firms and judges and have nothing.

I also know top-quarter CCN 2Ls who don't know what they are doing this summer, and others who are working various unpaid or low-pay positions that will not develop into jobs upon graduation.

I also know CCN 2L and 3L students who are below-median but have jobs at great firms lined up for summer and at graduation.

You have to be good at interviewing. Grades alone won't guarantee a job, if you suck at interviewing.

This. I actually know a number of people with shitty grades (like sub 3.0) who charmed/resume'd their ways into market paying jobs.

ChildPlease

Postby ChildPlease » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:09 pm

Unemployed wrote:
spondee wrote:

NYU's #s are similar.

70%????? This can't be correct. Where did you hear this?

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:13 pm

ChildPlease wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
spondee wrote:

NYU's #s are similar.

70%????? This can't be correct. Where did you hear this?

NYU students on TLS. Not sure if that figure includes transfers or not. The CLS figure takes everything into account.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”